Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
84
28.19%
No
214
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 8, 13, 9:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

 
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:37 am
  #76  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: US GP, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by IflyonAA View Post
Seems as though we might be seeing some of you within our ranks in the future and perhaps some of you will be looking elsewhere (DL/UA).

It is quite interesting to see the disdain that some of you have for oneworld.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68xF-j9h6us
I, for one, don't have enough invested in US to pooh-pooh the likely merger other than for reasons I had listed in an earlier post (upgrade pool, having to start from scratch if I wanted to start flying AA now, etc).

The camps split between AA and US, DL and UA, etc. are just as passionate about their sides as Chevy vs Dodge or Apple vs Android.

Can you give some opinion on how you feel AA's mid-level elites are treated (e.g., upgrade list) and the experience in general? I have about 7,000 AA mi after a trip to LAS last year and I actually got moved to F because I was dlying alone on a Y ticket.

I am, however, looking forward to a native iOS app with Passbook.
pb3623 is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:40 am
  #77  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: UsAir,Priority Club, Bing, Southwest
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by lcove View Post
What makes you think you won't be able to still fly direct from CLT or PHL? I haven't seen anything announced that new US/AA will be cutting back on TATL flights.
I hope I am wrong but I am thinking that the miles requirements for those envoy seats will now be astronomical. I was able to do it for 100K per seat annually. This summer I had to go through *A instead of directly with US as they wanted 225k per seat. I am assuming that will be the new norm and that I won't have the saftey net of going through *A for the 100K per ticket like I did for this summer out on Luf and return on UA.
mydreamvacation is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:40 am
  #78  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Posts: 4,549
Yup if I stick with AA/US, I will be very happy with the IT side of things (assumig of course AA's IT shop wins--- if it doesn't, I will die a little on the inside).

Will also be happy to have Main Cabin Select option on tatl flights. CP certificates are a pain in the backside to use, and on the shortish trip to the UK I can deal with Y if I have just a little more leg room.

It's definitely not all bad, but still really wishing things didn't have to change on me.
dcpatti is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:46 am
  #79  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 125
Originally Posted by thomwithanh View Post
(null)
The Email doesn't imply much... How would the timeline typically work in a merger of this size?

Not sure why this isn't an active area of discussion.
phisher4 is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:48 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Posts: 1,738
So this is what it is like on the FT board after a major announcement? I started reading when there were 4 pages and am now finally posting on the 6th.

I'm not too concerned with the changing to OW. I don't have the miles accrued yet (only about 110K in the bank) to really take advantage of it. Also, I've never booked an award ticket beside to Hawaii so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

I do like being able to book Quantas as I will be going to Australia every other year moving forward. I am concerned because I will need to head to Australia in August and want to ensure it is credited to my US/AA account. I was planning on booking UA but depending on when the switch to OW takes place I may credit to Quantas. Ughh who knows what to do here.

My two main concerns as to whether to stay or go from US are whether PHX remains a hub and the potential for upgrades. I can't really do anything about upgrades and it doesn't sound like any of ther other airlines are any better. I guess wait and see is best. Here's to hoping that US management keeps the upgrades the same (with more elites obviously). The extra leg room in E+ or whatever it is would be nice as well.

I really just prefer to fly as direct as possible.

As far as PHX being a hub... I love the FAQs...

4. Will you still keep flying to my city?

The combined company is expected to maintain all existing hubs and service to all destinations currently served by American Airlines and US Airways, and to expand small-city service, providing significant benefits to those communities.

I should print this out and when PHX isn't a hub anymore refer back to it. I'm sure that would work!
WiscAZ is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:49 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DCA ZWU 09W
Programs: BA 2V UA SPG
Posts: 1,726
Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
I have a flight on UA in early September that I want to credit to US, and I need it to re-qualify for gold this year.
Originally Posted by Matthew_DC View Post
A friend and I were going to book a flight on various *A carriers later this year using our US miles.
Originally Posted by BigDaddyTL View Post
I booked a trip for late March 2013 all on US Airways. It's about 5000 miles total, so not insignificant.
Do not panic. Mergers do not occur overnight. Nothing will change for several months. When changes occur that will affect your flights or your miles, you will most certainly be informed about them at that time, and most likely will have weeks of advance notice before changes take effect.

Direct from the source: Upon merger approval, additional information on any future program updates, including account consolidation or benefit alignment, will be provided to customers of our frequent flyer programs.

Originally Posted by shaddie View Post
Since AA doesn't serve near as large a portion to "smaller" east coast cities as US currently does I wouldn't think they will cut a large portion of that out.
Especially because the DOJ review will likely focus, as it always does, on service to smaller communities.

Originally Posted by mydreamvacation View Post
I fly out of BDL or BOS and did a quick look on AA and they would be sending me all over the place.
Originally Posted by charlie00tj View Post
I primarily travel up and down the east coast... American doesn't work for me.
How did anyone get the idea that US Airways routes are going to completely disappear?

Originally Posted by Matthew_DC View Post
Also, does anyone know if there's a Oneworld tool similar to the ANA tool for checking award availability.
Unfortunately, no. BA and Qantas have the best search tools within the alliance, though both have issues.

Originally Posted by rocket2247 View Post
If I switch to another program, is there a way to transfer the 10 segments I currently have to the new program?
No.
paytonc is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:52 am
  #82  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: N/A
Posts: 379
Oh, one more.
I am dropping the USAiarways Mastercard, as well.
If miles erned on the mastercard could not be used on *A, there is no point for me to keep the card.
Now, I may have to start the "family card" on my husband's UA Mileageplus chase card.
I almost convinced my husband to drop chase card in view of USAirways mastercard.
I'm glad we did not do that.
msiamsia is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:54 am
  #83  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Posts: 1,738
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Do not panic. Mergers do not occur overnight. Nothing will change for several months. When changes occur that will affect your flights or your miles, you will most certainly be informed about them at that time, and most likely will have weeks of advance notice before changes take effect.
What do you suggest to do for one who is booking international travel on another airline in August? This is right in the middle of their "proposed" timeframe and if I book on UA am I SOL if US leaves *A in say July?
WiscAZ is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:55 am
  #84  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI
Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 15,127
Originally Posted by WiscAZ View Post
So this is what it is like on the FT board after a major announcement? I started reading when there were 4 pages and am now finally posting on the 6th.
You can change the settings to show 40 posts/page in your control panel.
Superguy is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:57 am
  #85  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,129
Originally Posted by WiscAZ View Post
What do you suggest to do for one who is booking international travel on another airline in August? This is right in the middle of their "proposed" timeframe and if I book on UA am I SOL if US leaves *A in say July?
While nothing has been announced about this yet, I'd bet strongly that if they ticket you, you will fly. I highly doubt that either UA or AA would risk the fallout from canceling ticketed reservations en masse.

Edited to confirm: I assume you mean that you're booking now for travel in August -- do you mean that you're planning to book in August?
LM225 is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 10:01 am
  #86  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI
Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 15,127
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Direct from the source: Upon merger approval, additional information on any future program updates, including account consolidation or benefit alignment, will be provided to customers of our frequent flyer programs.
My concern at this time is the implication in the FAQ that US will exit *A in Q3 when the merger closes.

Yes, we can earn in *A at least until then, but that uncertainty at this point is going to keep me from booking long haul international until I know one way or another.
Superguy is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 10:01 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Posts: 1,738
Originally Posted by LM225 View Post
While nothing has been announced about this yet, I'd bet strongly that if they ticket you, you will fly. I highly doubt that either UA or AA would risk the fallout from canceling ticketed reservations en masse.

Edited to confirm: I assume you mean that you're booking now for travel in August -- do you mean that you're planning to book in August?
I'm talking about paying for a flight on say UA and crediting miles to my US account. If US leaves *A in July but I book say in June for my August flight would UA still credit those miles to my US account even though technically they weren't in the same alliance at the time of flight?
WiscAZ is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 10:03 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Posts: 1,738
Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
My concern at this time is the implication in the FAQ that US will exit *A in Q3 when the merger closes.

Yes, we can earn in *A at least until then, but that uncertainty at this point is going to keep me from booking long haul international until I know one way or another.
Same concern here. I will need to fly in August but with the uncertainty I guess I will wait as long as possible. I assume once more becomes clear they will address this.
WiscAZ is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 10:03 am
  #89  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI
Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 15,127
Originally Posted by LM225 View Post
While nothing has been announced about this yet, I'd bet strongly that if they ticket you, you will fly. I highly doubt that either UA or AA would risk the fallout from canceling ticketed reservations en masse.

Edited to confirm: I assume you mean that you're booking now for travel in August -- do you mean that you're planning to book in August?
The worry isn't that the ticket won't be valid, it's that the ticket on UA or another *A carrier won't credit to DM then.

If you're on an international itinerary, especially in C or F, that can be a lot of PQMs lost. It's a lot to lose even in Y.
Superguy is offline  
Old Feb 14, 13, 10:15 am
  #90  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,129
Originally Posted by WiscAZ View Post
I'm talking about paying for a flight on say UA and crediting miles to my US account. If US leaves *A in July but I book say in June for my August flight would UA still credit those miles to my US account even though technically they weren't in the same alliance at the time of flight?
Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
The worry isn't that the ticket won't be valid, it's that the ticket on UA or another *A carrier won't credit to DM then.

If you're on an international itinerary, especially in C or F, that can be a lot of PQMs lost. It's a lot to lose even in Y.
Misunderstood, thanks for clarifying.
LM225 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: