Bulkhead Vs. Exit Row?

Old Nov 8, 13, 5:43 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
I am a huge Bulkhead fan... I just love having no one in front of me... plus exit rows sometimes have a strange armrest and can have a chilly draft..

PS I am a Window seat only guy
Old Nov 8, 13, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
I'm 6' 5" and never can get comfortable in the bulkhead due to lack of foot space. Really limits ability to stretch out. Exit row all day!
Old Nov 9, 13, 1:20 am

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by teese35 View Post
I'm 6' 5" and never can get comfortable in the bulkhead due to lack of foot space. Really limits ability to stretch out. Exit row all day!
I am 6'4 also... but never seemed to have a problem in bulkhead... hmmm
Old Nov 9, 13, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
seatguru.com - bookmark it, it's great

A320
Bulkheads - Yellow - "has restricted legroom due to the position of the bulkhead. The tray tables are in the armrest...slightly reducing seat width"

Exit Rows - "has extra leg room due to the exit row". Front exit row does not recline, so 1/2 Yellow, 1/2 Green.

I always take the exit row, the back one when there are two.

Originally Posted by shadowsjc View Post
bump - any more thoughts? window bulkhead vs. aisle exit row on a 737-800.
When did US get 738s?
Old Nov 9, 13, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Exit Row - I'm 6'3" and if I can avoid a child or dog sitting next to me I take that opportunity 100% of the time. I also don't like fighting for overhead space.
Old Nov 9, 13, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by ShaneMcConnell View Post
My preference is for bulkhead. I'll give up foot space just so I don't have someone reclining into my space.
I believe seats in front of an exit row do not recline.
Old Nov 9, 13, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, RR Gold
Originally Posted by WiscAZ View Post
I believe seats in front of an exit row do not recline.
The two times (first and last) I was in the exit row, the seat in front of me did recline. Whether this was by design or by flaw, I'm not sure.

I was on an A319 that did same day turns in BDA. I just remember it left me with such a bad impression it was the last time I ever selected an exit row seat.
Old Nov 9, 13, 9:30 am

Programs: None
When US began getting the A320 family one of the features was that the FAs could change the seats to either recline or not with a mechanism built into the 3 seat unit. Whether that survived updates to the cabin or different seat manufacturers don't offer such a feature is something that I don't know. Maybe one of our resident FAs remembers that feature and what happened to it.

Jim
Old Nov 12, 13, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy View Post
When US began getting the A320 family one of the features was that the FAs could change the seats to either recline or not with a mechanism built into the 3 seat unit. Whether that survived updates to the cabin or different seat manufacturers don't offer such a feature is something that I don't know. Maybe one of our resident FAs remembers that feature and what happened to it.

Jim
I know WN did something like that. The seat recline would be locked for takeoff and landing, but would be released during the flight for pax comfort. Seems like a good compromise to me. Nonreclining seats suck.

On another note, I'll say that Seatguru's giving misinformation on the A320 and A321 bulkhead seats, saying that the legroom's restricted. On my last MR, I moved out of 5C into 6A on the A321 based on that recommendation. Upon boarding, I wished I hadn't as there was significantly more room. Not as much as some exit rows, but enough that I would have been more comfortable - especially since exit rows were booked solid on that flight.
Old Nov 12, 13, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
I know WN did something like that. The seat recline would be locked for takeoff and landing, but would be released during the flight for pax comfort. Seems like a good compromise to me. Nonreclining seats suck.

On another note, I'll say that Seatguru's giving misinformation on the A320 and A321 bulkhead seats, saying that the legroom's restricted. On my last MR, I moved out of 5C into 6A on the A321 based on that recommendation. Upon boarding, I wished I hadn't as there was significantly more room. Not as much as some exit rows, but enough that I would have been more comfortable - especially since exit rows were booked solid on that flight.
It depends entirely on your definition of legroom. I find bulkeads less comfortable than even regular coach seats on a long flight as there is nowhere to go with my feet. I can stretch my legs under the seat in front in a standard seat despite being 6'-2". Can't do that in a bulkhead seat. However knee room and laptop room are far better in a bulkhead.
Old Nov 12, 13, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gruss View Post
It depends entirely on your definition of legroom. I find bulkeads less comfortable than even regular coach seats on a long flight as there is nowhere to go with my feet. I can stretch my legs under the seat in front in a standard seat despite being 6'-2". Can't do that in a bulkhead seat. However knee room and laptop room are far better in a bulkhead.
True. I'm only 5'10 and have a 30" inseam, so my legs are short. 5C would have been an aisle seat, so I could have curled them into F as well.

I ended up sitting next to a rather large person in 6B, so 5C would have been a much better seat at least on that flight.
Old Nov 12, 13, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
seatguru.com - bookmark it, it's great

A320
Bulkheads - Yellow - "has restricted legroom due to the position of the bulkhead. The tray tables are in the armrest...slightly reducing seat width"

Exit Rows - "has extra leg room due to the exit row". Front exit row does not recline, so 1/2 Yellow, 1/2 Green.

I always take the exit row, the back one when there are two.

When did US get 738s?
my flight is a United flight, but this thread was the first to pop up in a google search
Old Nov 12, 13, 1:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zerodegre View Post
I am 6'4 also... but never seemed to have a problem in bulkhead... hmmm
i am 5'7" so i should be able to fit 2 of me in the bulkhead seats?
Old Nov 15, 13, 5:35 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, DL Silver, Avis First, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Bulkhead Vs. Exit Row?

Bulk head isle if no upgrade and I need to work - bulk window if I want a nap..I'm 5'10 so leg room isn't a big issue ..miss irockfm2 hates the bulk w/no where to stow her purse, doesn't like it above when it's out of site, so when she is in tow..it's the exit row...
Old Nov 18, 13, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found bulkhead windows in F are actually pretty good for sleeping. Recline the seat, put the pillow against the wall, and you can put your feet on the wall (shoes off of course). Probably as good as you can get.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: