Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel award travel on US Airways: Recover miles and cash?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

I need to cancel an award travel on US airways. It's not cheap and cost me 65k miles. Unfortunately this is unavoidable due to last minute work commitments. On the "bright" side the award travel is in Dec, but I made the reservation a long time ago in Aug.

Is there anything I can do to recover my miles without spending too much cash? I see that US airways have a miles "redeposit" fee of $150. Is that the only way to recover back my 65k miles?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I need to cancel an award travel on US airways. It's not cheap and cost me 65k miles. Unfortunately this is unavoidable due to last minute work commitments. On the "bright" side the award travel is in Dec, but I made the reservation a long time ago in Aug.

Is there anything I can do to recover my miles without spending too much cash? I see that US airways have a miles "redeposit" fee of $150. Is that the only way to recover back my 65k miles?
Don't know your itinerary but schedule changes are your friend. I had to xl an award flight and just held on to there was a schedule change. It was 5 minutes....I called, not expecting anything, but what the heck. They xld and refunded all my miles and $$$$ with no penalty.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cruisr
Don't know your itinerary but schedule changes are your friend. I had to xl an award flight and just held on to there was a schedule change. It was 5 minutes....I called, not expecting anything, but what the heck. They xld and refunded all my miles and $$$$ with no penalty.
What do you mean by schedule change? Is that the one where the flight timing change, and you call in to complain about it? I checked the itinerary and there's only minor changes like a few min difference here and there...

Last edited by Rommie2k6; Oct 1, 2013 at 5:05 pm
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond, SPG Platinum

Can you change the dates without a fee? Or change the itinerary? It may be more economical.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Or have your employer reimburse?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
US Airways is one of the least flexible awards - fee to change, redeposit, really anything. Your best bet is a schedule change. If there hasn't been one, wait until as late as you can before paying $150 to redeposit miles to see if a schedule change occurs.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:40 pm

Noob question...other than checking periodically, is there a good way to track schedule changes? TIA
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by love2ft
Noob question...other than checking periodically, is there a good way to track schedule changes? TIA
Sign up for AwardWallet (free) and add your US Airways info. They'll send you an email if anything changes.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:03 pm

Speaking of which, can you generally cancel if the aircraft type changed? We're flying at the end of the month and had upgraded to F with miles, 3 seats together in Row 4. Well, now we're in 1A, 1C, 3C because it appears the aircraft changed to something with only 3 rows in F. Any chance I'd get my fare and miles back? It's not that the seating is a huge deal, it's that we don't really want to go on the trip since we're flying to the same city the previous weekend for a last minute family thing.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond, SPG Platinum

As in most of these cases, the answer is YRMV. Give them a call have everything ready. For what it's worth I have seen Passengers on a flight because F seats were not lie flat in F due to an aircraft change. They were however willing to travel on that day. For that its worth, I have not seen much on FT regarding your exact situation. My advice is call and see.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by LM225
Sign up for AwardWallet (free) and add your US Airways info. They'll send you an email if anything changes.
Thanks for the tip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.