Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: None
Plus AA has to file an official POR followed by a vote of the creditors. Assuming approval by the creditors, then the judge gives final approval to the POR. In the US bankruptcies the judges set aside periods of a few weeks for any alternative offers to be made.

Jim
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Plus AA has to file an official POR followed by a vote of the creditors. Assuming approval by the creditors, then the judge gives final approval to the POR. In the US bankruptcies the judges set aside periods of a few weeks for any alternative offers to be made.

Jim
They wont have any issues on that. They have that sort of thing locked down. There is no better offer out there an everyone knows that.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by iowa guy
Is the 40k bonus points for signing up for the US AIR credit card about the best offer you've seen from them?
Pretty much. The DM card gives you a 5k discount per ticket on awards solely on US metal. So, you still can get 2 free Y tickets out of it instead of getting and burning 50k miles.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
UA miles on US award in Sept '13?

I'm thinking of flying PHL-BCN in Sept on US using some UA miles. Given the upcoming merger with AA, will my flight be grandfathered?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Go ahead and book it. From past experiences you should be fine. Once booked and ticket is issued, it will be honored. I have never experienced or heard of otherwise. Have a great trip...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nor4
I'm thinking of flying PHL-BCN in Sept on US using some UA miles. Given the upcoming merger with AA, will my flight be grandfathered?
http://newamericanarriving.com/faq

As we work toward completing the transaction, which we expect to occur in the third quarter of 2013, it remains business as usual at American Airlines and US Airways.
Keep in mind that the merger being referenced will ONLY be the corporate merger at the BoD level (where both airlines will now be owned by the same holding company and have the same corporate board). The part where US leaves *A and begins integrating operations with AA will take a considerable time, and does not happen until after that, since US needs to operate as a separate business until such time as there has been a merger (which may not even happen by September 2013).

So, no, your ticket should be fine. Have fun in Spain. My guess is that people should be able to burn for US flights (and burn US miles for *A flights) through much of 2013, and in any case, there will be a period of weeks where US will tell everyone "last call for *A" (which also hasn't happened yet).
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:51 am

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
No they no longer do. Since about a year ago -- no direct flights from the US to NZ on Qantas you route via Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne

Originally Posted by finny52
Qantas flies directly from LAX to AKL
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by perseus11
The published quote:
- An initial design for an automated people-mover system between concourses that will make it easier for passengers to connect to other flights;
Thats one of my biggest problems with PHL. International connections. It a really long hike from B/C to A. It can easily take up to 30 minutes if you come in at the far end of C. We've almost missed several TATL Flights because of late incoming flights into PHL. One one we made the flight, barely, and I knew that our luggage would not and it didn't.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by drowelf
Thats one of my biggest problems with PHL. International connections. It a really long hike from B/C to A. It can easily take up to 30 minutes if you come in at the far end of C. We've almost missed several TATL Flights because of late incoming flights into PHL. One one we made the flight, barely, and I knew that our luggage would not and it didn't.
I have a feeling that more flights will be shifted over to terminal A from C. Specifically, to the gates at A-east where AA is at. Maybe if the city authorities pull their heads out of their arses, they will look into redesigning and updating terminal C (as well as B). Isn't the plan to relocate the runways now in the wastebin?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
I normally fly DL from CMH-LGA. Given the upcoming merger. Should I start flying AA in the hopes once the merger is complete segments will be merged to determine status for 2014?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007
I normally fly DL from CMH-LGA. Given the upcoming merger. Should I start flying AA in the hopes once the merger is complete segments will be merged to determine status for 2014?
Nobody knows.

Assuming the merger closes during 2013, it would be great if qualifying activity at both airlines was aggregated at 12/31/13 to determine status for 2014, but until US-AA makes announcements covering such matters, nobody knows.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, American Platinum Pro
US to leave Star - advance notice?

I'm about to book a Ticket in Envoy Class with US Airways in November. However I'm unsure if US will still be in Star by November? I'm going to credit there Miles to LH and wouldn't want to "waste" those miles. Especially since my travel companion needs the miles to keep his LH Gold Status. How long do they need to inform before the switch to OneWorld? Thank you.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by luxair
I'm about to book a Ticket in Envoy Class with US Airways in November. However I'm unsure if US will still be in Star by November? I'm going to credit there Miles to LH and wouldn't want to "waste" those miles. Especially since my travel companion needs the miles to keep his LH Gold Status. How long do they need to inform before the switch to OneWorld? Thank you.
Nobody knows. Nothing has been announced other than the transaction merging the two corporate boards will close sometime in Q3 2013.

NEXT!

Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I have a feeling that more flights will be shifted over to terminal A from C. Specifically, to the gates at A-east where AA is at.
US is already operating a number of flights out of that concourse at peak times.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
However, gates A3, 5, 7, and I think 9 are not connected to the customs/immigration corridor, and at least 3 and 5 have the appearance of a bigger waiting area since they are not cut-up to wall-in ramps to lower boarding gates like B and C (and design-wise, D).

I wonder if the ramp LED system will be expanded to A, I was skeptical, but there was a noted improvement after they were added to B and C.

Also, on the spec-tech line: will all US gates get FIDS monitors to run through standby lists, etc., now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.