Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
They do? After the end of the year, AA Golds will no longer have free access to it. Why would they be giving it free to AS elites and not them? In fact, I'm not sure if AS elites have free access to DL's Economy Comfort either.
According to the AS website, all AS elites have access to AA MCE and Preferred seats. I don't know if that'll change next year when AA Golds lose access.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-benefits.aspx

They also get their first 2 bags free. I don't think that's a current AA Gold benefit, is it?

EDIT: All AA elites get 2 free bags on AS, and PLT/EXP get preferred seats as well. AS has no MCE equivalent.

Last edited by PWMTrav; Aug 1, 2013 at 6:52 am
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
BA fees!

OMG, just checked for availability on BA F for some travel dates onward to Germany. Was told up to $700 additional fees per ticket to go to BA! Wow.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
OMG, just checked for availability on BA F for some travel dates onward to Germany. Was told up to $700 additional fees per ticket to go to BA! Wow.
And if you do BA first round trip to London, you're talking $1,200 + in taxes/fees per ticket.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by ShaneMcConnell
And if you do BA first round trip to London, you're talking $1,200 + in taxes/fees per ticket.
I've been wrestling with this myself. I'm on my way to 250,000 AA miles for my boyfriend & I to go in BA FIRST to Rome in 2015, and am gonna have to juggle for the surcharges BUT at the end of the day, you're getting (at worst) a $25,000 ticket for $600-$1200.

But enough about that, back to the US/AA rumors
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
On my flight from CLT to BWI tonight, I was talking merger with what appeared to be a seasoned FA in F. We were discussing fees and surcharges. He told me that with BA owned by the govt, there is an idea that the govt wants out of the airline business and OW or USdbaAA may look to purchase it.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by etsmyers
On my flight from CLT to BWI tonight, I was talking merger with what appeared to be a seasoned FA in F. We were discussing fees and surcharges. He told me that with BA owned by the govt, there is an idea that the govt wants out of the airline business and OW or USdbaAA may look to purchase it.
He apparently wasn't paying attention in 1987 when British Airways was privatized.

BA is a subsidiary of IAG, which also owns a portion of Iberia.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
He apparently wasn't paying attention in 1987 when British Airways was privatized.
Do not believe what FA's tell you
OneWorld is marketing organisation of airlines and not an operating business with shareholders.

IAG owns 100% of Iberia and minorities in some other airlines. IAG is listed on the London Stock Exchange
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...Airlines_Group

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 2, 2013 at 2:36 am
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Do not believe what FA's tell you
The FA's rumour is so riddled with inaccuracies and impossibilities that it's actually pretty funny!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

I was just reviewing this thread and noticed several posts discussing moderator actions. They have been removed and appropriate warnings issued.

I'd suggest that everyone review the Guidelines & Rules periodically, which can be found under HELP at the top of the forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions for the moderator team, please either send a PM or use the ALERT A MODERATOR TO THIS POST feature, which can be found to the lower left of every post on Flyertalk.

Thank you.

aztimm
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
On my flight from CLT to BWI tonight, I was talking merger with what appeared to be a seasoned FA in F...
Because this was CLT to BWI I suppose that FA may have never been outside the US. These are the same people who berate Airbus because of subsidies but do not notice those of Boeing (for good or ill the B787 More Electric architecture was developed for a military project). They also don't notice the global nature of the airliner and airline business. There are enough real issues to go around without spouting ignorance.

Ignorance is sad.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
I was looking at tickets to FSD in January. Normally, I fly PHL-ORD-FSD (with the last leg on UA). US website won't sell anything on that route after 31 Dec (wont recognize FSD), although they DO have options earlier in December. After some investigation, on UA's website, they only list UA metal between ORD and PHL and US it is the same (only US metal between PHL and ORD) on the few dates in January I tried. Glitch? Possible move to OW? (though they don't suggest any AA flights either...)
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
While exploring potential future flight options, I tried a dummy booking DCA-GRB in Sept. US does not go into GRB, but UA does. Lots of UA codeshares where shown, but all where shown as SOLD OUT. Tried the same city pair in Aug, and lots of cheap(ish) options were shown. So, will UA codeshares be cut off immediately after the merger?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
Following up my previous post:
So I then hopped over to the AA site to check out options there. When I started to enter data for flights, they already had the originating airport (DCA) and also the dates I last checked on the US site for the GRB trip. Sharing cookies already??
Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:32 am

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Exclamation

Originally Posted by split8s
Sharing cookies already??
Could they legally do that without an updated T&C/Privacy Policy?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by split8s
Sharing cookies already??
Originally Posted by coastalguy
Could they legally do that without an updated T&C/Privacy Policy?
Somehow I doubt they would even have the technical prowess to make that happen, unless a third party which has already been doing this is involved.

I just tried searching BOS-DFW next week on US, went over to US site, and PHX was filled in as the departure city with today's dates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.