Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Fair argument but

The DOJ will eventually be overruled by the courts seeking to protect the interests of this merger competing with the other big three on a slightly slanted lie-flat playing field.

If they really wanted a completely flat-bed level field the government can own and run it just like the Post Office.

Concessions Yes

Stopping the merger No
The post office doesn't seem to gouge me on everything I buy.
Plus, there are DHL, UPS, FedEx...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by username
It seems the experts are saying this will ultimately happen.
What experts? Can you provide links with this?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by username
It seems the experts are saying this will ultimately happen.
I don't know if I would trust any so-called experts, given how blind-sided they were by today's announcement. (Source: NYT article)
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
If I'd wanted to fly American...I'd have already chosen them. The end.

Thus, I am thrilled. And can now book my late fall trips with *A carriers to regain *Gold. ^
It does ease the mind about a few already booked as well

Now, like you, I am going to book a couple more.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Hmmm

Just out of curiosity, for those US flyers happy that the merger may not happen, how many people are happy because

1) They love Star and don't want to lose the coverage that Star Alliance gives them for redemptions.

2) They love US and the crews and in-flight experience, and are worried that the merger will bring them down

3) They love the US FFP (free upgrades, CP certs) and don't want to go to an AA system (stickers, etc)

I'm just curious, because as an actual BIS flyer and redeemer so far only on US metal (Envoy to MUC) I was looking forward to the new AA fleet with outlets and wifi everywhere and access to the AA Club with showers, etc.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Yuengling
US Airways also has communicated directly with a competitor when it was upset by that competitor’s efforts to compete more aggressively. ... US Airways’ senior management debated over email about how best to get the rival airline’s attention and bring it back in line with the rest of the industry. In that email thread, US Airways’ CEO urged the other executives to “portray these guys as idiots to Wall Street and anyone else who’ll listen.” Ultimately, to make sure the message was received, US Airways’ CEO forwarded the email chain—and its candid discussion about how aggressive competition would be bad for the industry—directly to the CEO of the rival airline. (The rival’s CEO immediately responded that it was an inappropriate communication that he was referring to his general counsel.)
I'm sorry, but this is a mind-blowingly stupid thing to do.

Unless your goal is to shorten the life expectancy of your attorney, in which case it strikes me as just about right on the money.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles Silver Preferred, Hilton Honors Gold VIP
I agree with the DOJ. There is no value-added with a merger. I feel sorry for AA as it looks like they are being shut out of the recent USA airline consolidation. This one is different from the others. US got west coast presence with HP. DL got Asia with NW. UA got Latin America back with CO and much more Europe. No value from any regions with a combined US/AA.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
moderator note:

now that things are official, we'll begin a new thread with official news of the US/AA merger.
Do we get an update to the mods note now that the merger may not be official, I've always been of the belief a merger is not official until its approved by all parties!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by phllyflyboy
Star Alliance Upgrades forever!

Hopefully Eric Holder has some cojones.
Why are you assuming that US is going to stay in Star Alliance? It doesn't need a merger to move to another alliance. In fact, CO did it before the announced merger of UA/CO. They've already announced their intention to leave Star.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Dreamworks
Just out of curiosity, for those US flyers happy that the merger may not happen, how many people are happy because

1) They love Star and don't want to lose the coverage that Star Alliance gives them for redemptions.

2) They love US and the crews and in-flight experience, and are worried that the merger will bring them down

3) They love the US FFP (free upgrades, CP certs) and don't want to go to an AA system (stickers, etc)

I'm just curious, because as an actual BIS flyer and redeemer so far only on US metal (Envoy to MUC) I was looking forward to the new AA fleet with outlets and wifi everywhere and access to the AA Club with showers, etc.
No 1.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The post office doesn't seem to gouge me on everything I buy.
Plus, there are DHL, UPS, FedEx...
I love the government run post office....a model operation.... By the way, how profitable have they been over the last decade?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Some minor tweaks and it goes,
Um the DOJ doesn't move to block a merger then allow it with minor tweaks. Blocking a merger means they see major issues with the merger.
Cheers
Howie
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Why are you assuming that US is going to stay in Star Alliance? It doesn't need a merger to move to another alliance. In fact, CO did it before the announced merger of UA/CO. They've already announced their intention to leave Star.
CO was in a crummy ST at the time and had a major reason to leave. The only reason for US to leave is a merger with AA absent that why would they spend $$ to become second fiddle to AA in OW?
Cheers
Howie
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jn in ca

If DoJ wanted this killed, they would not have spent months, right up until this week, trying to hammer out a deal with US/AA. DoJ has a plan in mind.
Just look at the AT&T/T-mobile deal it takes a while to complete a review plus they always attempt to hammer out a deal. Btw everyone who thinks they can win in court should look at the DOJ's stats they've won 60 straight cases since 2007.
Cheers
Howie
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Dreamworks

All of the above. As a Gold flyer on my own dime, I didn't see the benefit to AA's FFP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.