Veteran man kicked off from US Airways Express plane

Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by scottsam66
I'm sorry but, I completely disagree with those that feel the man's service to our country doesn't impact the story It most certainly does. It's that service, which caused his condition which requires a service dog. It's his veteran status that probably makes him a little skittish, and why he wanted his dog with him--next to him. It's his service, that caused the airline to rebook with no penalty, and provide free hotel. Those that say it doesn't matter, want to asuage their own guilt, I'd say ($.10 psychology) over them justifying this man being removed from the flight.
Yes, he didn't obey the rules, and have the dog sit on the floor. I get that. But I choose to believe it's his service that brought about his condition, and the need to have the dog by his side. It's like blaming someone with a broken leg, for having to use crutches.
I agree to that. The pilots are not exactly covering themselves in glory here. The media coverage and baiting is absolutely cringe-worthy though
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:40 pm
GAC
Suspended

It's that service, which caused his condition which requires a service dog..
Care to let us know what condition it may be and exactly what service the dog is performing?

This is getting so silly I'm about to get my pup labeled as a service dog because so far I too seem to qualify. Of course I would not really need a dog say as a blind person but why should I be the only one not taking my pup with me every where based on selfishness.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I'm sorry but, I completely disagree with those that feel the man's service to our country doesn't impact the story It most certainly does. It's that service, which caused his condition which requires a service dog. It's his veteran status that probably makes him a little skittish, and why he wanted his dog with him--next to him. It's his service, that caused the airline to rebook with no penalty, and provide free hotel. Those that say it doesn't matter, want to asuage their own guilt, I'd say ($.10 psychology) over them justifying this man being removed from the flight.
Yes, he didn't obey the rules, and have the dog sit on the floor. I get that. But I choose to believe it's his service that brought about his condition, and the need to have the dog by his side. It's like blaming someone with a broken leg, for having to use crutches.
Sorry, but it's more like blaming someone with a broken leg for sticking their crutches across your lap. Most people are not debating this person's need for a service dog. But with any special privilege or accommodation there are responsibilities, and in exchange for the privilege or accommodation of being allowed to have his dog in the cabin on the flight, the passenger must hold up his responsibility to ensure the dog is where it is supposed to be.

Military members who are disabled as a result of their service are not allowed to park their cars sideways across three spaces, even if they are displaying a handicapped placard. They still have to follow the rules that come with their special access arrangements. It doesn't matter if you're a firefighter injured battling a housefire, a military member injured in battle, or an IT geek injured falling off the roof to adjust your satellite dish: if you park in a handicapped spot, you still need to stay inside the lines and if you bring your service dog on a plane, the dog needs to stay on the floor.

(FWIW I come from a long line of cops, firefighters, and military personnel; I am a big fan of all folks who serve their communities and their nation.)
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by GAC
Care to let us know what condition it may be and exactly what service the dog is performing?

This is getting so silly I'm about to get my pup labeled as a service dog because so far I too seem to qualify. Of course I would not really need a dog say as a blind person but why should I be the only one not taking my pup with me every where based on selfishness.
Do a little research on what it is, that service dogs do. And what benefits they have on our wounded veterans.
You are conflating two issues--peoples misuse of "service dog" status, to have their pet fly free, with the genuine and proven effects these animals can have on traumatized people (including veterans).
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:34 am
GAC
Suspended

They remain pretty simple questions: what is his disability and what is the dog doing for it?

I'm seeing tons of sad people claiming that their pup cheers them up which makes a mockery of the entire service dog program.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by GAC
They remain pretty simple questions: what is his disability and what is the dog doing for it?

I'm seeing tons of sad people claiming that their pup cheers them up which makes a mockery of the entire service dog program.
May you or your loved ones never go through a severe bout of depression. If a service dog has the ability to cheer up- as you say- clinically depressed people than they hands down are worthwhile.
From what I've seen and read, service dogs have a tremendous calming effect on veterans with PTSD.
Your mind is clearly made up, it seems.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
May you or your loved ones never go through a severe bout of depression. If a service dog has the ability to cheer up- as you say- clinically depressed people than they hands down are worthwhile.
From what I've seen and read, service dogs have a tremendous calming effect on veterans with PTSD.
However, there are numerous people who will exaggerate their "condition" so they can have their pet be considered a "service animal".
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:41 pm
GAC
Suspended

You should read more about how the ADA clearly made up its mind on the subject.

Anyways, based on your mind I vote that we ALL be allowed to take our pups and kitties wherever we want.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by GAC
You should read more about how the ADA clearly made up its mind on the subject.

Anyways, based on your mind I vote that we ALL be allowed to take our pups and kitties wherever we want.
No, only those diagnosed with a clinical condition, that a licensed practitioner believes will benefit from such a service animal.
And certainly veterans who benefit from it.

I'll research ADA, and you research what's happening to veterans who come back home. Check out there suicide rates, their unemployment rates, they success getting their disability benefits...Please research those things and get back to me.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) has nothing to do with emotional support animals on airplanes, as the ADA is inapplicable on commercial aircraft.

Those wishing to learn about emotional support animals on airplanes would be better served by studying the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA).

Here is a link to the DoT rules on the subject:

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules...20382-2008.pdf
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) has nothing to do with emotional support animals on airplanes, as the ADA is inapplicable on commercial aircraft.

Those wishing to learn about emotional support animals on airplanes would be better served by studying the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA).

Here is a link to the DoT rules on the subject:

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules...20382-2008.pdf
Thank you FWAAA
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:15 pm
GAC
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Its sort of a trick on words as the ADA defines the requirements for service animals.

and you research what's happening to veterans who come back home. Check out there suicide rates, their unemployment rates, they success getting their disability benefits...Please research those things and get back to me.
Sadly no research is required because I live it daily. There is not one combat vet who does not have some sort of depression. Give a few answers a known certain way and PTSD is there for the taking. This guys seems to have the lingo down to a science. Anybody yelling what he yelled fell in love with being a entitled victim a very long time ago.

At this point I guess we should more this topic to Omni so I can more forcefully call BS.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:09 am

The whole episode had nothing to do with the vet needing or not needing a service dog - and everything to do with the dog being unable to fasten his seatbelt low and securely across his lap.

During the tirade, the man seemed to know all the rules, except the one where the dog had to lay on the floor. Jeez, it's a golden retriever, not a chiuahua. I doubt it was the first time he has travelled with the dog.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.