Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 8, 13, 9:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 14, 13, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan View Post
I was just about to takeoff when we got the official news of the merger. I just completed 4 transcon segments and sat up front in all 4 as a SP (that won't happen again on the new AA).
You say this, but I work with several AA GLDs (the lowest tier) that fly between LAX and JFK frequently, and they have a great upgrade rate.
Old Feb 14, 13, 1:03 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways View Post
4. Free domestic upgrades for the top tier elites (no more having to compete with some Low Roller for first class seat).
To be fair, the only "low roller" a higher tier elite competes for is one who wishes to trade in an upgrade instrument, be it miles or stickers, either way it's not exactly a free upgrade, and anyone who wishes to put up some form of payment (even if it's not cash) really should get that seat before the guy who only wants it if it's free.

I can see both sides of the sticker system if it stays in place. Sure there will be more competition coming from the lower tiers if they have stickers to use, but if I can use my own stickers to secure an upgrade on a transcon where even a current US CP has a good chance of missing the upgrade, that might be worth sitting in coach going to Orlando now and then.

One big plus I can see is that AA fares end up in the FT Mileage Run Deals section a lot more than US does--- likely a combination of US' hubs being placed in such a way that it's harder to maximize routing, US seeming to have less flexibility in the routing rules themselves, and more AA elites looking for (and posting) those fares. If there is no spend component introduced to the elite qualifications, it may be a little easier to rack up the BIS miles without spending a fortune and still enjoy upgrades, etc, by flying your own metal. Currently when I do mileage runs it's more often on UA--- just seems easier to find the really good CPM fares there than on US--- and credit to US, but that means I'm guaranteed to sit in the back, pay their version of the Move Up fees, etc.
Old Feb 14, 13, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
Now that the merger is pretty much official, I think we all need contingency plans regarding status. As I am but a gold minnow and can't crank up BIS miles easily, here is my plan.

For *A status: match TK Gold or get Aegean status, keep *A benefits like 3 checked bags, priority boarding, and domestic/international lounge access. Doesn't really matter as I don't fly UA that much and have amex plat for lounge access, but if I do an international trip on *A it will help.

Not only that, but for current US soon to be AA status: churn as many US mastercards as I can, maybe add a business CC, so that I can get 10k PQMs & 25k RDM off 25k spend by end of year plus bonuses. Use the CP US MC offer where you get 10k miles every anniversary after paying the annual fee, and hope that it gets grandfathered into AA. 10k miles for $89 every year is a no-brainer, especially if it turns into AA.

EDIT: ok, just found out that the CP offer with 10k miles every year isn't offered anymore as of today. i already have it but sucks if you don't. and i

Regardless of how you feel about the merger, AA miles are way harder to obtain thru non-flying methods, so I might as well maximize thru US credit cards and promos before it ends. A CX redemption would easily make it worth it!

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways View Post
Bad News

1. Airfares will probably go up
2. Service will be diminished in certain cities (like Phoenix)
3. Less options in One World for European travel
4. Loss of free upgrades for most elites

Good News

1. Improved domestic network
2. More redemption options in the Advantage Program
3. Direct flights to Europe on BA (love it)!
4. Free domestic upgrades for the top tier elites (no more having to compete with some Low Roller for first class seat).
5. No more double connections when flying to South America from several US cities.
1.) You forgot YQ with redemptions.

2.) Competing with "some low roller"? Pretty sure CPs clear upgrades on most routes no problem. And even then, for what? Hit or miss PDB, a newspaper if you're lucky, and as many mini chocolate chip cookies/cape cod chips you can eat (hopefully this will change with integration with AA)? LoL. If you're all about tying status with money spent, maybe you should start working on some skypesos.

Last edited by psychoandy; Feb 14, 13 at 1:22 pm
Old Feb 14, 13, 1:06 pm

Programs: this and that
Bye bye to my most convenient connections:

MUC LH CLT US CVG
MUC LH CLT US DAY

Immigration @CLT was a breeze compared to ORD or IAD and with US leaving *A I will lose this option. I wonder whether LH will keep MUC-CLT? Depends on whether there's enough BMW travel b/w MUC and Spartanburg.
Old Feb 14, 13, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by cas_de View Post
Bye bye to my most convenient connections:

MUC LH CLT US CVG
MUC LH CLT US DAY

Immigration @CLT was a breeze compared to ORD or IAD and with US leaving *A I will lose this option. I wonder whether LH will keep MUC-CLT? Depends on whether there's enough BMW travel b/w MUC and Spartanburg.
Remember all the vendors too. It will certainly be harder for them, but the BMW commitment seems to be growing. All you need is more Bavarians in the Carolinas.

Sadly Wachovia is no more, so you've no bank of the region, assuming Wachau can be considered related because it was once Bavarian property.
Old Feb 14, 13, 1:19 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by psychoandy View Post

Regardless of how you feel about the merger, AA miles are way harder to obtain thru non-flying methods, so I might as well maximize thru US credit cards and promos before it ends.
I wouldn't be surprised if earning PQM via credit card spend, club memberships or promos sticks around. US has been pretty creative in monetizing all sorts of stuff and if those vehicles are turning a profit, we'll see them stay.

