Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
oneworld FF tickets will kill you. Availability is no where near as good as *A. If you use BA you will pay huge fuel surcharges. US pax will be kicking and screaming within a short time. I have over 500,000 AA miles and find it almost impossible to use. US was never great by any means for FF tickets, it just got worst and much more expensive.
All depends on where you want to go. CX and JL TPAC F award space is plentiful and without fuel surcharges. I'd happily take your "almost impossible to use" AA miles and book myself several F trips to Asia.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: UsAir,Priority Club, Bing, Southwest
oneworld FF tickets will kill you. Availability is no where near as good as *A. If you use BA you will pay huge fuel surcharges. US pax will be kicking and screaming within a short time. I have over 500,000 AA miles and find it almost impossible to use. US was never great by any means for FF tickets, it just got worst and much more expensive.
This is my big worry- I wish I could fit in a big trip this fall so I could book now as I think my 300K are going to be worthless but after spending two weeks in Italy in July I don't think I can swing a hop over the pond any time soon. Maybe I will have to look for May 2014 if there is still *A bookable by then.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
All depends on where you want to go. CX and JL TPAC F award space is plentiful and without fuel surcharges. I'd happily take your "almost impossible to use" AA miles and book myself several F trips to Asia.
What about to Italy?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:55 pm

just curious how many miles would it run from BOS or BDL to Asia in the summer on average in first maybe I need to rethink my summer vacation for 2014
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by mydreamvacation
just curious how many miles would it run from BOS or BDL to Asia in the summer on average in first maybe I need to rethink my summer vacation for 2014
US-Asia 2 (all of Asia save Japan, Korea, Mongolia, and the Indian Subcontinent) is 67.5K each way in F (135K r/t). You're allowed to connect in Asia 1 (NRT, basically). US-Asia 1 (Japan, Korea, Mongolia) is 62.5K each way in F, but you can't connect in Asia 2, so you're basically flying JL or AA TPAC. CX has phenomenal F inventory out of pretty much all of its US destinations.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:20 pm

US-Asia 2 (all of Asia save Japan, Korea, Mongolia, and the Indian Subcontinent) is 67.5K each way in F (135K r/t). You're allowed to connect in Asia 1 (NRT, basically). US-Asia 1 (Japan, Korea, Mongolia) is 62.5K each way in F, but you can't connect in Asia 2, so you're basically flying JL or AA TPAC. CX has phenomenal F inventory out of pretty much all of its US destinations.
Please excuse my ignorance but you have me interested now in the thought of possibly going to Asia, my son's dream has always been to go to China or Japan and he graduates college in May 2014 that might be a nice graduation gift. I am ignorant though when it comes to these acronyms JC TOAC and CX. Also NRT? I have heard that Cathay Pacific has a wonderful first class product. It is nice to think I have a back up from out standard Italy (which we do love) the other thought would be quantas for Austrailia over winter break but I am guessing the miles would be much higher
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:55 pm

Please excuse my ignorance but you have me interested now in the thought of possibly going to Asia, my son's dream has always been to go to China or Japan and he graduates college in May 2014 that might be a nice graduation gift. I am ignorant though when it comes to these acronyms JC TOAC and CX. Also NRT? I have heard that Cathay Pacific has a wonderful first class product. It is nice to think I have a back up from out standard Italy (which we do love) the other thought would be quantas for Austrailia over winter break but I am guessing the miles would be much higher
JL = Japan Air Lines (JAL)
CX = Cathay Pacific
NRT = Tokyo Narita Airport (the main international airport for Tokyo)
TPAC is shorthand for trans-Pacific (TATL then is trans-Atlantic)

QANTAS (note no 'u') can be really hard to get seats on with AA miles, since members with miles in other programs can book the seats before AA members. However, CX first class space is readily available (with no need to try to snag it 11 months out).

Italy won't be impossible after the merger, but Asia will probably be easier and with less cash outlay. The cheap way (in terms of cash) to Italy would be Iberia via Madrid, Finnair via Helsinki, or AirBerlin via DUS. Unfortunately, BA has way more seats (and makes more available for awards) than those carriers, so that's where you'll find the seats (and accompanying fuel surcharges).
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
anyone have any idea when the last time to redeem us air miles on star will be??
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
anyone have any idea when the last time to redeem us air miles on star will be??
My corporate travel desk is currently renegotiating contracts with both US/AA and with UA; we are Star-heavy on our contracted routes but with certain cities being non-Star strongholds (ATL, DFW, etc and soon to be DCA) there are contracts with other carriers. They have advised us that there will be NO changes to any alliance memberships for minimum 6 months. They announced this in the context of status matches and will give updates as they get them.

I can't promise that they're right but since they're doing contract negotiations, I'd feel safe following their advice.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dcpatti
My corporate travel desk is currently renegotiating contracts with both US/AA and with UA; we are Star-heavy on our contracted routes but with certain cities being non-Star strongholds (ATL, DFW, etc and soon to be DCA) there are contracts with other carriers. They have advised us that there will be NO changes to any alliance memberships for minimum 6 months. They announced this in the context of status matches and will give updates as they get them.

I can't promise that they're right but since they're doing contract negotiations, I'd feel safe following their advice.
Agreed. There's no way US switches to OW prior to government approval, which I think the original statement said was targeting for 6 months from now. Even that would be very aggressive. It'll probably be 9-12 months that US will remain in Star, and potentially (though I doubt it) all the way up until the merger is complete.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:27 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I'd happily take your "almost impossible to use" AA miles and book myself several F trips to Asia.
Yes, I'll be more than happy to take your miles if you can't use them

What about to Italy?
In addition to redeeming nonstop flights to Italy on AA without fuel surcharges, you can also book a single-connection itinerary on FI or AB without fuel surcharges @:-)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP | US PLT | Marriott PLT Premier | IHG PLT
The New American is Arriving (US and AA announce merger - MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD)

AA needs to start flying to Doha or India! I know mumbai and delhi have a lot of competition but the tier 2 cities are there to be taken! Middle East carriers are making a killing because if lack of completion! And if yhey decide not to fly to india, at least fly to Doha to take advantage of Qatar flights. Any indication of that happening?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by joejoe666
AA needs to start flying to Doha or India! I know mumbai and delhi have a lot of competition but the tier 2 cities are there to be taken! Middle East carriers are making a killing because if lack of completion! And if yhey decide not to fly to india, at least fly to Doha to take advantage of Qatar flights. Any indication of that happening?
AA used to fly ORD-DEL until early 2012. Haven't heard of any new plans in the region since...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:25 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by joejoe666
AA needs to start flying to Doha or India!
The ORD-DEL service was dropped last year. This was widely thought to be a result of the cost of carrying fuel over such a long distance. The flights were often full, so if fuel costs decrease, I'd imagine that AA would reconsider these kinds of long routes.

As for DOH, it's not too difficult to reach with the existing earn/burn relationship on EY (AUH is just 200 miles away).
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
The ORD-DEL service was dropped last year. This was widely thought to be a result of the cost of carrying fuel over such a long distance. The flights were often full, so if fuel costs decrease, I'd imagine that AA would reconsider these kinds of long routes.

As for DOH, it's not too difficult to reach with the existing earn/burn relationship on EY (AUH is just 200 miles away).
They'll probably return after more fuel-efficient options appear, as in B787 that are on order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.