FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Bulkhead Vs. Exit Row? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1462023-bulkhead-vs-exit-row.html)

tackyjan Apr 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Bulkhead Vs. Exit Row?

I am flying US Airways flight 65 (A320) from DCA to SAN on May 25. I have the choice between a bulkhead seat or an exit row seat (both aisle seats). Which one is preferable?

Also, does anyone know if the bulkhead seats on an A320 also have reduced seat width (due to the tray table being in the armrest)?

Thanks!

Michael El Apr 26, 2013 5:06 pm

I'm 6-3 and prefer the exit row on the 320 because my feet touch the bulkhead in row 4 thereby restricting legroom. And yes the seats have reduced width due to the tray table being in the armrest.

gruss Apr 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I agree with exit row over bulkhead. Was stuck in 4F two weeks ago on a PHL-PHX flight and it was not the most comfortable (I'm 6'-2"). No ability to stretch your legs out in front of you like you can with a seat to put them under.

The only real advantage to the bulkhead was that it was possible to get out from the window seat without making everyone get up, but I would avoid it altogether and take an exit aisle seat. Preferably 11C or 11D for full recline.

bluwater Apr 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Agree - and your bag can be stowed under seat in exit row. Big plus. Keep in kind that the bulkhead can recline while the forward exit rows do not.

Superguy Apr 29, 2013 11:28 am

I prefer exit row due to underseat storage, but bulkheads aren't bad.

I've had problems with the exit rows being hot on the A320s though.

beachbrew Apr 29, 2013 11:31 am

bulkhead, im kinda shorter 5 7,makes me feel like i have more space, and i can be off quickley

McSam18 Apr 29, 2013 12:02 pm

My preference is for bulkhead. I'll give up foot space just so I don't have someone reclining into my space.

Alphaguy Apr 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Traveling by myself, I prefer an aisle exit row... otherwise bulkhead.

With a 3.5yo in tow, bulkhead is my only option...

jr57 Apr 29, 2013 5:06 pm

I go for the exit row every time on the A320 (and most planes, really). I'm 6'2, and I just need a little more leg room than the bulkhead provides. Also, it's nice having under-seat storage for my laptop bag. It's bad enough fighting for overhead space for a roller board.

treznor Apr 30, 2013 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by ShaneMcConnell (Post 20670709)
My preference is for bulkhead. I'll give up foot space just so I don't have someone reclining into my space.

This is a differentiator to me. If I'm expecting to need to work on my laptop I'll aim for the bulkhead to make it easier to do so. Otherwise I go for the exit row.

teese35 Apr 30, 2013 8:55 pm

I'm 6' 5" def prefer the exit row. Lack of footspace in the bulkhead is uncomfortable.

NotThatGuy2012 May 1, 2013 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by beachbrew (Post 20670467)
bulkhead, im kinda shorter 5 7,makes me feel like i have more space, and i can be off quickley

Bulkhead for all 5' 6" of me too, especially if working on laptop. Less claustrophobic and since I prefer a window, getting in and out is easier. Fortunately 100% UG's this year so it's been mostly bulkhead F for the same reasons.

shadowsjc Nov 8, 2013 2:34 pm

bump - any more thoughts? window bulkhead vs. aisle exit row on a 737-800.

Biggie Fries Nov 8, 2013 3:18 pm

Same answer. If you are over 6' you have to really want to be off that plane fast to prefer the bulkhead to the exit, especially exit aisle.

lizs Nov 8, 2013 4:41 pm

Definitely agree it depends on height. If you're 5'3 you can prop your feet on the bulkhead though and the tray being built into seat means no passengers body parts will "overflow" into your seat ^

On an a321 nothing is better than that massive amount of leg room in the forward exit row though, I take no reclining easily when it means seat 9E, even though at my height that much leg room is overkill.