Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
84
28.19%
No
214
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 8, 13, 9:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

 
Old May 13, 13, 12:05 pm
  #631  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Trenton, NJ (PHL, EWR)
Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Posts: 1,633
In response to a few point, yes, I know UA is a gamble. But I've split my travel at 50/30/20 between US/UA/*A over the past few years because, as I said, I'm stuck between their two major hubs. Yes, EWR is a dump but there are more direct flights across the pond and, if I'm not getting any upgrades TATL on US anyway, it comes down to a cost/benefit ratio of direct vs. connection. Plus my primary intl destination, DUB, is served by a 752 w/IFE by UA, and a dumpy 762 without IFE by US.

You are correct about the status match, nothing currently due to *A rules and agreements. If that ends, I can match through the challenge and retain *G. And quite frankly, I don't look forward to surchages through the teeth for intl rewards that I'll be mostly forced to connect through LHR for.

For me, I think there's more value staying in *A. I'll give the new AA a shot out of loyalty, but I'm not optimistic.
FlyIgglesFly is offline  
Old May 13, 13, 1:04 pm
  #632  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: High Point, NC
Programs: None
Posts: 9,171
For those with shorter-term trips ahead - before the end of this year - book it with US (paid or award) or AA (paid). While it's been announced that cross-booking between US and AA will happen quickly, the programs won't be merged and US won't leave *A (or if it does tickets will still be good).

Next year is the earliest there'll be real uncertainty with the timing of merging FF programs, leaving *A and no more *A awards available, etc.

Jim
BoeingBoy is offline  
Old May 14, 13, 5:24 pm
  #633  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,909
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
I thought that KUPs booked into P and YUPs booked into A.
correct (I was using a generic 'F'). My experience with irrops on these fares is that provided a first class seat is available then you normally get it (but oddly enough, the flight must be available in Y or K class in order to book you into A/P)
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is online now  
Old May 14, 13, 10:57 pm
  #634  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Posts: 920
I'm at a decision point today about booking travel US-Canada and this thread is key to my decision.

here's my considerations

I'm no longer Gold on AA nor a premium tier in US but would benifit for a lifetime membership level if they combine the mileage flown on both airlines in the merger.
Thus my reason for reviewing this thread to protect my investment.

I was a lifetime TWA Club member in the past and was screwed by the AA buyout (they lost 95% of my subsequent business when they screwed us lifers). Fortunately I manuevered my TWA Lifetime club status to free a lifetime USAIR Club (think Piedmont option and blind luck). If I can count on a lifetime lounge membership in the merged airline then I'm in for the duration and will take what comes.

Meanwhile my simple decision today is how to fly between multiple connecting cities US-Canada (Aug 2013)and add to my mileage bank in ether AA or USAIR and get free lounge access to boot.

My plan, subject to any negative comments by the readers, is to book a cheap ticket on Air Canada and supply my USAIR FF # and to use my USAIR Club card for lounge access in the canadian Maple Leaf lounges.

Does this sound workable?

Meanwhile my ultimate dream is that the post merger airline will see fit to reopen the old closed down USAIR club at MCO
Lomapaseo is offline  
Old May 15, 13, 10:00 am
  #635  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Posts: 1,630
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
I'm at a decision point today about booking travel US-Canada and this thread is key to my decision.

here's my considerations

I'm no longer Gold on AA nor a premium tier in US but would benifit for a lifetime membership level if they combine the mileage flown on both airlines in the merger.
Thus my reason for reviewing this thread to protect my investment.

I was a lifetime TWA Club member in the past and was screwed by the AA buyout (they lost 95% of my subsequent business when they screwed us lifers). Fortunately I manuevered my TWA Lifetime club status to free a lifetime USAIR Club (think Piedmont option and blind luck). If I can count on a lifetime lounge membership in the merged airline then I'm in for the duration and will take what comes.

Meanwhile my simple decision today is how to fly between multiple connecting cities US-Canada (Aug 2013)and add to my mileage bank in ether AA or USAIR and get free lounge access to boot.

My plan, subject to any negative comments by the readers, is to book a cheap ticket on Air Canada and supply my USAIR FF # and to use my USAIR Club card for lounge access in the canadian Maple Leaf lounges.

Does this sound workable?

Meanwhile my ultimate dream is that the post merger airline will see fit to reopen the old closed down USAIR club at MCO
I don't see any dilemmas in your post.

As to US Club, I believe the new AA ( if merger works out ) will retain AC, convert US Clubs to AC in locations without AC, and close US Clubs in locations with AC ( unless in different terminals / zones ). My guess is that LT US Club members would be converted to some sort of AC membership - don't know LT or not.

Also, keep in mind that partner flights even if credited to AA / US do not count towards MM - only the airline own metal counts.
burlax is offline  
Old May 15, 13, 2:34 pm
  #636  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Posts: 920
Burlax

Thanks

I can live with that and only hope that it gets the better parts.
Lomapaseo is offline  
Old May 15, 13, 7:41 pm
  #637  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Posts: 1,213
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
Wouldn't it be cheaper to NOT fly out of a hub?
I live in CLT, and find the flights very reasonably priced domestically. CLT-ORD $246- $346 the last few months for example.
scottsam66 is offline  
Old May 16, 13, 10:21 am
  #638  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 31,790
Originally Posted by burlax View Post
I don't see any dilemmas in your post.

