Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
84
28.19%
No
214
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 8, 13, 9:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

 
Old Jul 20, 13, 9:52 pm
  #946  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PHL
Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Gold, Hertz, Avis
Posts: 51
Flying Star Alliance Near Merger Time?!?

I've read that US won't leave Star Alliance until 'within three to six months' of the merger...

Hrm.

I have to fly to South America over Christmas and New Year's. United has good routes and fares. BUT... What happens if I book, and then USAir moves to oneworld before December? Do they honor existing Star Alliance res? Or is it wasted miles?

I've been landlocked for five months where *A is not a viable travel option, so I will be on the Chairman's bubble for the first time in years.

(I've spent the last 70 minutes scrolling through hundreds of other posts, haven't seen an answer to this... So forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere and I missed it!)
rjbinney is offline  
Old Jul 20, 13, 11:11 pm
  #947  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,147
Originally Posted by rjbinney View Post
I've read that US won't leave Star Alliance until 'within three to six months' of the merger...

Hrm.

I have to fly to South America over Christmas and New Year's. United has good routes and fares. BUT... What happens if I book, and then USAir moves to oneworld before December? Do they honor existing Star Alliance res? Or is it wasted miles?

I've been landlocked for five months where *A is not a viable travel option, so I will be on the Chairman's bubble for the first time in years.

(I've spent the last 70 minutes scrolling through hundreds of other posts, haven't seen an answer to this... So forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere and I missed it!)
If I understand correctly, you want to buy a revenue ticket on United and have the miles credited to USDM?

US will announce a cut-off date for earning and redeeming with STAR. Up until that point it should be business as usual.... as they always say

If they officially exit STAR before you take your flight then you have to decide if you want to credit UA or another STAR partner.

If they leave after your flight your miles will be credited to USDM and then merged with AAvantage which will then allow you to use your miles with OW.
imverge is offline  
Old Jul 21, 13, 12:25 am
  #948  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PHL
Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Gold, Hertz, Avis
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by imverge View Post
If I understand correctly, you want to buy a revenue ticket on United and have the miles credited to USDM?
Do that all the time, yeah.

Originally Posted by imverge View Post
US will announce a cut-off date for earning and redeeming with STAR. Up until that point it should be business as usual.... as they always say

If they officially exit STAR before you take your flight then you have to decide if you want to credit UA or another STAR partner.
So my question is...

Since the last two major mergers were both 'within the alliance', this is a bit unprecedented.

Does anyone suppose that IF the flights are booked through Star Alliance on partner metal BEFORE THEY ANNOUNCE the transition date, but the flights are after the announced cutover date... Will there be any honoring, in the spirit of good business practice/customer loyalty/retention, whatever.

(I will say I'm not optimistic - I flew on a partner airline (Ethiopean) earlier this year (they were terrible, by the way, and paid full-fare biz class to boot), and they botched the transmission of my DM data, so it took six weeks of phone calls to Addis Ababa (on my part, NOT US Air's!) before CP would credit me.)

Originally Posted by imverge View Post
If they leave after your flight your miles will be credited to USDM and then merged with AAvantage which will then allow you to use your miles with OW.
Well, yeah.
rjbinney is offline  
Old Jul 21, 13, 1:08 am
  #949  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Posts: 1,738
There's a huge thread (sticky at the top of the forum) about the merger, loaded with speculation about these types of things. Check there for different theories. At this point no one knows for sure.
WiscAZ is offline  
Old Jul 21, 13, 3:47 am
  #950  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PHL
Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Gold, Hertz, Avis
Posts: 51
Yeah, I'd read the sticky... The best data I'd found was Parker's 'three to six month' comment, and was just wondering if anyone had better insight.

'Coz I guess the other major question is, are they still thinking Day Zero is circa November? Or has that accelerated?

(Currently an expat, so I don't get my usual USAir Philly news without some effort!)

So thanks and 'cheers' to anyone with any good new info?

Likewise, what would others do in similar situation?
rjbinney is offline  
Old Jul 21, 13, 6:02 am
  #951  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 100
There is no news. This is all stuff regulators are looking into. Everything being said on this thread is pure speculation
Tttony is offline  
Old Jul 21, 13, 7:28 am
  #952  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SOF, ORD
Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 808
Originally Posted by rjbinney View Post
Yeah, I'd read the sticky... The best data I'd found was Parker's 'three to six month' comment, and was just wondering if anyone had better insight.

'Coz I guess the other major question is, are they still thinking Day Zero is circa November? Or has that accelerated?

(Currently an expat, so I don't get my usual USAir Philly news without some effort!)

So thanks and 'cheers' to anyone with any good new info?

Likewise, what would others do in similar situation?
I don't believe Day 0 will be in November or that it was ever presented to be. Everything I've heard is that they plan to complete the merger in the 3rd quarter. We are nearing the end of July and are already in the 3rd quarter, so it could happen anytime now. I just read few days ago that US Airways shareholders approved the proposed merger, so as long as the government approvals are in place, it should be finished. I suspect Day 0 will be at some point in August. If you want to be sure you can get credit in your US Divident account in December, then book US Airways (although they only fly to Brazil as far as I know) or ultimately, open an AAdvantage account (if you don't have one already) and fly a OW carrier - LAN and AA cover a lot of South America. Eventually, you'll be able to combine your US and AA balances and you'll end up with 1 account. As to the speculation if US will credit *A flights after they leave the alliance, the answer is almost certainly NO. When airlines severe a relationship with a partner or leave an alliance, there usually is a cut-off date and you can't get any benefits (including mileage accrual) beyond that. They will post that in advance but may still not be sufficient for you if you book far out.
Phoenixtinct is offline  
Old Jul 21, 13, 7:39 am
  #953  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: High Point, NC
Programs: None
Posts: 9,171
Part of AN answer is whether you want to stay with US/new AA. If you do then the absolutely safe route is to buy your ticket for a US or AA flight. Credit your miles to the one you have the ticket on and they'll go into into the merged FF program at some point. If you need the miles for CP buy and credit with US.

Everything else is speculation until official announcements are made.

Jim
BoeingBoy is offline  
Old Jul 21, 13, 6:21 pm
  #954  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Posts: 901
Everything else is speculation until official announcements are made.
Agree

However I will be running my test flight on Aug 19th this year using my US mileage card and USClub pass flying on AC.
Lomapaseo is offline  
Old Jul 21, 13, 10:39 pm
  #955  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: High Point, NC
Programs: None
Posts: 9,171
It's entirely possible that regulatory approval will be after that. The last I've seen from Parker is "August or September" for all approvals. When he said that the date for the stockholders meeting was known and only U.S. and European regulatory approval would be needed.

Jim
BoeingBoy is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:12 am
  #956  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: USAirways Dividend Miles
Posts: 126
Potential redeposit of USDM after alliance switch

Hello.
Yes, I've tried in earnest to review this thread and the one on using USDM on Star A but at some point, you just have to post a question and hope it hasnt been asked.

I'm near certain I am going to book 2 Biz Class seats with Turkish Air for a June 2014 trip to IST.

Ultimate destination is Athens but US award requirement is "high" which is ludicrous at over 500K in miles spend to get there when I can get 2 Biz Class award tics on Star A for 200K round trip to IST (or any EU gateway really) plus I want to check out all the hype of Turkish service.

So what would happen if I booked the award ticket and was deducted the miles from my USDM account then for some reason I could not go on the trip and at the point, US had already left Star for One World...would I get the miles back into my USDM/AA Advantage (or whatever the new program is called) or would my miles be lost?

I guess the answers are speculative but appreciate the insight.

Thanks, Chris
racefaith is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:38 am
  #957  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: AVL
Programs: AA EXP (from US CP); SPG Plat; Cunard Plat
Posts: 4,210
Originally Posted by racefaith View Post
... So what would happen if I booked the award ticket and was deducted the miles from my USDM account then for some reason I could not go on the trip and at the point, US had already left Star for One World...would I get the miles back into my USDM/AA Advantage (or whatever the new program is called) or would my miles be lost? ...
Since US will be in charge of new AA, they'd probably continue doing the usual ...charging a redeposit fee for getting back your miles in the "whatever the new program is called" program, unless the fee is waived because of the status you hold.
kudzu is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 12:23 pm
  #958  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Silver, Morton's VIP, Awesomeness EXPLT
Posts: 15,020
Originally Posted by Tttony View Post
There is no news. This is all stuff regulators are looking into. Everything being said on this thread is pure speculation
Agreed this thread feels like the T-Mobile/AT&T deal where everyone was acting like their was regulatory approval and suddenly it got blocked. Not saying that's going to happen here but don't put the cart in front of the horse.
Cheers
Howie
stockmanjr is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 1:19 pm
  #959  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Posts: 4,549
Originally Posted by rjbinney View Post

Does anyone suppose that IF the flights are booked through Star Alliance on partner metal BEFORE THEY ANNOUNCE the transition date, but the flights are after the announced cutover date... Will there be any honoring, in the spirit of good business practice/customer loyalty/retention, whatever.
When VS and US ended their non-alliance earning partnership a few months back, I believe they DID grant earnings for US members flying on VS who had booked before the cut-off date was announced but flew after that date. I believe these had to be processed manually and I wouldn't be surprised if some folks were told no, but the folks I know all got their miles after they submitted a request. I would most definitely recommend screenshotting the earnings chart and participating partners on the day you make your booking.

This isn't a guarantee they will actually do that, nor is it any guess as to how a Star carrier would credit miles flown on US after whatever cutoff date. Just saying what they did in the past, in one specific situation that I have experience with.
dcpatti is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 1:36 pm
  #960  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: High Point, NC
Programs: None
Posts: 9,171
Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
Since US will be in charge of new AA, they'd probably continue doing the usual ...charging a redeposit fee for getting back your miles in the "whatever the new program is called" program, unless the fee is waived because of the status you hold.
The potential hitch is that "new" AA is in OW. Award tickets are paid for at a contracted $$$ price, less than the normal price. US (*A) Deducts ### miles from your US account, issues the award and pays Turkish $$$. You want to cancel the award, but US is part of OW - US doesn't exist. Can/will Turkish refund $$$ to "new" AA? What account is credit with ### miles - Turkish only has your US account # which may/will not exist? How many miles - there's no contracted price or mileage chart between Turkish (*A) and "new" AA (OW).

There will undoubtedly be a cutoff dates for awards. Can't get a *A award after A, must travel before B, can't refund after C. No one can tell you any of those dates.

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Jul 22, 13 at 1:54 pm
BoeingBoy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: