Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LaGuardia and Precheck

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:35 am
Original Poster

LaGuardia and Precheck

Quick question: can I go through security at Terminal D if flying US? I'd like to use PreCheck, but will I get blocked from the lines and sent over to C?

If I need to use C, are there still two lines, one on the DL gate side and one on the US gate side? If so, is one better to use?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I had a similar issue last fall on AA. I was on a long layover of about 3 hours at LGA (flew into C, flying out of C) and wanted to use the Admirals Club in D. I was able to go through the Precheck line at D to get to the Admirals Club, but I had to go through regular security again to get back to my flight. As I recall, it was just kind of a mess getting into C.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
The only consolation was, at least when I was last there in January, the C checkpoint had at least some lines with just the old metal detectors rather than the body scanners.

You'd think with the traffic there that TSA and the airport would want more PreCheck, but who knows. It's LGA, after all. It's almost as though they make a point of making the place unpleasant.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jr57
I had a similar issue last fall on AA. I was on a long layover of about 3 hours at LGA (flew into C, flying out of C) and wanted to use the Admirals Club in D. I was able to go through the Precheck line at D to get to the Admirals Club, but I had to go through regular security again to get back to my flight. As I recall, it was just kind of a mess getting into C.
When you say C, are you referring to Concourse C in the Central Terminal (i.e. where United and American Eagle go out of) or Terminal C (i.e. where USAirways and Delta depart from)? I know that you can go through to D concourse in Central Terminal to use Admirals Club. My question, though, is when flying USAirways (which departs out of Terminal C, which is now connected airside to terminal D) can I go through security at Terminal D?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by phlwookie
The only consolation was, at least when I was last there in January, the C checkpoint had at least some lines with just the old metal detectors rather than the body scanners.

You'd think with the traffic there that TSA and the airport would want more PreCheck, but who knows. It's LGA, after all. It's almost as though they make a point of making the place unpleasant.
The old metal detectors are usually on the other side of the elite line I've found. I show my ID on the Elite line on the left then go to the far right; the last few times for the old metal detectors. I'm usually through at least twice as fast than if I had stayed in the line in front of me.

Had some miffed people think I'm cutting them but no big deal.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by aa4ever
When you say C, are you referring to Concourse C in the Central Terminal (i.e. where United and American Eagle go out of) or Terminal C (i.e. where USAirways and Delta depart from)? I know that you can go through to D concourse in Central Terminal to use Admirals Club. My question, though, is when flying USAirways (which departs out of Terminal C, which is now connected airside to terminal D) can I go through security at Terminal D?
Ah, my mistake. I did mean Concourse C.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
There is no Precheck at C and the security, yes, is always a cluster. Can't wait for the AC to open there as I think its th eonly major airline terminal where you can't get a drink inside security. So I either go to the AC requiring two security checks or stay outside security which always requires leaving extra early in case there is a bad line. Its really about the worst terminal serving major carriers at a major airport in the country.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:29 pm

Anyone have an answer to the OP's question? Flying out of Terminal C tomorrow on US and would like to use TSA Pre at Terminal D if possible. Noticed my passbook boarding pass has the TSA Precheck logo so maybe they realize people are wanting to do this.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Tronic
Anyone have an answer to the OP's question? Flying out of Terminal C tomorrow on US and would like to use TSA Pre at Terminal D if possible. Noticed my passbook boarding pass has the TSA Precheck logo so maybe they realize people are wanting to do this.
Can't say for sure whether this is possible, but I do know that the Precheck logo does not guarantee you can use it. I've gotten it at places like LAX where they have Precheck but not necessarily at the terminal you want to use it. It also doesn't guarantee the Precheck lane is open, just that you're eligible to use it.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:30 pm

Can't say for sure whether this is possible, but I do know that the Precheck logo does not guarantee you can use it. I've gotten it at places like LAX where they have Precheck but not necessarily at the terminal you want to use it. It also doesn't guarantee the Precheck lane is open, just that you're eligible to use it.
Alright thanks. I have a redeye so I know it won't be open for me tomorrow, even if I was eligible. I mainly wanted to know for the future since last time I flew out of D, security was an hour long.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.719 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by Tronic
I have tried this twice -- once I was denied and told only DL fliers could use the PreCheck, then about two weeks later they let me through Terminal D PreCheck with a US Boarding Pass, no questions asked. It's worth a shot.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver, HH Diamond.
Not exactly a response to to OP's question, but a couple of weeks ago I asked about PreCheck for USAir at LGA and was told that the construction between the checkin counters and the security lines is for PreCheck. No ETA on opening, but it is a hopeful sign.

BTW, I get the PreCheck note on my connecting BPs so I bet they are just printing that verbiage on the BP for anyone that has a trusted traveler number on file.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
You can, most likely they won't give you a hard time about flying US Air and going through Pre-check. Then you can use the new walk trough connector to get to the other concourse. I just did this same thing last week.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by caldrich
Not exactly a response to to OP's question, but a couple of weeks ago I asked about PreCheck for USAir at LGA and was told that the construction between the checkin counters and the security lines is for PreCheck. No ETA on opening, but it is a hopeful sign.
BUMP - any update on Pre at the C Terminal at LGA?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: US CP
There a still wasn't precheck when I went through a few weeks ago. Lots of construction so not sure if they are adding it. One good thing was they weren't using any of the full body scanners anymore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.