Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by PHL
Have you "priced" out an award trip on Lufthansa lately?
Nope...my RTW trip in C cost 120,000 mi and approx. $85 in taxes per person.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Captain Flush
Quality over quantity is a fine concept, but much less fine when you're looking to redeem miles for travel during a specific time window and suddenly have half as many carriers in play.
Out of curiosity, have you ever attempted to book award travel on OW? I have and let me tell you it is much easier than on US. I was able to easily book an OTW in F for 200,000 miles plus fees. I have never been able to do that in the entire time I was a US CP and from what I'm reading here and on the UA board a lot of the *A carriers in Asia are cutting back on award availability.

As badly as you may think the sky is falling I can only say folks over on the AA board think it's even worse.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:06 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Delta is a possibility - originate in PHL with a change of gage in JFK.
The way I read it, the requirement is for a new carrier to fly PHL-LHR for 4 years. Would be interesting to see if Virgin gave it a go, although the city of Philadelphia has tried to get them to fly this route in the past.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Why should DL fly in coop with VA (Virgin Australia) between PHL and LHR?
My thought is I can't type for crap and meant VS. Thanks for catching.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Delta is a possibility - originate in PHL with a change of gage in JFK. UA is a possibility although not as likely. The LHR slot was a divestiture required for approval of the AA/BA JV which US received from AA (MIA-LHR). It makes sense that the slot received from AA be given up.

What I find amusing is that US is fighting so hard to keep all the DCA slots but willingly gives up a LHR slot.

Jim

I thought DL got the MIA-LHR slot pair. They flew if for the required time and then shifted it to another city if I remember correctly.

As for PHL, the merged US-AA/BA JV will have three daily flights out of PHL. Seems to me they could drop this to two with proper aircraft rationalization depending on how much of the traffic taking the US flight is connecting to PHL from other cities. Surely, there is enough capacity in the system between all of the other cities on the east coast with LHR service to take up the slack from losing a flight in PHL.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Out of curiosity, have you ever attempted to book award travel on OW? I have and let me tell you it is much easier than on US. I was able to easily book an OTW in F for 200,000 miles plus fees. I have never been able to do that in the entire time I was a US CP and from what I'm reading here and on the UA board a lot of the *A carriers in Asia are cutting back on award availability.
In all honesty, no I haven't. But I'd never had any difficulty booking *A awards through US either, as I'm willing to do the research and look for the exact availability I want ahead of time, and after picking up the phone I've never met any surprise unavailability that I haven't been able to easily work around. I also haven't noticed the reported reduction in availability among Asian *A carriers and recently got home from an award booking that involved both NH and SQ C. I realize one person's experience doesn't make a trend, but that cuts both ways here. I hope my experience looking for OW awards is like yours after the merger and I'm able to relax my grip on my preference for mixing and matching different carriers as part of the same itinerary.

As badly as you may think the sky is falling I can only say folks over on the AA board think it's even worse.
I never really said the sky is falling because I don't believe it is. At the same time, I know that *A has worked very well for me (particularly living in an international *A gateway, as it appears you may also) and I'm not yet convinced that OW will work nearly as well for me in the longer run.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought DL got the MIA-LHR slot pair. They flew if for the required time and then shifted it to another city if I remember correctly.
DL did get the BA/AA slot to begin MIA-LHR, but eventually, DL gave up. US was able to obtain that slot to begin MIA-CLT-LHR (with a change of plane at CLT) since nobody wanted to go head-to-head against BA/AA nonstop to LHR. I'm surprised that new AA might not have to give that one to another potential competitor for MIA service.

As for PHL, the merged US-AA/BA JV will have three daily flights out of PHL. Seems to me they could drop this to two with proper aircraft rationalization depending on how much of the traffic taking the US flight is connecting to PHL from other cities. Surely, there is enough capacity in the system between all of the other cities on the east coast with LHR service to take up the slack from losing a flight in PHL.
I don't see new AA reducing frequencies at PHL to just two (the current BA schedule), as PHL is a huge metro area with plenty of O&D to LHR and beyond. If US is currently connecting people from NYC or BOS or WAS to LHR, then perhaps new AA won't need too many daily flights PHL-LHR, but if US is connecting people from all the smaller spokes over PHL, then new AA may need more than three daily flights to LHR. From NYC, AA/BA fly something like 14 daily flights to LHR, which leads me to think that new AA may need more than two at PHL. From BOS, BA has four daily 772/744 flights to LHR, and both NYC and BOS feature flights from competitors as well.

The reality is that very few other airlines will want to go head-to-head against new AA PHL-LHR unless they can connect passengers at LHR, which pretty much limits the potential competition to VS/DL. The EU can wish for competiton from hubs like PHL, but PHL is basically a fortress hub and most potential competitors are bound to fail, as new AA will dominate service. DL couldn't make a go of it from MIA, and MIA has a LOT of LHR O&D.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by PHL
Have you "priced" out an award trip on Lufthansa lately?
Why? How much did it price when you tried?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by shawn67
My sinking feeling is that I have an award RTW trip in F/C on US, UA, TK, SG, and OZ booked for November 5 through November 16. Am I screwed??
Already ticketed? If so, I doubt you'll have problems.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
As an AA PLT for 7 years I can tell you that I have never had a problem redeeming miles. This includes TATL on AA and TPAC on QF and CX in Business. Granted you may not get your first choice in routing (there was a 3.5 hour layover in LAX on the way to AUS), but I have not had many issues.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:03 pm
GAC
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are also another eleven airlines outside of oneworld where one can redeem AA miles.
Will we be able to earn miles when flying these eleven?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:06 pm
GAC
Suspended

Reduce? They should reduce PHL - FRA with the loss of *A
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by shawn67
I think when current DM members start seeing the fuel surcharges on award travel by OW members - they will think the sky is falling.
No fuel surcharges on CX- and, unlike SQ, their award availability in the F cabin isn't a complete joke.

The only really killer out there is BA. Considering half the US *A award thread is Australians buying their miles anyways*, and BA usually has excellent award availability, what's the difference? OK, maybe you're paying a bit more. But at least you're getting some access to F...

*this is a slight exaggeration. Slight.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by PHL
The way I read it, the requirement is for a new carrier to fly PHL-LHR for 4 years. Would be interesting to see if Virgin gave it a go, although the city of Philadelphia has tried to get them to fly this route in the past.
The problem with a non-stop going to DL/VS is a small hub (compared to BA) at LHR and no hub feed at PHL. That makes it hard to compete with the large hub at both ends (with the associated feed into PHL) that AA/BA would have. AA/BA already has the BA flights which would allow AA/BA to capitalize on the PHL-LHR market, leaving DL/VS in the dust. Thus "new" AA would have no real reason to fight to keep that slot.

Jim
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GAC
Will we be able to earn miles when flying these eleven?
On some of them, yes, but generally just redeemable miles (not elite-qualifying miles). When flying on an AA codeshare on any other airline, you'll earn qualifying miles/points just like they're AA flights.

Here's a link to a list of AA current codeshare partners (14 of them):

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/codes...tners/main.jsp

Alaska is kinda unique - it's not a Oneworld member, but any AS flight or AA codeshare of an AS flight earns full EQM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.