Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Up to 100% bonus on buying & gifting Dividend Miles - through May 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 4:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...s/default.html

No restrictions (above 30K for full bonus). Potentially a time to load up before merger. Could it be one of the lasts promos if not the last?
Old May 1, 2013, 5:01 am

Programs: Everyone!
This is the same deal many got in March (variable bonus month). So, after taxes and fees 100,000 miles costs $1,881.25 or $.018 per mile which is a little better than the $0.0227 I paid during the 50% share bonus last month ("share" miles are bought at a lower rate than "buy/gift" miles, making up some of the difference in the bonus percentage) when I had to top off for an award.

Still nowhere near the $0.01135 per mile share promotion in October last fall, but I agre these can't be coming much longer (we say that every month) because AA miles are much pricier.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Got it too... targeted?
Old May 1, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Got it too... targeted?
Received the emaill as well but it's not a targeted offer....open to all.
Old May 1, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Hi Folks, I'm new to DM and having some difficulty getting my head around the program as lots of the answers I'm looking for are proving difficult to pin down. Thus I'd be grateful if some of you experts could give me a brief and quick overview as to whether it would be worthwhile buying the majority of the miles required under this promotion to to either a return business class trip from the UK (London or Edinburgh) to Bangkok (or Hong Kong with a stopover in Bangkok if that is possible)? Are one way and cash+miles options also available? Currently I have just over 11k DM.
Thanks,
SF
Old May 1, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: Everyone!
Neither one-way nor cash+miles are options. Also, unless you are booking for travel (and know there is availability) in the next 6 months...it has sounded like some availability with Star Alliance partners is being blocked in the future since they are going to One.

As far as if it is "worth" it, that all depends on how much you would pay for that ticket normally less the value of the miles you would earn if you had bought the ticket. Also, don't forget you still pay the taxes and fees on awards on US so that and the opportunity cost of mileage earned both eat into the value.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
Hi Folks, I'm new to DM and having some difficulty getting my head around the program as lots of the answers I'm looking for are proving difficult to pin down. Thus I'd be grateful if some of you experts could give me a brief and quick overview as to whether it would be worthwhile buying the majority of the miles required under this promotion to to either a return business class trip from the UK (London or Edinburgh) to Bangkok (or Hong Kong with a stopover in Bangkok if that is possible)? Are one way and cash+miles options also available? Currently I have just over 11k DM.
Thanks,
SF
We can't decide if it's worthwhile because we have no idea of your financial situation and the level of comfort you require when you travel- this is a highly personal decision. Granted, this is FT where everyone wants discounts on traveling in premium classes, so: yes, it is likely to be a significant discount on prices you would pay for a similar business class ticket. US does not offer one way or cash+ miles options like BD did (that you might be fondly remembering and hoping that US offers), so this award assumes you do not need a great deal of flexibility in your travel plans (US charges $150 USD for any changes once the award is booked and does not allow changes after travel commences, and of course award space may disappear after you book).

BKK and HKG are in different zones (HKG is North Asia, BKK is South Asia), so in theory a stopover (>24 hours) in BKK could mean an additional 10,000 miles (90K as opposed to 80K). If the stopover is less than 24 hours, you would not be charged this (Europe-BKK-HKG or v.v. should be an accepted routing, since you will see routings to HKG through BKK if you use the routing tool on the *A website). Also, US is inconsistent in charging additional mileage when stopovers in higher-priced zones occur (worst case you could hold an award, buy the additional miles).
Old May 1, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Is there any annual limit for buying US miles?

I know AA has the limit of 60K miles(combined with gift miles) per year per person but I am not sure for US.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:35 am

Is there an easy way to get 10-20k more miles quickly? I can only buy 100k through the promo, but would like an extra 10-20k to visit South Asia or South Pacific from North America.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by duke2013
Is there an easy way to get 10-20k more miles quickly? I can only buy 100k through the promo, but would like an extra 10-20k to visit South Asia or South Pacific from North America.
It's a buy or "gift" miles promotion. So, for example, you can buy the 100K miles (50K + 50K) and then from another account someone can gift 20K (10K + 10K). That is how it use to work and hope its the same now.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AZjohns
It's a buy or "gift" miles promotion. So, for example, you can buy the 100K miles (50K + 50K) and then from another account someone can gift 20K (10K + 10K). That is how it use to work and hope its the same now.
You're forgetting something: The maximum number of Buy and Gift Bonus miles that can be received by one member for this offer is 50,000 bonus miles.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by AZjohns
I believe the limit is on the total number of miles received in total for any one account. Once you buy the 100K for your account, then that account wouldn't be eligible for any more bonus miles through either buying or gifting.

The maximum number of Buy and Gift Bonus miles that can be received by one member for this offer is 50,000 bonus miles. All miles purchased beyond this limit will not be eligible for a bonus.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by RTW1
You're forgetting something: The maximum number of Buy and Gift Bonus miles that can be received by one member for this offer is 50,000 bonus miles.
Originally Posted by bevoinva
I believe the limit is on the total number of miles received in total for any one account. Once you buy the 100K for your account, then that account wouldn't be eligible for any more bonus miles through either buying or gifting.
OK, then scratch that idea
Old May 1, 2013, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Is there any annual limit for buying US miles?

I know AA has the limit of 60K miles(combined with gift miles) per year per person but I am not sure for US.
No, the limit is on a per promotion basis. No annual maximum of either purchases or bonuses.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
No, the limit is on a per promotion basis. No annual maximum of either purchases or bonuses.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.