Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by SS255
And I would be very surprised if "The New AAdvantage" did not add a revenue qualifier...
Wow. That thread sure is a kick in the teeth. Quite a future .... I guess the business model is fewer airlines means less competition, hence less capacity directed to price-inelastic business travelers. Wish I were one of them!

One thing I find a bit strange in the way UA does their revenue qualifier is that the money goes with the passenger. This makes it more like a minimum cpm on PQMs system. But what about spend spillover? That is, my travel generates a fair amount of ancillary travel from family members (and even others), much of which is on my credit card. I guess in cutting down on my travel, the airlines will be happy to cut down on this ancillary travel, too. See previous paragraph.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Wow. That thread sure is a kick in the teeth. Quite a future .... I guess the business model is fewer airlines means less competition, hence less capacity directed to price-inelastic business travelers. Wish I were one of them!

One thing I find a bit strange in the way UA does their revenue qualifier is that the money goes with the passenger. This makes it more like a minimum cpm on PQMs system. But what about spend spillover? That is, my travel generates a fair amount of ancillary travel from family members (and even others), much of which is on my credit card. I guess in cutting down on my travel, the airlines will be happy to cut down on this ancillary travel, too. See previous paragraph.
So far, UA and DL are waiving the revenue piece for co-branded credit card holders hitting a certain spend threshold. So in a way, that may address your concern.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: NEXUS, Amex Plat. JPMorgan Palladium
Merger Questions

If I book a trip on USAIR today...for flying in Novemeber 2013, will I be collecting Oneworld miles or Star Alliance miles? Assuming the merger is completed prior to travel?

thanks,

Jamie
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
There has been no final announcement when any change-over from Star to oneworld will take place. Any 'advice' you receive today will be speculation.

My guess: you will still be able to earn miles on your Star Alliance carrier of choice.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:48 am

The merger won't be complete at that time. You will be able to earn miles according to current airline partner options.

Please notice the sticky thread at the top of the page for more discussion about the merger.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: None
Definitely US miles (will be combined with AA miles sometime in 2014/2015) or may be able to choose to credit to US or AA. The ability to choose which program to credit to will be one of the first changes FF's wiill see.

Jim
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: AS MVP
On a somewhat related note, I'd like to get an educated guess on whether *A flights are likely to be able to be booked using US miles in December 2013, for travel Nov 2014. I'm thinking probably not.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AtlanticBeach
The merger won't be complete at that time. You will be able to earn miles according to current airline partner options.

Please notice the sticky thread at the top of the page for more discussion about the merger.
Actually, this is incorrect. By all estimates, the merger will be completed in the 3rd quarter, so in the next 3 months. That doesn't mean that anything will change from Day 1 though. Doug Parker has mentioned that US will exit *A 3-6 months after the merger takes place, i. e. most likely at some point in 2014, so any reservations for travel booked/completed by the end of 2013 should be fairly safe. I don't think even the new management announced recently knows specifics just yet. One thing I'm hoping for is they combine elite mileage balances for the sake of earning status right away - that way I can reach Executive Platinum or whatever the new level will be called for next year.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
On a somewhat related note, I'd like to get an educated guess on whether *A flights are likely to be able to be booked using US miles in December 2013, for travel Nov 2014. I'm thinking probably not.
I think this should be OK, however, US will stop offering *A options early in 2014, so if there's an issue with your Nov 2014 flights, you'll be out of luck. You can head to the BMI forum to read about issues many people had with booked tickets after BMI left *A and merged with BA. I personally wouldn't chance it. What they may be able to do though is provide US/AA or OW options if an issue arises. So, book at your own risk.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA-Silver, HHonors-Gold
Bye bye CLT and PHL as hubs after merger?

Interesting little tidbit from the GAO, but what do they know?
http://bloom.bg/16haCMK

The combined airline may close some of its hubs, the GAO concluded.
“For example, New York could serve as a better hub and international gateway than Philadelphia in the Northeast, while Miami could be a better hub than Charlotte in the Southeast,” the GAO report said.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by likestheaction
Interesting little tidbit from the GAO, but what do they know?
http://bloom.bg/16haCMK
PHL I can see. But I cannot see CLT going away. For those of us in the Northeast doing a midcon transfer, it's the only alternative to ORD. I don't want to fly all the way to Miami to get to Columbus, Ohio for example.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dare say that the GAO's analysis on CLT and PHL is right up there with nonsense like "New AA may decide that PHX offers a better western hub and international gateway than LAX."

As has been discussed repeatedly, there are no guarantees and it's possible that the flight schedules at PHL and CLT are adjusted, but that's a far cry from "new AA might close PHL and CLT hubs."

CLT and DFW are grossly over-served (far too many flights than can be justified by the local traffic - O&D), but that's a hallmark of huge hubs. ATL has been over-served for many years. But it's all DL has in the southeast, and so it remains.

As I've posted before, CLT-South America makes no sense, especially since a fair number of the passengers are connecting to MCO. O&D between CLT and Brazil is practically non-existent. But there's a more compelling case for CLT-Europe, where the O&D is larger. Same with PHL-Europe and perhaps even PHL-Japan. New AA will continue to fly from JFK to Europe, South America and Asia, but that doesn't mean new AA won't fly to some/many of those places from PHL.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastflyer
PHL I can see. But I cannot see CLT going away. For those of us in the Northeast doing a midcon transfer, it's the only alternative to ORD. I don't want to fly all the way to Miami to get to Columbus, Ohio for example.
Old AA already flies LGA-CMH and so will new AA. There's zero reason to fly to CLT to get from NYC to mid-western state capitals like CMH or IND.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:32 pm

US Airways-American Deal Would Cut Competition, GAO Says

Sorry if this was posted somewhere else:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...-gao-says.html
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
In other news, researchers find sky is blue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.