FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Paid Upgrade and using United (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1463050-paid-upgrade-using-united.html)

rocket2247 Apr 30, 13 11:07 am

Paid Upgrade and using United

I have 2 questions:

1. I flew from LAS to DCA last week and decided to pay $225 to upgrade to first class as it was an overnight flight and wanted to sleep. I do not have status. Anyway, because I flew first class, does that get me any additional miles than what I would have got flying in coach?

2. I have another trip to Vegas in June. If I book my flight with United using my DM number will I still accumulate PQM's with Usairways flying on United? I wasn't sure with the AA merger if that would change.

Thanks for the help.

burlax Apr 30, 13 11:23 am

Originally Posted by rocket2247 (Post 20676419)
I have 2 questions:

1. I flew from LAS to DCA last week and decided to pay $225 to upgrade to first class as it was an overnight flight and wanted to sleep. I do not have status. Anyway, because I flew first class, does that get me any additional miles than what I would have got flying in coach?

If you paid for upgrade , you will accrue PQMs based on the purchased fare basis. So, you will not get CoS bonus. If your ticket says (O), no CoS bonus. If it says (A) or (F), you may get bonus.

2. I have another trip to Vegas in June. If I book my flight with United using my DM number will I still accumulate PQM's with Usairways flying on United? I wasn't sure with the AA merger if that would change.

US/AA merger is unlikely to happen this year. Mergers of this scale require lots of work and usually take a few years to implement.

So, your June trip is most likely safe. All UA cash fares earn at least 100% PQMs when credited to US.

Warp Apr 30, 13 11:25 am

I have 2 questions:

Thanks for the help.

1.) No, you'll only getting the miles of your booked class of service, so you won't get any extra.

2.) AA merger hasn't gone through yet, they are still separate and still if different alliances. So if you use your DM number for your flight in June you will still get DM miles.

Warp Apr 30, 13 11:26 am

Oops, looks like I got beat.

rocket2247 Apr 30, 13 11:41 am

It cost me $225 to upgrade to first class from LAS to DCA on Usairways. I am not sure if that is reasonable or not. My flight in June coming back from Vegas will most likely be an overnight flight again. Do you know if I wanted to upgrade again if it will be cheaper on US or United?

Often1 Apr 30, 13 11:45 am

No way of telling. There may not even be any UG's available.

However, before you book, particularly on US, look at what it would cost to actually book a discounted FC ticket. Very often those are only a couple of $ more than some steerage fares.

burlax Apr 30, 13 11:48 am

Originally Posted by rocket2247 (Post 20676611)
It cost me $225 to upgrade to first class from LAS to DCA on Usairways. I am not sure if that is reasonable or not. My flight in June coming back from Vegas will most likely be an overnight flight again. Do you know if I wanted to upgrade again if it will be cheaper on US or United?

$225 is reasonable for a transcon. US is not very sophisticated and used to charge a fixed $ amount per 500 miles, IIRC. Coming out of LAS, you should have just bought trial preferred for $200 ( or ask people here for a comp ). LAS is not an elite heavy route, so good chances of getting upgraded as a silver.

rocket2247 Apr 30, 13 12:18 pm

Okay, thanks. Just curious as I will probably pay for the upgrade again so I can sleep, just wasn't sure if it would be cheaper on US or United. Thanks.

chris4096 Apr 30, 13 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by rocket2247 (Post 20676840)
Okay, thanks. Just curious as I will probably pay for the upgrade again so I can sleep, just wasn't sure if it would be cheaper on US or United. Thanks.

US flies LAS-DCA and UA flies LAS-IAD. So if DCA is a better airport for you I would consider that first.

rocket2247 Apr 30, 13 12:26 pm

No, my final destination is PIT, so I don't really care where I connect.

burlax Apr 30, 13 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by rocket2247 (Post 20676840)

If I wanted to UG, I'd book on the airline where I have status or miles. Mile UGs cost $200 for a transcon ( if you value RDMs at 2cpm ) and status waives the fee.

For cash UG, if you can score ToD UG on UA, that would certainly be cheaper, but it seems that UA offers those only to unsuspecting travelers.

Another possibility - if you have friends with status on US - ask them if they are traveling on the same date so they can book you on the same PNR with them so you can get free companion UG.

rocket2247 Apr 30, 13 12:32 pm

Thanks for all the help. I will probably get status(Silver) by end of July. Once I do that, will I be eligible for free upgrades even if I buy a discounted ticket? I've never had status before so not sure of exactly how it works...

burlax Apr 30, 13 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by rocket2247 (Post 20676910)
Thanks for all the help. I will probably get status(Silver) by end of July. Once I do that, will I be eligible for free upgrades even if I buy a discounted ticket? I've never had status before so not sure of exactly how it works...

Yes, as a preferred you will be eligible for upgrade on all cash fares.

If you decide to buy trial preferred and already have reservations booked, be sure to refresh them ( remove and re-add your DM #), to ensure they are properly processed for upgrades.

Flying out of LAS, you should probably get upgraded on at least half of your flights, especially if you fly at inconvenient times.

If you already have flights scheduled, be sure to buy trial preferred BEFORE you fly them.

thomwithanh Apr 30, 13 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 20676641)
No way of telling. There may not even be any UG's available.

However, before you book, particularly on US, look at what it would cost to actually book a discounted FC ticket. Very often those are only a couple of $ more than some steerage fares.

Or, if you're thinking about the future and AAdvantage miles that will eventually be combined with USDM, check F fares on American. I've found transcon P fares (PHL-SAN seems to be a good route for this) for under a grand. On a few shorter routes, AA F is actually cheaper than US coach.

burlax Apr 30, 13 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by thomwithanh (Post 20678349)
Or, if you're thinking about the future and AAdvantage miles that will eventually be combined with USDM, check F fares on American. I've found transcon P fares (PHL-SAN seems to be a good route for this) for under a grand. On a few shorter routes, AA F is actually cheaper than US coach.

I second that.

I was eyeing some cheap non-premium transcons on AA in F, but ended up buying US coach that was just a bit cheaper, and to add insult to injury, didn't get upgraded on the longer segment either :(

Can't wait to be able to credit either flight to a single FF program.