Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nlkm9
on a flight from ORF to CLT today, the flight attendant in FC had a lot to say about the merger-he warned that US status will mean very little and that American has only 2 levels that get ug on regular basis, etc, etc.
I have never flown on American Airlines so i couldnt say. He said there is a one world website that explains everything he was saying...
If one wants to look at upgrades, the right place is aa.com, not a oneworld site. If you're attached to unlimited 'domestic' upgrades but can't do paid flying of 100K miles annually (or 1 of 2 other qualiying measures), AAdvantage (as presently configured) will disappoint.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...fits-chart.jsp
Old May 31, 2013, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I assume you fat-fingered the keyboard and meant to type "AA 757s" or perhaps "AA 767s." As a dozen people will point out, AA has no 747s.

If the old HP (now US) 757s flown PHX-HNL are too decrepit and must be retired, then I assume that some AA 757s (domestic configuration) will fly in their place.

AA is refurbishing some of its younger 757s (the oldest 757s will be retired as A321s and 738s are delivered to replace them) so AA will have HNL-capable-757s for LAX or PHX to Hawai'i for years to come.

As the AAdvantage program considers Hawai'i flights to be domestic for "sticker" upgrades (actually electronic 500s), then I assume that PHX-HNL will be treated the same once the frequent flyer programs are integrated. At AA, all flights in and between North America (including Mexico), Caribbean and Central America are "domestic" for upgrades (don't have to use miles or SWUs, although they're permitted). Unlike UA, we even get to upgrade the premium JFK-LAX/SFO transcons without using miles, SWUs or special certs.
More likely a RJ to LAX where you will connect to mainline for the onward to HNL.
Old May 31, 2013, 5:20 pm

but they are under 2 cents a mile now--------------1750 dollars for 100k miles.
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Are you talking about buying US miles with cash through the website? Even with the 100% bonus, they're still well above 2 cents per mile, which is more than I'd say they're worth. I'd avoid that. My exception to buying miles is to top off an account for an award - meaning, I have 85k but need 5k more to book that award RT. I might do it speculatively, meaning without a particular trip in mind, if I'm close - but I wouldn't outright buy miles just to have them unless they came in under 2 cents each.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by 360guy
I cannot find any discussion if the new AA will honor the US Airways (America West) Club Lifetime Membership.
Read posts 635 etc.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:58 am

anyone have a link to a post (or other source) that does a side by side comparison between current chairman us and AA exec plat?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I was a lifetime TWA Club member in the past and was screwed by the AA buyout (they lost 95% of my subsequent business when they screwed us lifers). Fortunately I manuevered my TWA Lifetime club status to free a lifetime USAIR Club (think Piedmont option and blind luck). If I can count on a lifetime lounge membership in the merged airline then I'm in for the duration and will take what comes.

Meanwhile my simple decision today is how to fly between multiple connecting cities US-Canada (Aug 2013)and add to my mileage bank in ether AA or USAIR and get free lounge access to boot.

My plan, subject to any negative comments by the readers, is to book a cheap ticket on Air Canada and supply my USAIR FF # and to use my USAIR Club card for lounge access in the canadian Maple Leaf lounges.

Does this sound workable?

Meanwhile my ultimate dream is that the post merger airline will see fit to reopen the old closed down USAIR club at MCO
Seems free club lounge membership (In cruddy US airline clubs) would be a poor way to decide which airline to be loyal to.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by mybagfits
anyone have a link to a post (or other source) that does a side by side comparison between current chairman us and AA exec plat?
Each of the corresponding websites will detail the benefits of elite status. But some AA EXP differences are that you have to check-off the flights you want to upgrade, even though they are complimentary. You can upgrade a companion, who will clear at your window, but it must be done using e500s. If you haven't accumulated any in your "bank" they cost $30 each. And you only accumulate them while you are Gold or Platinum status, not while being EXP, and also when you reach MM status for the first time. EXPs also receive 8 SWUs each year that can be used for any domestic or international itinerary, which may be confirmed from the time of booking. They are transferable to another flier, even if not travelling with you. And should an EXP find themselves in coach, they are entitled to a free alcoholic beverage, as well as something off the BOB menu. Also, when travelling internationally, an EXP has access to any applicable OW first class / AA Flagship lounge (not the standard business class lounge). The one downside of the upgrade process is that it is done by date of request (and of course by status). I prefer the US method of doing it by how much you have flowm YTD.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyingny
but they are under 2 cents a mile now--------------1750 dollars for 100k miles.
I know, see my response to the first guy that corrected me. Sorry.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
The cabin layout for AA's soon-to-be-delivered 319s has just been revealed. 8F/18Y+/102Y = 128 total seats. Oh-Oh!!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
The cabin layout for AA's soon-to-be-delivered 319s has just been revealed. 8F/18Y+/102Y = 128 total seats. Oh-Oh!!
Those will be some fun upgrades for sure. I try to avoid 319s on US because there are only 12 seats in F. I have to imagine there will be some routes that upgrades just don't happen with 8 F seats.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:58 am

I have over 40 e500's in my AA account just sitting there. Wondering what will happen to them after the merge and should I be using them all up now, or
sit and wait and see.

I'm a MM in AA but fly rarely with them now, MM & CP on US. Will I end up
being EXP on AA.....I know, anyone's guess at this point.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Well, this might change the assumption that DCA service will necessarily be pared. From Reuters:

[106] members of Congress have asked U.S. regulators to allow American Airlines (AAMRQ.PK) and US Airways Group (LCC.N) to keep all their airport slots at Reagan National Airport outside Washington D.C. if the companies' planned merger is approved.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by hitherandyon
I have over 40 e500's in my AA account just sitting there. Wondering what will happen to them after the merge and should I be using them all up now, or sit and wait and see.
If it helps, you may be able to convert them into miles. I've done so in the past, when I accumulated more than I could use.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
US to Leave *A Within 6 Months of Merger

At least there's a timeframe now...

US Airways to Leave Star Alliance Within Six Months of Merger, AA-US to Announce Management Team Mid Month

In an interview with Bloomberg News, American’s CEO Tom Horton and US’s CEO Doug Parker said that the merger of the two airlines is proceeding on schedule and that American will emerge from bankruptcy protection as the deal closes in the third quarter.

The combined airline will be based in Fort Worth ....
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
To be specific:

Management Team - mid-June 2013
Deal Close - 3Q13
Code Sharing - 3Q13
Leave *A - 3-6 months later - anywhere from 10/1/13 to 3/31/14
Combined reservations systems - - 3Q14 (good luck with that)
Singe Operating Certificate - 1Q15

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.