Flight 799 Diverted to Azores

Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Flight 799 Diverted to Azores

I read that US Flight 799 from AMS to PHL diverted to the Azores yesterday for an oil leak. I saw they were sending a 767 to pick up the passengers from the 757 as an additional segment.

What I was wondering was how often does a plane get diverted in the middle of the Atlantic like this? What type of accommodations exist at a remote airfield in the middle of the ocean for the passengers?

Anyone experience it that can relate their experience.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:40 pm

Does not happen often (in comparison to the number of TATL flights). The Azores is one of the standard diversion airports for TATL flights. Twin engine a/c that fly routes with a long flying time from a diversion airport (ETOPS flights) have very high standards when it comes to engine maintenance items.

There are a lot of hotel rooms in the Azores. Much better to divert there than some of the truly remote islands in the Pacific. A Delta 747 flying HNL-KIX diverted to Midway a couple of years ago with a cracked windshield - http://avherald.com/h?article=43e52c40 --- the folks on the island had to build a set of stairs (they didn't have any high enough to reach a 747 door).

Coincidentally, a Condor 767 actually diverted to the Azores the previous day - and the replacement aircraft dispatched to continue the flight the following day ended up diverting to Bermuda... group of unlucky passengers there.

Last edited by tlott; Jun 27, 2013 at 12:47 pm
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
The Azores

I spent a lot of time at the airport there (flying for the Navy) and, while it is never fun to get diverted, I couldn't think of a nice place to spend an extra day. The place is gorgeous.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Azores are hardly a "remote airfield". Lot of holiday traffic from Europe. Plenty of hotel space.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In January, a DL 777 diverted to a much more remote island in the Atlantic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/bl...otographs.html
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tlott
Coincidentally, a Condor 767 actually diverted to the Azores the previous day - and the replacement aircraft dispatched to continue the flight the following day ended up diverting to Bermuda... group of unlucky passengers there.
But the best of all was the Air Transat A-330 that lost BOTH engines and glided over 70 miles to an engine-less landing in the Azores!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
(ETOPS flights)
Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim.

(Given that FAA calls it an abbreviation for "Extended Operations," the UK's CAA defines ETOPS as "Extended range Twin Operations," EASA defines it as "Extended Range Operation with Two-Engine Aeroplanes" and ICAO as "Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards, I argue my definition is as likely as theirs.)
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Much better to divert there than some of the truly remote islands in the Pacific. A Delta 747 flying HNL-KIX diverted to Midway a couple of years ago with a cracked windshield - http://avherald.com/h?article=43e52c40 --- the folks on the island had to build a set of stairs (they didn't have any high enough to reach a 747 door).
Just pulled this area up on google maps. That runway doesn't look very long. I'm surprised they had enuf space to get off the ground once they finally took off again!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
In January, a DL 777 diverted to a much more remote island in the Atlantic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/bl...otographs.html
This thread is an amazing read, if you have the time.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by abeflyer
What I was wondering was how often does a plane get diverted in the middle of the Atlantic like this? What type of accommodations exist at a remote airfield in the middle of the ocean for the passengers?

Anyone experience it that can relate their experience.
TATL diversions are common. If the plane is on a southern track, TEF is the place to go. More north, the common diversion points are KEF and SNN.

If you are interested in diversions, best thing to do is read www.avherald.com. Just do a search for "divert". Here's the link to its story on the US799 diversion.

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=464779a8&opt=0
Old Jun 29, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
More north, the common diversion points are KEF and SNN.
Don't SFJ and UAK in Greenland occasionally get diversions as well?

Last edited by thomwithanh; Jun 29, 2013 at 4:56 pm
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Don't SFJ and UAK in Greenland occasionally get diversions as well?
Yes, but KEF and SNN are far more common.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:04 pm

Thumbs up Azores

The Azores consists of 9 islands and one of them has an airstrip as long and wide that the space shuttle could land on it. We have excellent hotels and accommodation. Come visit us! The best island is Faial and I can personally help you find your vacation home.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Yes, but KEF and SNN are far more common.
Because the N Atlantic tracks are normally further north making those airports closer.

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.