Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Old Dec 8, 2013, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perseus11
IMO, with the addition of PHL OW connecting traffic and the reasonable potential of extending the BA/AA JV to PHL-LHR, it's likely that BA will add at least 1 additional PHL-LHR flight, or at the very least upgrade to 2 777s.
PHL-LHR is already part of the BA/AA joint venture, so it's not just reasonable potential, it's an absolute certainty that the US flights will be a part of it. Only question is how soon that happens.

Originally Posted by ty97
With PHL (likely) remaining an international gateway, AA way want to add a Flagship lounge there. Perhaps they can work with BA to convert Galleries into a shared Oneworld Flagship lounge.
Yes, that would be nice, but I think there is a zero chance that happens. And not just because I don't think that Parker would spend the money to add a Flagship Lounge to PHL. I don't think Horton's AA (had AA remained independent and then taken over US) would have added a Flagship Lounge at PHL. Why not?

The first Flagship Lounge was at DFW, the largest hub (and, by my prediction, will only get larger). The DFW FL closed after September 11, 2001, and never reopened. So did the MIA FL, but it reopened. And then closed again. Rumour has it that a new Flagship Lounge is under construction in MIA.

DFW has lots of international flights, including flights with 3-class F (London, South America, Tokyo, etc). It's getting PVG and HKG this summer. But 3-class F is going to be downsized substantially with its removal from the 772s (unless Parker over-rules that and retains 8F on the 772s like the 77Ws, which is very unlikely). With no FL at DFW, 3-class F disappearing except from the 20 77Ws, I don't think the odds are very good that PHL ever sees a Flagship Lounge. But if Parker proves me wrong, I'll be happy.

As to the shared club: I don't know why, but AA and BA don't seem to share as many clubs as I would have thought. I would have thought that a big benefit of the joint venture would have been co-located clubs wherever possible, but it's as if they want to retain the separate clubs in case there's a divorce.

Originally Posted by remedy
I was lifetime TWA Ambassador Club and got a 3 year Aadvantage Club only during that merger. TWA was really left in the dust with that one!
That's because there was no merger of AA and TWA. As serfty correctly noted, AA bought most of the assets and assumed just the liabilities that it wanted to assume, and lifetime club memberships weren't on the "want to assume" list.

When a company merges with another, all liabilities of both continue uninterrupted. When one company buys assets and assumes some liabilities, you're at risk. Should have bet on the winning horse and bought a lifetime Admirals Club membership.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 6:40 pm

Hi all: I'd like to hear your thoughts on my strategy for an upcoming (early February) trip from Phoenix to Madagascar. I'm currently CP on US Air and will be next year too. My plan is to take British Airways between Phoenix and Johannesburg because it is just one stop (Heathrow) and the business class price isn't bad. So I would get an AA card and credit the BA flights to that. From Johannesburg I would take South African to Madagascar and get the Star Alliance (i.e. US Air) credit. I am betting on being able to combine my US and AA miles at some point in the next year. Think that's a safe bet? Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:22 pm

Dumb Q maybe, but do shares of AAMRQ and LCC convert to whatever the new ticker is tomorrow?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Dumb Q maybe, but do shares of AAMRQ and LCC convert to whatever the new ticker is tomorrow?
Typically the stock of a bankrupt company get canceled when the company comes out of bankruptcy and a new stock is issued. That's what happened with the old US stock when the US-HP merger happened. I don't know what is happening with the current AA stock though.

I read somewhere that current US stock will be converted to new American stock (AAL), but I don't remember and can't easily find the conversion rate.

Speaking of stocks, I found this story:
http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/...20131206-00359

Doug Parker, chairman and CEO, US Airways, and incoming CEO of the new American Airlines; and the employees of the new American, will help ring The NASDAQ Stock Market Opening Bell remotely from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in celebration of the completed merger of AMR Corporation and US Airways Group, Inc. and the listing of the common stock of the combined company on the NASDAQ Stock Market.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The conversion for holders of LCC is 1:1, so tomorrow, each share of LCC will be converted into one share of new AA. Existing AAMRQ is a much more complicated issue.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:16 pm

If unified earn and burn is coming January 7th, does that mean that I might be able to use AA miles to book a *A award for mid-year? I've been eyeing the US 90k J to North Asia for a long time, but only have 165k on US while I have 200k on AA - I need 180 for my brother and myself. Even applying for a credit card the miles probably wouldn't post before 1/7.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by giantreesemar
If unified earn and burn is coming January 7th, does that mean that I might be able to use AA miles to book a *A award for mid-year? I've been eyeing the US 90k J to North Asia for a long time, but only have 165k on US while I have 200k on AA - I need 180 for my brother and myself. Even applying for a credit card the miles probably wouldn't post before 1/7.
I would guess (and this is a guess, but I expect a rather grounded guess) that the answer is certainly not. The earn and burn will be limited to cross crediting and cross redeeming on AA/US metal only. Other alliance earning and redemptions (AA with its partners and OW members, US with its partners and *A members) will remain as-is limited to the pre-existing airlines and partner/alliance agreements.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: None
Probably not is my guess. I suspect that the unified get/use miles will only apply to US and AA metal flights since US will be in *A till the end of February. When US joins OW in April, you'll be able to book OW flights. Hopefully by then you can use miles from either account and maybe even transfer miles between accounts. Of course, I could be wrong.

Jim
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:06 pm

Any idea when we can start using Avios to book US Air flights?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I would love to see them enable transfer of miles between accounts ASAP. That was one of the things that worked well for DL/NW.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Campath
Any idea when we can start using Avios to book US Air flights?
No official word yet, but some interviews suggest OW membership will start around March 31/April 1. If that occurs, it is possible that Avios earning and redemption may also launch at that time (but this is highly speculative at this point)
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by dtremit
I would love to see them enable transfer of miles between accounts ASAP. That was one of the things that worked well for DL/NW.
As well as for UA/CO. As I recall, which could be wrong, that was one of the first steps toward integrating the FF accounts.

Jim
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
PHL-LHR is already part of the BA/AA joint venture, so it's not just reasonable potential, it's an absolute certainty that the US flights will be a part of it. Only question is how soon that happens.

Yes, that would be nice, but I think there is a zero chance that happens. And not just because I don't think that Parker would spend the money to add a Flagship Lounge to PHL. I don't think Horton's AA (had AA remained independent and then taken over US) would have added a Flagship Lounge at PHL. Why not?

The first Flagship Lounge was at DFW, the largest hub (and, by my prediction, will only get larger). The DFW FL closed after September 11, 2001, and never reopened. So did the MIA FL, but it reopened. And then closed again. Rumour has it that a new Flagship Lounge is under construction in MIA.

DFW has lots of international flights, including flights with 3-class F (London, South America, Tokyo, etc). It's getting PVG and HKG this summer. But 3-class F is going to be downsized substantially with its removal from the 772s (unless Parker over-rules that and retains 8F on the 772s like the 77Ws, which is very unlikely). With no FL at DFW, 3-class F disappearing except from the 20 77Ws, I don't think the odds are very good that PHL ever sees a Flagship Lounge. But if Parker proves me wrong, I'll be happy.

As to the shared club: I don't know why, but AA and BA don't seem to share as many clubs as I would have thought. I would have thought that a big benefit of the joint venture would have been co-located clubs wherever possible, but it's as if they want to retain the separate clubs in case there's a divorce.

That's because there was no merger of AA and TWA. As serfty correctly noted, AA bought most of the assets and assumed just the liabilities that it wanted to assume, and lifetime club memberships weren't on the "want to assume" list.

When a company merges with another, all liabilities of both continue uninterrupted. When one company buys assets and assumes some liabilities, you're at risk. Should have bet on the winning horse and bought a lifetime Admirals Club membership.
Believe it or not, TWA had an Ambassador Club in Columbus, OH, which is why I bought the membership when I lived there!
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
Details about dates were just added here:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/about...wamerican.html
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:33 am

It's a done deal!

American Airlines Merges with US Airways, Forms Largest Airline in the World

American Airlines, the number three player in the U.S. aviation market, merged Monday morning with number five US Airways. The combined company, which will operate under the American Airlines Group name, will have more than 6,700 daily flights to 336 locations in 56 countries across the globe. It will employ over 24,500 flight attendants and 12.500 pilots.

Earlier this morning, representatives from the two airlines met in the Dallas offices of Weil, Gotshal & Manges, signed the documents merging the two companies, and created the world’s largest airline.

Doug Parker, the incoming CEO of the new American, joined by employees of the airline, will remotely ring the opening bell for the Nasdaq stock market opening bell from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in celebration of the merger and the listing of the combined airline’s common stock on the Nasdaq….

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.