FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Quality of snacks at the Clubs and in-flight FC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1485853-quality-snacks-clubs-flight-fc.html)

longnguk Jul 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Quality of snacks at the Clubs and in-flight FC

For the last couple of weeks I've noticed that the snacks' ingredients have changed, for the worse! It used to be mixed nuts, then pretzels and then dried-fruit/nuts mixes and now something consists of some totally tasteless wheat-based shiny bits (at least that were available in PHX lounges). Anyone else doesn't like the new stuffs, or it's just me?

Regarding snacks, I thought I saw something in the in-flight magazine that the FC trans-con now being served meals as well as snack basket, yet I have not seen the promised baskets for the last couple of trips PHX-CLT-PHX. Perhaps PHX-CLT is not considered trans-con?

WiscAZ Jul 17, 2013 9:36 pm

On PHX to BWI they came around with the snack basket. On JFK to PHX they had the basket but never came around. Reason I know was I saw the FA offer it to a guy who declined the lunch service.

Biggie Fries Jul 18, 2013 3:23 am

Agree that the latest Club snack mix ("shiny bits" a good description!) is pretty downscale.

NJTraveler Jul 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Clubs always have the excellent multi-grain chips and salsa. And I don't think that the snack baskets are bad, they at least offer several options.

hts Jul 19, 2013 9:10 am

I was in one of the Phx lounges this week and noticed the shiny bits too. I was flying to SF, and when I ducked into a 7-11 near Fisherman's Wharf, I noticed a whole shelf of pre-packaged foot with Japanese writing on them and pictures that looked remarkably similar to the shiny junk.

DCdeacon Jul 19, 2013 9:22 am

I was in the LAX club last week, and they had Sun Chips. I don't feel like I've seen those in the CLT/PHX clubs lately--have I just missed those or was that a one-off thing at LAX?

I've been 100% for getting snack basket service in addition to meal service on transcon F since they've rolled that out...but those have been CLT-LAX-CLT, so I don't know if I can help with the "is CLT-PHX a transcon" question above.

AlphaTango Jul 19, 2013 9:34 am

Originally Posted by hts (Post 21124378)
pre-packaged foot with Japanese writing on them

Can't wait to see the feet in the snack basket. :D

Superguy Jul 19, 2013 10:59 am

I like the snack baskets. The chips are good and the fig bars are good too.

I miss the Lotus cookies though. The biscotti that replaced them sucks. :td:

Food in the clubs is pretty much on par with what UA offers: cookies, snack mix, cheese and crackers, and veggies. The chips and salsa are ok, but I'm not a fan of the chips they have most of the time. The bonus is that some clubs in PHL and CLT have soup around the international departure times. The soups have been quite good IMO, and perfect for a light bite.

Any domestic lounge, be it UA or US, is going to be a disappointment compared to other *A carriers.

scottsam66 Jul 19, 2013 5:15 pm

Very subjective, but I prefer the UA lounge snacks over US. Like the carrots and ranch dressing, love the Mint Milanos. Also like the snack dispensers that usually have a trail mix, or gold fish.
US does have those good sweet potato chips though. The CLT lounge snack area always stinks like stale olives too. I like that UA cheese is sealed not out in the open.
Never tried the soup.
Cheers.

Argonott Jul 19, 2013 5:39 pm

I've noticed how much nicer the snacks are in the Delta lounge in LGA that US club members are using while they renovate the US club. Much better selection...maybe 10 items, both savory and sweet. Wish US would copy Delta.

IADCAflyer Jul 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Argonott (Post 21126998)
I've noticed how much nicer the snacks are in the Delta lounge in LGA that US club members are using while they renovate the US club. Much better selection...maybe 10 items, both savory and sweet. Wish US would copy Delta.

I too noticed the variety and streamlined nature of the DL club at LGA.

Is this an anomaly in order to serve the business type clientele inherent in the NYC area or is that typical of all DL Sky Clubs?

jr57 Jul 19, 2013 8:13 pm

My experience with the transcon snack basket has been hit or miss. Had it from PHL-LAX, but not LAX-PHL. Not offered CLT-LAS, but LAS-CLT it was offered to someone who turned down lunch, not to everyone. No sign of it PHL-SFO-PHL, but that was a few months back, so it may have been prior to them rolling it out.

McFlyPHL Jul 19, 2013 8:26 pm

I'ts pretty rare that I get the snack basket on my twice weekly transcons. It's been catered all but one flight. I don't eat the meals (too much salt!), so often ask for a pack of nuts or a fig bar.

IMO, this is an FA execution issue.