Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by ITRADE
Its a lot more than upgrades. Its reduced capacity, poor service, shuttering of hubs, etc.

I'd be willing to bet that 4 out of 5 FTers on the DL and UA boards are not pleased with the post-merger versions of the two airlines...
Maybe on the UA side, but I doubt it is that high with DL. In fact, I like the post merger DL quite a lot. It's their FFP program that sucks. But their product is much better than what UA is delivering to passengers. And people look at this merger with a "what can you do for me right now" attitude. However, the long term prospects for US right now don't look great. They have union contracts that can't be postponed forever. Their operating costs are going to rise. Where is the company going to get that added revenue to offset those costs? Reducing F cabins in order to put in more Y seats? We all know that they really aren't selling that many F seats in the first place. It's international growth potential is getting close to its maximum. Particularly with no JV/ATI agreements.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Is this the place to say if we're happy? I'm happy!

The fact that most of us at US felt like we would lose under the merger, and did not like the AA system; and the fact that there are clearly AA folks who felt that they would lose, too, and did not like the US system .... well, that's what happens when the market is full of consumers with different preferences. In such circumstances -- which are near universal! -- it's hard to figure out how a reduction in competition would raise general welfare. It's easy to see how it might raise the well-being of the folks running the cartel.

I'm happy. Did I say that already ...?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Some of the snippets from the complaint are eye opening. Not the least of which is:

"US Airways also plans to institute its fees ($40 on average) for the redemption
of frequent flyer tickets on American’s existing frequent fliers, who currently are not charged for mileage redemption."

LOL....
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of the snippets from the complaint are eye opening. Not the least of which is:

"US Airways also plans to institute its fees ($40 on average) for the redemption
of frequent flyer tickets on American’s existing frequent fliers, who currently are not charged for mileage redemption."

LOL....
Which has nothing to do with what the DOJ should be concerned about. Otherwise, they need to come down on DL (and US as well) for their high-medium-low redemption rip-off scheme.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:10 pm

Its completely relevant. The airline touts customer benefits, increased access, etc. Imposing a continuous stream of ancillary fees is anything but.

In any event, that is but one measure.

The HHI analysis is the real gorilla in this one. Followed by perceived belief in the loss in Advantage fares.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, FL A+ Elite, SPG Platinum,
Originally Posted by jn in ca
WN flys more passengers than anybody else in the lower 48. Not the biggest by revenue, but the biggest by pax.
I'm not disagreeing with the statement above, per se, however, CNBC just ran a graphic displaying capacity by available seat miles, and WN was a very distant fourth (behind UA, DL, and AA) and slightly ahead of US.

(Unfortunately, I'm sitting in a hotel room without DVR functionality, and I couldn't capture the specific figures that they referenced.)
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its completely relevant. The airline touts customer benefits, increased access, etc. Imposing a continuous stream of ancillary fees is anything but.

In any event, that is but one measure.

The HHI analysis is the real gorilla in this one. Followed by perceived belief in the loss in Advantage fares.
No. Airlines sell airline tickets to transport people from one point to another. The FF programs have nothing to do with that. A contract of carriage doesn't even deal with FF benefits. An airline doesn't even have to have a FF program to operate as an airline. So how an airline operates and manages its FF program should be of no concern to the DOJ.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

I wonder if groups of organized FFs (e.g., FFOCUS) would file an entry of appearance to in effect serve as an amicus on DOJ's behalf.
Not sure how this would work or whether it would do any good, but I'd sign on to this.

I'd be willing to bet that 4 out of 5 FTers on the DL and UA boards are not pleased with the post-merger versions of the two airlines...
Can't speak for DL customers, but lots of UA FTers certainly have been disappointed.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
No. Airlines sell airline tickets to transport people from one point to another. The FF programs have nothing to do with that. A contract of carriage doesn't even deal with FF benefits. An airline doesn't even have to have a FF program to operate as an airline. So how an airline operates and manages its FF program should be of no concern to the DOJ.
This of course explains why you can buy hundreds of thousands of frequent flier miles just by calling a phone number.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Most excellent news this evening time. Finally something to cheer about regarding the merger. There has been way too many mergers.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:48 pm

As a US elite, a lot of the points made in this thread have slowly swung me to the side that is now very happy that this merger may fall through.

The investor side of me is kind of pissed off that he laddered some Aug 13 LCC calls.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:49 pm

FFFFF good thing I liquidated my AAMRQ position at 6.65.

Did I mention I was pretty sure this thing was happening?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
The criteria historically used is city-pairs - origin/destination - and not non-stop routes. The alleviating factor for monopoly city pairs is the ability and likelihood that another carrier will enter that market.
I said nothing about non-stops, and all of my examples are city pairs with no non-stop service between them.

My point was that DOJ's analysis of city pairs is simplistic and seems hastily slapped together.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:57 pm

That's how DOJ has always measured competition levels. I think they actually spent a lot of time on this. Look at all the internal email correspondence they aired out publicly.

Remember when US tried to merge with UA back around 2000/2001. Same analysis. And back then, US was ready to give DCA away. Remember Robert Johnson and "DCAir"?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

don't forget all the states that are joining in on DOJ's side

I don't see how this can be just about DCA. It's not just DOJ in it. It's joined by a bunch of states, and while Virginia might have joined because of DCA concerns, I don't see why that would be the reason (or even necessarily a reason) why some of the states far away have joined the lawsuit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.