Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Changes for LAX international arrivals / bus to TBIT for formalities (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
The current state of affairs for international arrivals at LAX is as under:

Due to on-going construction at Los Angeles International Airport, American’s operation will be affected over the course of the next year or more. For the foreseeable future, American’s international flight arrivals, with the exception of its Shanghai plane, will land and unload passengers at Terminal 4. The international passengers will then use nearby stairs to access the ramp where they will board busses and be transported to the new Federal Inspection Service facility at the new Thomas Bradley International Terminal. American’s Shanghai flight will arrive at TBIT. All of American’s international departures will remain at Terminal 4 for the near future.

American is working closely with Los Angeles Airport Authority officials to lessen the impact airport construction has on customers and airline employees. The construction projects are necessary to enhance our customer travel experience in the future. We appreciate everyone’s understanding.(Source; HT: gleff)
It is understood that PVG flights will be arriving directly to TBIT.
Print Wikipost

Changes for LAX international arrivals / bus to TBIT for formalities (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
So much for using LAX as my gateway to NRT later this year. DFW it is.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by iplaybass
So much for using LAX as my gateway to NRT later this year. DFW it is.
I've often chosen DFW over LAX for NRT connections (even if DFW is an east-bound flight going to LAX for me) because (a) no remote terminal bus is required and (b) it's a MD80 (full size plane) to DFW but now it's CRJ-200s for me to LAX. ...and it's extra miles earned for me.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:24 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Are there any GE kiosks in T4? Can use them even if CBP officers are no there and clear immigration? I am arriving with only carry on.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:12 am
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Did you contact AA CS to share your feedback? I'm afraid that unless there is some vocal expressions of dissatisfaction, AA will not make any changes.
Does anyone have experience of how Special Services are dealing with passengers who cannot do stairs? Is there no elevator? This cannot be ADA compliant.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Are there any GE kiosks in T4? Can use them even if CBP officers are no there and clear immigration? I am arriving with only carry on.
Absolutely. You have the standard kiosks, with one CBP officer right around from them just in case help is needed. It was a bit crazy as it seems the CBP officer was doing duty as the emergency officer for folks with premium cabin seats and tight connections, so it was a bit busy in the area. No matter how crazy the whole place seems, you will be out of there in under 10 minutes with GE and carry-on only.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I'd like to bet that the chances of anyone being able to go through CBT with only a kiosk present, but no CBP personnel, are about zero.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Absolutely. You have the standard kiosks, with one CBP officer right around from them just in case help is needed. It was a bit crazy as it seems the CBP officer was doing duty as the emergency officer for folks with premium cabin seats and tight connections, so it was a bit busy in the area. No matter how crazy the whole place seems, you will be out of there in under 10 minutes with GE and carry-on only.
Do you mean to say that arriving international passengers with GE pass through in T4, using the kiosk, with one CBP officer on duty? The other passengers schlepp to TBIT?

If so, I amend my earlier post.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Do you mean to say that arriving international passengers with GE pass through in T4, using the kiosk, with one CBP officer on duty? The other passengers schlepp to TBIT?
This is exactly my question???
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
So, is the closure of secure walkway between Terminal 4 CBP and TBIT CBP permanent? When everything is done, what will happen to Terminal 4 CBP?

I am wondering when all is done then will all international arrival and departure be from TBIT? Or Gate 41 and Gate 43 will remain international arrival capable?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
AA is eventually getting some gates in TBIT. I'd assume that is where they would try to park their international arrivals, so they could clear immigration at TBIT.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
AA is eventually getting some gates in TBIT. I'd assume that is where they would try to park their international arrivals, so they could clear immigration at TBIT.
More bad news then. For years T4 has been one of the best CBP in US and TBIT one of the worst. AA137 arrival (admittedly In First, from door to baggage carousel 7 minutes as visitor. Aeromexico from Mexico City, TBIT 2.5 hours from door to baggage carousel (then 20 Minute line to get through customs.) I guess the accountants are at work here, can't be the marketers.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I agree with you, brp, and love the 136/137 flights even in Coach. Row 31, window, has acres of legroom and doesn't get bumped by food carts.
With the change to the 77W, row 16 is now the prime real estate (if such exists) on these flights.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2P
Well, I was on AA137 today and I can confirm that we pulled into Gate 41 and were bused to TBIT. I was in row 17 and was about the 3rd person in line when they cut off boarding for the first bus, so I had to wait for the second bus, which took another 10 minutes. It really sucked.

At the same time, AA182 (PVG-LAX) arrived and pulled directly into a gate at TBIT (Gate 152 according to aa.com) so those pax didn't need to be bused.

At least the walk back to T4 for my connecting flight was really short. If they can get gate space at TBIT for intl arrivals I wouldn't mind the walk, but if they keep up the busing I'm avoiding intl arrivals at LAX until the construction's complete.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:58 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Anyone know why 182 gets tbit and 137 doesn't? With 137 back to a noon departure in about a month, wonder if cbp @ t4 will stay open?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:10 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingVoyage
I had the "pleasure" of being on the first load of AA137 to try the new gauntlet yesterday. AA T4 international arrival passengers now have to carry their bags down two flights of stairs, be stuffed in a bus, drive to the other side of the airport, wait in the bus, walk back in TBIT almost all the way to T4 before proceeding to immigration. A year of that gauntlet is ridiculous. (coupled with the LHR T5 <-> T3 gauntlet and surly LHR security staff makes it even worse)

AA should either unload international inbounds at TBIT (keep outbounds at T4 by tugging back to gate 41) or should reopen the T4 immigration or gasp, use the DL immigration in T5 like they did several years ago.

There were 10+ GE machines in the new TBIT.
Originally Posted by chanp
Anyone know why 182 gets tbit and 137 doesn't? With 137 back to a noon departure in about a month, wonder if cbp @ t4 will stay open?
Earlier this week while be rebooked at the AC I asked the agent about the situation with T4 CBP and when it would reopen. According to her the closure was due to lack of sufficient CBP personnel to staff it and AA would like to see it reopen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.