Search

US Airways reports second data breach in 30 days

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH, DL/NW, US, HHon, SPG
US Airways reports second data breach in 30 days

From local Charlotte TV:
"For the second time in 30 days, US Airways has reported a data breach of confidential information in North Carolina.

The airline estimates it impacted nearly 500 customers in the Tar Heel state and 7,700 overall.

US Airways first realized there had been a breach when customers noticed some of their frequent flyer miles were missing....."
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...30-days/nZHNZ/

(This probably is related to Feliceesg's post on July 31.)
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:00 am

My US Airways Mastercard data was stolen and used to make fraudulent purchases. Is this related to that?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
Sounds like it was the DM database that was compromised. I changed my password today just in case.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
My US Airways Mastercard data was stolen and used to make fraudulent purchases. Is this related to that?
No, US wouldn't have any reason to retain your US Airways Mastercard. That is a function of the bank.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DillMan
No, US wouldn't have any reason to retain your US Airways Mastercard.
Why do you say that?

I'm not suggesting it happened, but my US DM profile retains my credit card data (per my consent) in order to facilitate faster online purchasing of tickets. If a hacker broke into account data and passwords, isn't it possible they got stored customer credit card data as well?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing I always wonder is how the on-board credit card applications are handled. One would fill out the application in a crowded space when others can look then hand over all that private information to an FA who flies all over... What happens next?

I am sure it is to the FA's benefit to make sure the applications are sent in since there must be some incentive for them. However, I wonder what process is in place to protect the paperwork.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:21 pm

I bought some miles and my Chase Sapphire was compromised. Only charges recently were US, Hotels.com & Booking.com. It could also be pure coincidence I suppose. Just use this card for travel.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Aug 10, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.