500-mile minimum question

Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
500-mile minimum question

Hi all,

Quick question. I have about 22k miles (and no status) and two trips coming up. The first is a ~2k mile roundtrip that includes segments less than 500 miles. The second, a couple days after the first, is a ~4k roundtrip with all segments > 500 miles. If I:

1. Don't include my FF# with the first trip
2. Fly the second trip and credit it
3. Once the second trip posts and I officially have status, retroactively credit the first trip

Will I get the 500-mile segment mins for the first trip?

I realize that in theory I shouldn't as I didn't have status at the time of the first trip, but I figure there's no harm in making sure...
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm not certain on the retroactive credit, but depending on what your travel plans are for the next 90 days, it might make sense to enroll in trial preferred. You'd get 500 mins and be eligible for upgrades on your upcoming trips. Since you're already on the cusp of status, it would probably only make sense for you if you will fly >15k miles over the next 90 days. What this would mean for you is you'd qualify for gold for the remainder of this year and next, rather than silver.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
You are eligible to receive retroactive credit, so I don't see any harm in your strategy. Worst-case scenario they only give you the credit according to your status at the time, which puts you no worse-off than before and it takes a couple weeks to load.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Hi all,

Quick question. I have about 22k miles (and no status) and two trips coming up. The first is a ~2k mile roundtrip that includes segments less than 500 miles. The second, a couple days after the first, is a ~4k roundtrip with all segments > 500 miles. If I:

1. Don't include my FF# with the first trip
2. Fly the second trip and credit it
3. Once the second trip posts and I officially have status, retroactively credit the first trip

Will I get the 500-mile segment mins for the first trip?

I realize that in theory I shouldn't as I didn't have status at the time of the first trip, but I figure there's no harm in making sure...
I like how you think. Stick around here. ^
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I'm guessing it won't work, but that's just a guess and I, too, would be interested in whether it does work out for you.

But is it cost-free to you? That is, on the 2nd trip, wouldn't there be a flight or maybe two where you will have status (like on the return) if you go ahead and credit the 1st trip miles? Don't know where you are flying, but you may be costing yourself a decent exit aisle seat, or even an upgrade!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I'm guessing it won't work, but that's just a guess and I, too, would be interested in whether it does work out for you.

But is it cost-free to you? That is, on the 2nd trip, wouldn't there be a flight or maybe two where you will have status (like on the return) if you go ahead and credit the 1st trip miles? Don't know where you are flying, but you may be costing yourself a decent exit aisle seat, or even an upgrade!
In this case, I think it is cost-free. The 2nd trip is actually on UA, not US; and for whatever reason, although I lost my previous US Silver status in February, I still have (or at least had as of a month ago) Star Silver which can get me E+ on UA when available. In any case, I'll update if the retroactive credit winds up working in my favor!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
After this past week's set of trips, I wish they'd give you miles based on actual miles flown. Yesterday's CLT-DCA hop was schedule for 350 miles. We wound up flying 650.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by ITRADE
After this past week's set of trips, I wish they'd give you miles based on actual miles flown. Yesterday's CLT-DCA hop was schedule for 350 miles. We wound up flying 650.
Ha, indeed. I've been on a bunch of dinner hour PHL-CLT flights in the past several weeks that have rerouted down the East Coast to the central South Carolina coast before heading NW to CLT since the STOEN waypoint (Modena PA area) west of PHL was blocked by storms or ATC congestion, while OOD (Woodstown NJ) routings were available.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...150Z/KCLT/KDCA
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:27 am

In this case, I think it is cost-free. The 2nd trip is actually on UA, not US; and for whatever reason, although I lost my previous US Silver status in February, I still have (or at least had as of a month ago) Star Silver which can get me E+ on UA when available. In any case, I'll update if the retroactive credit winds up working in my favor!
You may get lucky, but UA does not offer E+ for *S or even *G. I have spent several flights in the way back of a UA 772 when there were empty seats in E+.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris4096
You may get lucky, but UA does not offer E+ for *S or even *G. I have spent several flights in the way back of a UA 772 when there were empty seats in E+.

I'm assuming I did get pretty lucky last time then? I got free E+ on 3 out of 4 legs of that UA trip (ORD-LAX-SFO-ORD-DCA; got all but LAX-SFO) about a month ago...
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries

Got it. Then by all means go for it and let us know what happens.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:18 pm

I'm assuming I did get pretty lucky last time then? I got free E+ on 3 out of 4 legs of that UA trip (ORD-LAX-SFO-ORD-DCA; got all but LAX-SFO) about a month ago...
It is not a stated benefit but it never hurts to ask. If E- fills up they obviously have to move some people up to the E+ portion and I've found in those situations I'm much more likely to get E+.

My GF is on a international first class award trip from GRU-IAH-CHS next week and UA says she has to buy E+ for the express leg even though it's a first class award. Not that it really matters on a CRJ but UA can be very stingy about E+ if there's space in the way back.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Just an update -- I did get the 500 mins. I assume this is a YMMV type thing, but I'm not complaining...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.