Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Up To Preferred -staus now good through 2/2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Buy Up To Preferred -staus now good through 2/2015

Its October and the Buy Up To Preferred is now effective through Feb 2015 for those that want to buy or extend status.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
That's huge, been waiting for that. I have a cash J flight on ANA next week to PEK that will bring me up to Plat, will probably buy up after that. I wonder if the DOJ hadn't stepped in to put a stay on the merger if US had planned on keeping this option around?

After the buy up to Chairman, do you get two new envoy certs or do I have to wait until March 1 for them to be deposited?

Go Gators
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by GNVGator
That's huge, been waiting for that. I have a cash J flight on ANA next week to PEK that will bring me up to Plat, will probably buy up after that. I wonder if the DOJ hadn't stepped in to put a stay on the merger if US had planned on keeping this option around?

After the buy up to Chairman, do you get two new envoy certs or do I have to wait until March 1 for them to be deposited?

Go Gators
I'm pretty sure you will get 2 immediately and then another 2 for next year. Someone else will probably be able to confirm this.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hmmm. Question for you guys.

I had to book a 7am sunday flight from FLL to PHL due to a restrictive group travel policy.

I'm also about 7000 PQMs away from CP. (I will buy up this year if i dont make it otherwise).

Do CPs get any type of benefits where if i buy up now, i can take standby on a later flight that day for no change fee?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I'm pretty sure you will get 2 immediately and then another 2 for next year. Someone else will probably be able to confirm this.
Correct. 2 as soon as you obtain Chairman and 2 when the new year (Mar 1 2014) rolls around.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by dubstyle311
Hmmm. Question for you guys.

I had to book a 7am sunday flight from FLL to PHL due to a restrictive group travel policy.

I'm also about 7000 PQMs away from CP. (I will buy up this year if i dont make it otherwise).

Do CPs get any type of benefits where if i buy up now, i can take standby on a later flight that day for no change fee?
I know for the fact that MoveUp (change to an earlier flight) fee is waived for CP as I have used it several times recently, but I do not know if that is the case for "MoveDown" (as in your case). Perhaps a call to US Airways?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
US doesn't have an option for going standby on later flights.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 2:17 am

How long does it take for the miles to post to your account when buying this way?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by starflyer
How long does it take for the miles to post to your account when buying this way?
When you "buy-up" you don't actually get the miles ... you just get the equivalent status.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by apeortdz
When you "buy-up" you don't actually get the miles ... you just get the equivalent status.
That doesn't make sense. It's clear from the offer details that you're charged the 7.5% federal excise tax. I know that tax applies to miles, I'm pretty certain it doesn't apply to "status".
Old Oct 5, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
That doesn't make sense. It's clear from the offer details that you're charged the 7.5% federal excise tax. I know that tax applies to miles, I'm pretty certain it doesn't apply to "status".
You get taxed on the price you must pay to buy the status.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze

Terms & Conditions

*Price includes federal excise tax of 7.5%. Between January and May, pricing is determined by your current or previous year’s Preferred-qualifying activity, whichever is greater. Between June and December, pricing is determined by your current year’s Preferred qualifying activity, which may result in a pricing increase. Preferred status purchased through the ‘buy up to Preferred’ program is non-refundable, and purchase does not earn you Preferred-qualifying miles or Preferred-qualifying segments. Program is subject to all Dividend Miles terms and conditions.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:14 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by jhalapin
Correct. 2 as soon as you obtain Chairman and 2 when the new year (Mar 1 2014) rolls around.
If I buy up now, when would the initial 2 SWUs expire? Is the expiration date a travel by date or purchase by date?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
Continuation Of Buy-Up....

Unfortunately, the last couple of years I flew my way to Chairman...but I wonder if this program will continue with (the new) American?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Jaxxon
Unfortunately, the last couple of years I flew my way to Chairman...but I wonder if this program will continue with (the new) American?
Possibly in some form as AA is doing a Boost Your Status promo (i.e. a form of renewal).

Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.