As to US Club, I believe the new AA ( if merger works out ) will retain AC, convert US Clubs to AC in locations without AC, and close US Clubs in locations with AC ( unless in different terminals / zones ). My guess is that LT US Club members would be converted to some sort of AC membership - don't know LT or not.
Lifetime memberships in the US club will remain lifetime members, as US is not in Ch 11 and thus cannot reject the obligation.

Even in Ch 11, AA has not rejected its lifetime Admirals Club memberships, so those will continue as well. In two successive bankruptcies, US didn't terminate its lifetime memberships.

The current situation has no similarity to the TWA asset purchase by AA in 2001. Had AA merged with TWA, TWA's obligations would have survived. From a customer relations standpoint, AA may have done the wrong thing in not extending lifetime AC membersips to the TWA lifetime club members.
FWAAA is offline  
Old May 16, 13, 10:34 pm
  #639  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Posts: 920
Lifetime memberships in the US club will remain lifetime members, as US is not in Ch 11 and thus cannot reject the obligation.
I like that reasoning ^

I'm in the process of booking tickets for the remainder of the year and any Knowledge of when AA might honor the US Club card would be helpful in my routings ?

My guess on this is that it doesn't require much integration to simply advise the various club's staff (Admirals and USair) to simply go by the plastic presented at the time. Kind of similar to what Continental did for the Delta Crown Room members a couple years ago.

If that idea works then I could see a chance immediately after the signature hits the paper on the merger, August ??
Lomapaseo is offline  
Old May 17, 13, 1:14 am
  #640  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Posts: 1,630
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Lifetime memberships in the US club will remain lifetime members, as US is not in Ch 11 and thus cannot reject the obligation.

Even in Ch 11, AA has not rejected its lifetime Admirals Club memberships, so those will continue as well. In two successive bankruptcies, US didn't terminate its lifetime memberships.

The current situation has no similarity to the TWA asset purchase by AA in 2001. Had AA merged with TWA, TWA's obligations would have survived. From a customer relations standpoint, AA may have done the wrong thing in not extending lifetime AC membersips to the TWA lifetime club members.
You mean can't lawfully reject them. Even in BK, it would be somewhat problematic to reject these contracts as they have arguably been fully performed by the customer ( already paid for LT membership ). However, if US/AA followed in UA footsteps ( which I think is unlikely ) who knows what's gonna happen. One can certainly give credit to AA for not trying to screw customers. It seems that Horton's view on customer retention is quite different from Smisek's.
burlax is offline  
Old May 17, 13, 10:45 am
  #641  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 31,790
Originally Posted by burlax View Post
You mean can't lawfully reject them. Even in BK, it would be somewhat problematic to reject these contracts as they have arguably been fully performed by the customer ( already paid for LT membership ). However, if US/AA followed in UA footsteps ( which I think is unlikely ) who knows what's gonna happen. One can certainly give credit to AA for not trying to screw customers. It seems that Horton's view on customer retention is quite different from Smisek's.
Good point. Theoretically, Parker could send a Dear John letter to the US lifetime club members, and let the litigation fly, but since he didn't do that between 2005 and now, I don't predict he'd try it now.

My main point was that the AA purchase of TWA's assets in 2001 provides no insight or guidance as to the future of lifetime club memberships in either the Admirals Club or the US club.

In 2001, AA refused to extend a lifetime membership to some customers who had never paid AA for a club membership - they bought a lifetime membership in an airline that sold its assets to AA and where AA assumed certain (but not all) liabilities. Had AA merged with TWA instead, their lifetime memberships would still be in existence today. They bet on the wrong horse, and AA refused to grant them a do-over.
FWAAA is offline  
Old May 17, 13, 11:04 am
  #642  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Originally Posted by burlax View Post
Also, keep in mind that partner flights even if credited to AA / US do not count towards MM - only the airline own metal counts.
Your assertion is not correct with respect to AA. BIS miles on all AAdvantage-participating carriers count toward Million Miler status.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ec-2011-a.html
3Cforme is offline  
Old May 20, 13, 9:29 am
  #643  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 7
UA Star Alliance Gold to US Div Miles or AAdvantage

Hi everyone

Read all through this thread and am wondering if anyone has actually requested matching status with either USAir or American and gotten it?

I am gold with UA but actually fly most of my miles on USAir and would rather try to switch now than next year when everything will be 'mostly' finalized.

I am interested in what was required to request matching status?

Thanks for your help.
bman6262 is offline  
Old May 20, 13, 10:23 am
  #644  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Programs: US Airways Gold Preferred, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 155
PHX to CLT in October

Found a couple great airfares to CLT from PHX in October not on US Airways. One on AA and one on United. The question I have is which one do I take a chance on when it comes to the merger?

I know that no one knows what the future holds but is it reasonable to think that US will still be a part of the Star Alliance come mid-October. I imagine that if I took AA I would not be afforded any elite benefits.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.
RMPearl is offline  
Old May 20, 13, 10:41 am
  #645  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: High Point, NC
Programs: None
Posts: 9,171
US generally doesn't do matches, preferring paid trials instead - pay a fee for an elite level then fly X miles on US metal within 90 days (X depends on elite level sought). US may offer corporate level matches if the corporation offers enough potential business. I think AA may have something similar.

Jim
BoeingBoy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: