Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do some flights not have any mileage upgrades to FC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I'm still trying to use miles to upgrade a relative (who's flying CLT-BOS on August 17 with a paid coach ticket and is not Preferred). The US site shows that regular awards on that date are the "high" level, and the Preferred agents say that no seats in FC have been released for upgrades; all are being held for revenue sales.

Do some flights just never have any FC seats released for upgrades with miles? Or do all flights have at least one FC seat that opens up at some point to be upgraded with miles?

Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:34 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If they don't sell out by a week prior to the flight, you should check daily for the "low" award inventory seats to start opening up (which is also when they start giving them out to elites, of course).

I find that when I set EF alerts for O and I inventory, I do get the alerts at some point in the week leading up to the flight if F isn't totally sold out.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I'm still trying to use miles to upgrade a relative (who's flying CLT-BOS on August 17 with a paid coach ticket and is not Preferred). ....
Aug 17 is a Saturday ... normally a slow travel day for Preferreds, so less folks vying for complimentary Preferred upgrades closer in. Presently, all nonstops that day CLT-BOS show F9 (i.e. wide open), but that may not mean much since it's still about 8 weeks out.

Odds are that you'd be able to upgrade with miles on that Saturday flight, but you'd have to keep checking regularly (or use EF as PHL suggests above).
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
They often open up at about 10 days out. You should check frequently at about 2 weeks out.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

THANKS! Very helpful!
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I set up an ExpertFlyer alert for FC upgrades for the flight (using, I think, "I" and "O" inventory).

Is ExpertFlyer pretty accurate and quick--when US does release a seat for upgrade on the flight, will I definitely get a notice from ExpertFlyer right away? Or is ExpertFlyer hit or miss, so I should keep calling? I've started calling now every 2 days.

Thank you.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Aug 3, 2013 at 6:12 pm Reason: Error in post
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EP

I've had mixed results with EF. When there is upgrade availability, which is O class (domestic) I haven't gotten an alert. However, over the last 48 hours before a flight, where typically any F seat is also available for an upgrade, I've set an alert for F, gotten the alert and scored the upgrade. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Curious as to other's experiences. Thanks for bringing it up, NYCommuter!
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EP

One other note--I have seen flights that have plenty of availability go to F2 or even F0 when the sweeps run, usually at the plat window and the silver window. On those flights, it seems that there never are any O seats "available" It seems the seats are not available until the sweeps run, then the sweep takes all the available seats at once. I suppose it could have been available for some time overnight, but haven't tried to follow that closely.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Wouldn't it make sense (and save money for US) to be able to just add yourself to an "upgrade with miles" list rather than have to keep calling US? Maybe you could do it online or by calling, and on the conditions that if you're on the list when the upgrade becomes available, the miles are automatically deducted and that you could remove yourself from the list beforehand if you want.

What am I missing here?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Wouldn't it make sense (and save money for US) to be able to just add yourself to an "upgrade with miles" list rather than have to keep calling US? Maybe you could do it online or by calling, and on the conditions that if you're on the list when the upgrade becomes available, the miles are automatically deducted and that you could remove yourself from the list beforehand if you want.

What am I missing here?
UA and AA both have a waitlist for the "upgrade with miles". However US Airways does not. I don't know if Delta has it or not.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

8 days out now and still "all FC seats are being held for sale"- lesson learned not to count on a mileage upgrade!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
I think you'll be fine. With all flights being wide open in F, wait until the preferred upgrade sweeps start to run - I'm guessing some mileage upgrades will open up at T+7 or T+4.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:36 pm

Anyone know why I don't see PHL-TLV or TLV-PHL on EF Award & Upgrades? Can't get it to show the direct flight. Curious about general upgrade availability before deciding whether or not to share miles for the bonus.

I understand I'd want to look for O inventory since it's international?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

What am I missing here?
SHARES can't handle it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.