Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coach passengers in First Class Bathrooms

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
There is a very funny episode of Come Fly With Me where the lead FC FA makes the same observation.

For anyone that has Netflix, Come Fly With Me is worth watching. There are only 6 shows and my son keeps asking me if they (the BBC) will make more.
Penny is my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baid-Ua7gGg

(sorry on the quality...all I could find for this scene on YouTube)
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:01 pm

USAIR & AA F/C Bathroom Policy

FWIW -

Last year - or the year before - I asked a US flight attendant about the stream of coach folks using the F/C loo. She said within the USA, she can tell them to not use it, but, as long they do not loiter near the cockpit door, she cannot stop them from using it. (Please do not shoot the messenger. I am only repeating what she said. )

I added a post on the AA F/C bathroom thread (yes there is one!) about a recent complaint I had with the queue of coach passengers waiting to use the F/C bathroom. The response back was AA has a new policy that specifically allows coach passengers to use the first class bathroom.

My POV - I pay more for the lower ratio using the bathroom. Who am I? Nobody. But, I did pay a lot more for my ticket. I think (or thought) it included a lower ratio for the bathroom. But, AA has clearly said that is not the case. Okay. If that is the rule, that is the rule.

Here is a link if you are interested in the AA thread on this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...athroom-6.html
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
thanks for the update!

reading your post in the other thread... I agree it's a bit much that an F pax has to join the queue! One would have though F class got 'next available'
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by 110pgl
My POV - I pay more for the lower ratio using the bathroom.
So you'd pay FC fares for a coach seat if one of the coach lavs were reserved for you? One could make the argument that they pay more for and fill in anything.

While I can understand allowing some coach passengers to use the forward lav (not FC lav BTW), I will disagree with any passengers congregating in the forward aisle for purely security reasons. Those with less mobility or those stuck with the card blocking the aisle between them and the aft lavs, etc should be able to use the forward lav if it's more convenient. Your higher fare already gets you a wider seat, more pitch, a meal if the flight is long enough or the snack basket if not, etc. If you want whatever you desire may I suggest a chartered flight?

Jim
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
So you'd pay FC fares for a coach seat if one of the coach lavs were reserved for you? One could make the argument that they pay more for and fill in anything.

While I can understand allowing some coach passengers to use the forward lav (not FC lav BTW), I will disagree with any passengers congregating in the forward aisle for purely security reasons. Those with less mobility or those stuck with the card blocking the aisle between them and the aft lavs, etc should be able to use the forward lav if it's more convenient. Your higher fare already gets you a wider seat, more pitch, a meal if the flight is long enough or the snack basket if not, etc. If you want whatever you desire may I suggest a chartered flight?

Jim
international flights (at least ones not operated by USA carriers) have dedicated bathrooms for premium cabins. So the argument that 'all services' bar the WC = first class is a fallacy.

There is no question that those who need to use the forward WCs should be entitled to do so... the elderly, disabled. But an able bodied passenger, when there is no cart blocking the aisle, who just wants to use it because it is marginally closer?

Why don't they pay the little bit extra to fly F? Oh wait - they can't afford it! Or perhaps they should charter the private jet if they want to use any WC at any time just because they feel like it?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:38 pm

Jim
I disagree with you. I believe part of the first class ticket includes the use of the first class lav or forward lav, almost exclusively. (Of course there are exceptions, but they are few.) But, as I mentioned, AA appears to agree with you.

The rest of the world does not have this problem... in Asia and Europe coach passengers are simply not allowed to use the forward lav. In 50+ domestic flights in Europe and Asia, I can count on one hand the number of exceptions to this policy.

But, if you as a coach passenger want to use the forward lav, may I suggest you buy a first class ticket!

(Let's not get too serious about this... no reason to get in a pis#ing contest about this! )
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
international flights (at least ones not operated by USA carriers) have dedicated bathrooms for premium cabins. So the argument that 'all services' bar the WC = first class is a fallacy.

There is no question that those who need to use the forward WCs should be entitled to do so... the elderly, disabled. But an able bodied passenger, when there is no cart blocking the aisle, who just wants to use it because it is marginally closer?

Why don't they pay the little bit extra to fly F? Oh wait - they can't afford it! Or perhaps they should charter the private jet if they want to use any WC at any time just because they feel like it?
You're wasting your time trying to convince the 'US unwashed' of anything other than their right for something they wish not to pay for.

Awhile back, I suggested that rather than a curtain separating FC from the village they should use an electrified fence, although now I think more about it, perhaps issuing tasters to the FA's would be more effective.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:39 pm

My, a nest of hornets is astirring...

International: Generally wide-body planes with lavs forward and aft in the coach cabin. That eliminates the infirm or trapped by the cart arguments for using the forward lav(s).

The "great unwashed" is nothing but an "I can afford more than you so you should be glad to even have access to a lav" elitist argument.

More people fly narrow-body planes in this country than not. Belittling them because they don't make as much, fly enough to get plentiful award tickets (how's that "I paid..." argument work then), want to save money, whatever doesn't make them second class citizens. It just makes those who want to treat them as "the great unwashed" idiots...correct that, elitist idiots.

Maybe a spend requirement should be applied to lav use - spend over $1/mile and use any lav you want. $0.50-$1/mile and get to use a lav once, less than $0.50 and hold it.

Jim
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

International: Generally wide-body planes with lavs forward and aft in the coach cabin. That eliminates the infirm or trapped by the cart arguments for using the forward lav(s).

The "great unwashed" is nothing but an "I can afford more than you so you should be glad to even have access to a lav" elitist argument.

More people fly narrow-body planes in this country than not. Belittling them because they don't make as much, fly enough to get plentiful award tickets (how's that "I paid..." argument work then), want to save money, whatever doesn't make them second class citizens. It just makes those who want to treat them as "the great unwashed" idiots...correct that, elitist idiots.

Maybe a spend requirement should be applied to lav use - spend over $1/mile and use any lav you want. $0.50-$1/mile and get to use a lav once, less than $0.50 and hold it.

Jim
no. because when I make a decision to fly coach I use the allocated restrooms. if there is a cart in the aisle (how often and for how long does that happen on domestic coach usa flights!!??) I wait until the aisle is clear.

when people drive to the mall they manage to hold on until they arrive... same on a plane... you wait five minutes until the aisle is clear.

If I am flying coach I know I am saving money, and I get a comparable level of service and access to amenities.

I don't feel belittled when flying coach, just on that flight I can't afford the higher cabin. there is nothing elitist.

the only people raising elitist arguments are those who cannot afford first class yet desire F because they think it means something (other than having the spare cash to buy a better class of service).

elderly or disabled, sure, use the closest WC. able bodies but can't be bothered to control your bladder, or are too lazy to walk a few rows, or can't be bothered to wait... get some class!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Somehow I could see you on the Titanic...waving your arms about...spouting how we all should be equal...and unfortunately, of course disappearing beneath the waves...
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Of all the threads to be resurrected....
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:51 pm

Jim
I think you are trying to make this an elitist argument when it is not. No one is saying "idiots".

Should they add 10 bathrooms to every plane. Sure - if people were going to pay twice as much. But they do not. You want something extra without paying for it. Should coach get a meal when first gets a meal? No. They did not pay for it. Should coach get a bigger seat? No. They did not pay for it. Should coach get a better ratio of bathrooms? No. They did not pay for it.

It is simply you get what you pay for. If you want to use the front lav, buy a front seat (aka First Class).

But again, we can debate this, but have fun with it. No reason for anyone to get angry about it. We should all try not to take it too serious!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Should they add 10 bathrooms to every plane. Sure - if people were going to pay twice as much. But they do not. You want something extra without paying for it. Should coach get a meal when first gets a meal? No. They did not pay for it. Should coach get a bigger seat? No. They did not pay for it. Should coach get a better ratio of bathrooms? No. They did not pay for it.
In fact, it's the airline's lav to do with as it pleases. Restrict it to FC only, restrict it except for a few common sense cases, make all the lavs FCFS - they own it so they set the rules. Don't like the rules, find another airline. Aside from the bigger seat/more legroom that you pay for, what else do you want for the same money? Limousine service from your home/office to the airplane? 5 star meals on every flight? The finest brands of alcohol? A personal masseuse?

Jim
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
International, you stay in your own cabin...
Local, nearest is fine with me.
I've seen some FC guys take a bath, and get dressed in there, before landing..
I've walked back to J a few times myself.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
This thread is bordering on ridiculous!

So, may I add this idea ...

Even numbered flights allow coach to use F lavs.
Odd numbered flights - not allowed.

Seriously now, my take is that F uses F and Y uses Y, with minor sensible exceptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.