Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I wonder if US will start codesharing with BA/IB/JL before leaving Star.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by paytonc
Well, this might change the assumption that DCA service will necessarily be pared. From Reuters:
Yup, there's going to be a lot of pressure to keep all of the slots. US, especially, from the east coast delegation - particularly the northeast. It's simple - US provides connecting service to DCA from a lot of small airports. The Mainers up here are already pushing to keep BGR slotted.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The Mainers up here are already pushing to keep BGR slotted.
^ I miss the ability to earn/burn to BGR on AA….And to BHB on US…
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Question is, when will the FFPs be merged?

I still think US/AA will begin the new year in OW.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by CPRich
To be specific:

Management Team - mid-June 2013
Deal Close - 3Q13
Code Sharing - 3Q13
Leave *A - 3-6 months later - anywhere from 10/1/13 to 3/31/14
Combined reservations systems - - 3Q14 (good luck with that)
Singe Operating Certificate - 1Q15
So it's probably safe to say that as a United 1K (*A), I would not be getting double miles and free baggage on a US Air flight I book today for travel on March 31, 2014?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:48 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
AA/US to stay with Citibank post merger

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...citibank.html/
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
I guess that will make all those in-flight sales pitches from Barclay's limited time offer indeed...
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
How do mergers typically affect co-branded credit cards? When UA/CO merged did everyone who had a CO card (or whichever one didn't get kept) get moved to the UA card? I'm not a huge fan of Citi (the feeling is mutual I believe; 10+ years ago right out of college I made some stupid mistakes with credit cards and Citi was much tougher to deal with than any of my other banks) though it isn't going to be enough to cause me to cancel my card if I get moved to Citi.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by treznor
How do mergers typically affect co-branded credit cards? When UA/CO merged did everyone who had a CO card (or whichever one didn't get kept) get moved to the UA card? I'm not a huge fan of Citi (the feeling is mutual I believe; 10+ years ago right out of college I made some stupid mistakes with credit cards and Citi was much tougher to deal with than any of my other banks) though it isn't going to be enough to cause me to cancel my card if I get moved to Citi.
When UA and CO merged, UA introduced new credit card offerings. Those of us with "legacy" cards got to keep our cards, but they stopped issuing new accounts for the legacy credit card offerings.

The big difference is that Chase was the bank for both UA- and CO-branded cards, so the transition was "easy." US converted from BofA to Barclays a few years ago, but there are still some legacy BofA cardholders out there. For some reason, US migrated most of us from BofA to Barclays, but not everyone. There did not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to who was forced to convert to Barclays, and who got to keep their BofA cards.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EP 2MM; AS 75k; UA PP 2MM
US-American: Should I come back?

I have 1MM on US + 500,000 on AA. Since 2010, I've concentrated on UA (close to 2MM). US now has SAN-DCA nonstop. Tempting.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta Plat; SPG Plat
With the Delta Memphis hub getting the axe, I am thinking of making the switch to US-AA. I was a Chairman's Preferred back in 2001-02, and I have some fond memories of the service, but my recent experiences on US have not been very good. That said, it does offer good flight availability to the places I travel the most, and it doesn't look as though DM has been gutted to quite the extreme that SkyPesos has.

Anyone have any thoughts or insight as to where US-AA is heading with the FFP? If they are going to be more like AA, then I will definitely make the jump, even though it will make it hard for me to hit my usual status this year.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Memphis Mile Hound
With the Delta Memphis hub getting the axe, I am thinking of making the switch to US-AA. I was a Chairman's Preferred back in 2001-02, and I have some fond memories of the service, but my recent experiences on US have not been very good. That said, it does offer good flight availability to the places I travel the most, and it doesn't look as though DM has been gutted to quite the extreme that SkyPesos has.

Anyone have any thoughts or insight as to where US-AA is heading with the FFP? If they are going to be more like AA, then I will definitely make the jump, even though it will make it hard for me to hit my usual status this year.
IMHO, even if the FFP comes out entirely as USDM or as AAdvantage, you're still better off than Delta. Given that it'll be some blend of US and AA, I have to think you'll be that much better off.

What makes you like the AA program better than US? I'm a low level US elite, so I am very partial to DM - the bottom tier benefits are probably the best of any program. I hadn't given it much thought as a top tier, but I'm guessing the EXP SWU certificates are pretty nice.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by Memphis Mile Hound

Lot of folks from MEM here now! Good to see!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta Plat; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Azzuristar
Lot of folks from MEM here now! Good to see!
Indeed. I can't say that I really blame Delta for closing down the Memphis hub, as I don't think the Memphis market really supported it, but now I find myself with no real reason to stick with Delta.

In response to the other poster above, I agree that either DM or AA's program would be far superior to the sham that is Sky Pesos these days. I've heard rumours, however, that Parker intends to take RA's lead and greatly reduce the benefits of the joint program after the merger. Given that I don't fly either AA or US that much currently, I was interested to hear from folks in this forum if there's any real substance to those rumours.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
IMHO, even if the FFP comes out entirely as USDM or as AAdvantage, you're still better off than Delta. Given that it'll be some blend of US and AA, I have to think you'll be that much better off.

What makes you like the AA program better than US? I'm a low level US elite, so I am very partial to DM - the bottom tier benefits are probably the best of any program. I hadn't given it much thought as a top tier, but I'm guessing the EXP SWU certificates are pretty nice.
I just hope there is no devaluation and/or the equivalent of *net blocking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.