Search

US Club is becoming a zoo

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 5:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G

What's with all the trailer trash types?

Last week at PHX-A a guy put his feet up on the armchair headboard. To top it off, he has his shoes off.

Today, at CLT-C, another guy is coughing and sneezing right by the food table.

You must be kidding me. If you did these things in LH FCL, you'd be kicked out of the lounge.

Last edited by burlax; May 11, 2013 at 6:16 am
Old May 11, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by burlax
What's with all the trailer trash types?

Last week at PHX-A a guy put his feet up on the headboard of the armchair headboard. To top it off, he has his shoes off.

Today, at CLT-C, another guy is coughing and sneezing right by the food table.

You must be kidding me. If you did these things in LH FCL, you'd be kicked out of the lounge.
Hopefully it's just people using their credit card pass and never coming back
Old May 11, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
The annoying thing for me is noise: kids running around, people yapping on cell phones and, even in the "quiet" room in Charlotte, a teenager yelling, over and over, "Daddy!" to get his father's attention, and a couple talking about "relationship issues".

At least the "quiet" room should be redesignated as "solo traveler/no cell phone" room. Groups are almost always not totally quiet.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:51 am

I'm currently in the Solarium at CLT C Club. Don't ever remember seeing this many people on a Saturday morning. Seems like lots of Kettles this weekend due to Mothers Day. Flew JAX-BWI-JAX yesterday and everything from security to gate agents were dealing with people unfamiliar with the system.

Corporate Amex Platininums may be to blame. Lots of them get flashed here and at DL SkyClubs.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
The annoying thing for me is noise: kids running around, people yapping on cell phones and, even in the "quiet" room in Charlotte, a teenager yelling, over and over, "Daddy!" to get his father's attention, and a couple talking about "relationship issues".

At least the "quiet" room should be redesignated as "solo traveler/no cell phone" room. Groups are almost always not totally quiet.
I usually have quite the opposite experience in the CLT C/D quiet room. Seems the rest of the club is a zoo, but it's almost as if nobody knows about the quiet room at all. Love the fact there's direct access to the bar too.
Old May 11, 2013, 9:00 am
Suspended

This isn't just a USAir problem. Try a DL lounge anywhere in the US right now. It's gotten so bad, especially at LAX and LGA that I've taken to sitting outside the lounge instead of in it.

I think lounge access is becoming easier to get. With USAir it's the annual passes Platinums...with DL it's "have AMEX x, y, or z? Come in for $25 or free"..
Old May 11, 2013, 10:05 am

Meh, any time I go through PHL or CLT, the US club is full of business travelers yapping away on their cell phones or having loud brag-versations with their colleagues.
We recently flew through the B lounge at CLT - it was packed and I'm pretty sure my 1 year old was the quietest person in the room. What's it matter how they get in?

In any case, who the hell takes their shoes off in there? I'd like to think you'd be asked to leave in that case. I will tip my hat to the PHL B/C, CLT B and DCA Center Pier crews, though - no matter how crowded it's ever been, I've always had a friendly bartender and a clean restroom. The dragon at the front desk, not so much. And the snack/drink area is almost always a wreck, even without a crowd. But always a clean restroom and solid bartender.

Come to think of it, I think I sent that exact note to the regional manager from the DCA center pier lounge.
Old May 11, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Have a stroll over to a UA lounge in a hub - that feels like a zoo. US banks their flights, so the concourses are really full when people are connecting. Still the lounges feel like a nice oasis. I started having the PHX club bartender recognize me, which is quite impressive as i'm LGA based and don't connect through PHX that often.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by ericcheung
Have a stroll over to a UA lounge in a hub - that feels like a zoo. US banks their flights, so the concourses are really full when people are connecting. Still the lounges feel like a nice oasis. I started having the PHX club bartender recognize me, which is quite impressive as i'm LGA based and don't connect through PHX that often.
Good bartenders are like that. Having the guy at Vino Volo PHL term C ask me if I'll be having the Marcona Almonds "as usual" is both scary and awesome at the same time.
Old May 11, 2013, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
This sounds like a typical day at any domestic club.
Old May 11, 2013, 8:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Had a very pleasant and quiet visit at the CLT B Club the other day. And frankly, even if I was in a Club where someone had their feet on a chair or were sneezing by the food, I wouldn't let it bother me. I'd just focus on me and my visit and stay stress free.
Old May 12, 2013, 2:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by CMK10
Had a very pleasant and quiet visit at the CLT B Club the other day. And frankly, even if I was in a Club where someone had their feet on a chair or were sneezing by the food, I wouldn't let it bother me. I'd just focus on me and my visit and stay stress free.
The whole point of the 'club' is to weed out people who cannot keep the decorum.

That's why you will not be admitted to some 'clubs' without proper attire. It doesn't have to go to extremes, such as asking a person to leave because he is not wearing a tie, but I'd like to think that putting one's dirty socks on an armchair headboard should definitely fall into that category.

Same goes for coughing and sneezing by the food. It is gross, and a public health issue on top of that. Don't spread your germs. If you need to sneeze or to cough, use a restroom. What's next? Having farting / burping contests in the quiet area?
Old May 12, 2013, 5:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by burlax
What's next? Having farting / burping contests in the quiet area?
Unfortunately, based on at least one recent flight, that's usually saved until you are on board, strapped in, with nowhere to go.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Hyatt Platinum

The sole benefit these clubs used to have was peace and quit.

By giving away access to credit card holders, international travelers and who knows who else they have effectively killed that benefit.

They used to at least bake cookies...now they throw a stack of Milanos on the counter and run.

I hardly go in anymore...can usually find a less hectic corner of the airport.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I wasn't aware there was a sole benefit to the Club. I thought there were numerous benefits such as free wifi, dedicated agents to help in the event of IROPS, comfortable chairs, nicer bathrooms etc.

Welcome to 2013, society has changed. People don't dress up very much or have impeccable manners. Yes, it sucks. But I don't think we're going back to the way it was. The sooner you accept the situation for what it is and make the best of it the better off you'll be. The Club isn't going to turn away people and/or revenue so you are going to get people you look down your nose at. Why let it bother you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.