How much extra income has Barclays made by people who push every charge through them just to get the PQM? I'm guessing it's pretty significant even if it's difficult to measure (maybe run a report of everyone who gets to exactly $25k then stops using the card? that is merchant fees on $25k for each of those users, though... a big sum, I bet... and US gets a slice from Barclays...)

US is financing their part of this deal in part with the money from miles promos, grand slams, PQM through credit card, etc etc etc. If it is a net profit, it will likely stay. I can't say they're making profit off of all of their PQM-earning channels but I can guarantee there's a room full of accountants and analysts somewhere who know what promos and opportunities are money-makers. I won't even be surprised to see Buy Up Preferred stick around (regardless of the name) as these benefits cost US pretty close to $0 to deliver--- capacity controls on CP certs help keep Envoy from being full of upgraders, and on domestic routes, the F cabin is full of upgraders anyway, with the buy-up getting the buyer moved up in the pecking order, not somehow increasing the number of upgraders--- basically some extra bonus miles and some waived baggage fees in return for hundreds of dollars depending on the levels. That's a nice chunk of money for not really doing anything. I don't think AA currently do something like this, and I really won't be surprised if the new program has that option.

Last edited by dcpatti; Feb 14, 13 at 1:26 pm
Old Feb 14, 13, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
There is only one thing that will never change with this merger, come to think of it, it will change the number will be increased, OLD grannies serving passengers on the planes.
Old Feb 14, 13, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Does AA let you buy status like US does?
Old Feb 14, 13, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
Does AA let you buy status like US does?
If you put $40k on a $450/yr Citi credit card you get 10k EQM, but otherwise, no.
Old Feb 14, 13, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by ElCid79 View Post
Opinions needed!!
I am avery frequent traveler on USAir. 195 legs last year based in CLT. Moving to CHS and wondering whether to stick it out with new American or jump ship to Delta with a status match. Thoughts?

Thank you!
U should move to UA, their miles are better than DL and AA
Old Feb 14, 13, 2:27 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Hey guys,

Nice to see all the discussions out there. The US Airways flyers know what they like and what they don't like. I for one appreciate that. But may I add that it is way to early to make shotgun decisions. Mergers take a while. I think the best thing you all can do is do what you always have and continue to write those letters to the company on what you would like to see stay as a part of the new American.

I have a feeling a lot of the comments on the American site is complete US bashing filled with emotion.

DP is in the big leagues now. All I have heard is how they want to make the new American the best airline. Well, let's all hold him to it. The excuse for less than services in the past was because we were such a smaller player. Well, we aren't now, so somebody better pony up.

Thank you for all you have done. I am trying to be optimistic...cautiously...but optimistic.
Old Feb 14, 13, 2:34 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by steve65341 View Post
I wonder if the existing US narrowbody fleet will be upgraded with IFE systems now. The email announcement mentions that they plan to take delivery of 517 new narrowbody AC of which "most" of which will be equipped.
Let's hope so. The impression I got from the website was that this WOULD happen.
Old Feb 14, 13, 2:46 pm

Some Questions regarding the Merger

I had some questions regarding the US-AA Merger.

1. Currently I have access to the US Airways Clubs with Priority Pass and I was wondering with the new merger would these clubs turn to Admirals Clubs or would all the Admiral's Clubs become US Airways Clubs? If so would we get more Priority Pass lounges or would it go the way of United Clubs where members who get their Priority Pass access from a financial institution have no access.

2. Would we see American metal at TLV since US Airways would be operating the airline. Do you think this would allow AA to pay their debt so we can see more TLV flights like SFO-TLV, JFK-TLV LAX-TLV etc. Considering El Al does not operate on the Sabbath AA could fly 7 days a week.

3. Would American be part of the Star Alliance or continue its membership in the Oneworld Alliance given that US Airways is currently part of the Star Alliance and AA is part of the One World Alliance?

4. Would a flight from SJC-PHX and PHX-ABQ be on American Metal but operated by US Airways?

5 . Would tickets say American Airlines operated by US Airways?

6. Am I going to retain my Advantage # or will this be switched into a new US Airways Dividens Account.

7. Would US Airways continue with the acquiring of the 787s and add IFE to short and medium haul planes?

Thanks for answering my questions.
Old Feb 14, 13, 2:51 pm

I can only imagine if TWA were still operating today how would this merger be if we still had TWA and American Airlines and now US Airways. We would be a happier family.
Old Feb 14, 13, 2:53 pm

danielonn,
1. Unknown. My guess is they become Admiral Club with no PP access.
2. Unknown but it seems like it.
3. oneworld
4. If you mean after the merge, then there will be no "operated by." Everything will be AA.
5. AA
6. It will be AAdvantage, so I assume you'll lose the DM number. However, with CO/UA it went the other way. The new program was MP but you kept the OP number. It seems like they did that because they retained CO's technology. AA seems to have better IT than US, so mostly likely everything DM will go away (online booking tools are more advanced and for example you can book some partner awards and one-way awards online)
7. So far it seems like it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: