Continuation Flight counts as one segment

Old Apr 30, 13, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
Continuation Flight counts as one segment

I recently flew UA 444 from CMH-LAX (stopover in ORD).

After my travel was completed, I checked my mileage balance and noticed that I received 1,995 miles.

While the flight indeed stopped in ORD, and we changed planes- I was only credited one segment for the trip. Is that correct?

According to webflyer, I should've received at least 2,035 miles...and I feel, another segment. Does my complaint have merit?
Old Apr 30, 13, 6:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007 View Post
I recently flew UA 444 from CMH-LAX (stopover in ORD).

After my travel was completed, I checked my mileage balance and noticed that I received 1,995 miles.

While the flight indeed stopped in ORD, and we changed planes- I was only credited one segment for the trip. Is that correct?

According to webflyer, I should've received at least 2,035 miles...and I feel, another segment. Does my complaint have merit?
The posting was correct. In Dividend Miles (and on most other carriers), one flight number means one segment and miles as if it were a nonstop flight.
Old Apr 30, 13, 6:49 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
1 segment is correct -- but in my opinion, totally bogus.

Even if you have one flight number, with a stop, a crew change, and a plane change... you still only get 1 segment.

I honestly dont understand why its one flight number. I'd love to hear (paging Jim Boeingboy) what the purpose of this is?
Old Apr 30, 13, 6:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
It's a complete marketing thing. Airlines do this so that in search engines it pops the results up higher for a direct flight with 1 flight number (and 1 stop) than a standard 1 stop flight with 2 flight numbers.

As for earning miles, it's just a way that airlines cheap out in giving out miles...nothing more, nothing less.
Old Apr 30, 13, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
There are two competing opinions -

(1) poor airlines are running out of flight numbers, so they are FORCED to jumble continuing flights into one direct flight with one number ;

(2) sleazy airlines do this to trick people into thinking direct flights are non-stop ( and some kettles really do get tricked ) and generally employ "direct" flight excuse to give fewer miles and other bennies.
Old Apr 30, 13, 9:24 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by bkafrick View Post
I'd love to hear (paging Jim Boeingboy) what the purpose of this is?
It started in the olden age when tickets were purchased directly from the airline or through a travel agent - no internet CRSes to make most purchases transparent.

To be competitive with non-stop competition the airlines came up with the "direct" listing - one flight number that involved an intermediate stop. This allowed "direct" flights to show up higher in the list of options - the much vaulted "1st page" of the CRS display. As a correlory to direct flights, the "change of gage" was adopted, allowing the CRS' to show connections to international flights higher up the display - airlines were able to display Stumpwater to CDG on page 1 of the display even though a connection was involved. When little ole PI started London service, it had 6 or so flight numbers into CLT that carried over to the single LGW flight, which itself had 5 flight numbers. Thus, PI showed 6 cities having "change of gage" direct flights to LGW.

There is little likelihood that a major airline will "run out" of flight numbers since they control the range of numbers used (the FAA does try to winnow out similiar callsigns in the same airspace at the same time to avoid confusion). So US, with 1000+ flights per day, isn't going to run out of possible flight numbers - they can just reallocate a range of flight numbers from Express to mainline.

Jim
Old May 1, 13, 12:41 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Awesome. Thanks Jim.
Old May 1, 13, 1:34 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
There is no rule that should stop you from breaking this one segments into two (confirmed by US Airways Club angels in PHX - as long as the connection is not breaking the minimum connecting time rules you can fly like this). I do this all the time flying US6 ORD-PHX and 'connecting' to US6 PHX-LAS. No questions asked... I leave my hand baggage on board and go the the Club in PHX and re-board 30 minutes later. Two segments always post on my account.

PS. I buy via a travel agency. I guess you cannot buy this 'connection' on usairways.com

Last edited by TPJ; May 2, 13 at 10:55 am
Old May 1, 13, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, Marriott Gold LT, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
PS. I buy via a travel agency. I guess you cannot buy this 'connection' on usairways.com
I have, in the past, been able to buy these on US.com. Use the multi-segment search and plug in the intermediate stop. In some cases, the price goes up a few $ as there is an additional airport tax... YMMV.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: