Gold vs. Silver -- complimentary upgrades?

Old Sep 27, 13, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Question Gold vs. Silver -- complimentary upgrades?

Has anybody gone from Silver to Gold status and noticed a significant increase in upgrade frequency?

Trying to determine if 3 days eligibility (before flight) is noticeably better than Silver's 1 day.

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 13, 8:48 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Silver to Gold got me far higher upgrade frequency on shorts hops like BWI-CLT. Made no difference on transcons -- didn't start seeing regular upgrades there until CP.
Old Sep 27, 13, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by drew4392 View Post
Has anybody gone from Silver to Gold status and noticed a significant increase in upgrade frequency?

Trying to determine if 3 days eligibility (before flight) is noticeably better than Silver's 1 day.

Thanks!
I have only my own personal evidence to offer and it's limited because I was only silver for a short time due to the trial, but I was 4/12 on upgrade-eligible flights as a silver and have been 25/32 as a gold. Since becoming gold essentially the only upgrades that haven't been a guarantee have been hub-hub flights between PHL/CLT and PHX, which I'm about 50/50 on.

Aside from those, typically the only upgrades I miss are when I change flights or book at the last minute. However I typically try to arrange my travel in and out of ALB to be on Republic to PHL or mainline to CLT which never have any significant load in F so that makes up a fair portion of my upgrades. Obviously a lot depends on the routes you'd be flying and days/times. If you're on flights with few preferred travelers, you may not see a difference, but that roughly 50/50 chance I've enjoyed on hub-hub is essentially nonexistent as a silver.
Old Sep 27, 13, 2:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Gold is definitely worth it.
Old Sep 28, 13, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
Gold has higher probability by far
Old Sep 29, 13, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Plat
Absolutely. I was silver for years, then made Gold one year due to a huge long-haul trip. The upgrade rates were so much better that I go out of my way (and spend a few extra $) to ensure I make Gold ever since.

I don't track my upgrade percentage, but unless I'm flying PHL/BOS or PHL/PHX, I typically get upgraded. Since my wife and I try to find off-peak times for vacation flights, we nearly always get upgraded together on vacation trips as well. That is definitely worth it to me... keeping her happy that is.
Old Sep 29, 13, 10:00 am

I did not notice more upgrades at first - but since they now seem to be holding first class seats leaving them available for purchase instead of upgrade longer I believe the gold status helps. On a couple of flights this year I received the email saying no availability 3 days out then at 1 day I got the upgrade. So I am pretty sure my gold beat out any silver that close.

Some chairman have told me their upgrades have been coming at 4 or 3 days out instead of 7. So without a doubt the higher the better.
Old Sep 29, 13, 4:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat (ex-SPG); airline free agent (ex-AA)
Colleagues who prefer to fly US (personally, I fly UA) have said that Gold is definitely better than silver in terms of upgrade rates, especially at peak times.
Old Sep 30, 13, 8:03 am

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LM225 View Post
Silver to Gold got me far higher upgrade frequency on shorts hops like BWI-CLT. Made no difference on transcons -- didn't start seeing regular upgrades there until CP.
Agreed. I barely got upgraded on the major routes with silver status. You may be lucky if the route you fly isn't full of other elites. Once I hit platinum I started getting upgraded on a regular basis.
Old Sep 30, 13, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, US Plat, UA Silver
I agree that gold upgrades are more frequent, but I feel I am on a run of no upgrades in the past 2 months. Only 2 out of last 12 segments for me were upgrades. Also, I always seem to be told that I am first on the standby list, but have yet to make it off the list.

Really pissed on Friday as I walk into coach, passing-by 2 US crewpersons sitting in First Class seats.
Old Sep 30, 13, 8:55 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, DL Silver, Avis First, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
I fly through CLT most and I never get upgraded on the CLT-TPA leg during a week day, but I just got the email this morning ALB-CLT-TPA all upgrades. I'm 12 segments away from keeping Gold, but I was shocked I nailed it on a weekday on a mid day flight.
Old Sep 30, 13, 6:03 pm

All things equal gold is always better than silver but the magnitude depends on where in that tier you are. Remember that within status you are sorted by miles flown for that year. So a high silver and a low gold are not that far apart. Mid silver to mid gold could make a world of difference.
Old Sep 30, 13, 6:23 pm

Programs: US GP, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis First, Enterprise Plat
In my experience, it does make a difference, but it's really all about the times and places of the flights...
Old Oct 2, 13, 7:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Kimpton Inner Circle, Hertz PC
Gold was a huge upgrade for me. I did the trial this spring and when I was silver I got no upgrades. The first flight I took as gold (PHL-SFO) I was upgraded to First and a majority of my flights from that point forward were upgraded as well. Also, star gold makes a big difference when flying on partner airlines. Go for the Gold!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: