Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The AA version of an email going to all FF members of both airlines arrived a few minutes ago:

Dear Shareholder,
AAdvantage Executive Platinum Number: XXXXXXX

Today is a big day for American and US Airways.

Our merger has legally closed, which means we're taking an exciting step toward building the new American. We're combining to form a stronger airline with an extensive network, greater schedule options and a modern and fuel-efficient fleet.

It's important to note that there is no impact to any existing reservations you may have with American Airlines or US Airways at this time, and any mileage balance or elite status you have earned in either frequent flyer program is completely safe.

We'll continue to function as two separate airlines for quite some time, and very few changes will happen immediately. For now, you won't see any changes to your travel experience as we will be focusing completely on delivering a superior operation during the busy holiday travel season. But, beginning in early January, we'll announce exciting new benefits such as the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers and reciprocal lounge access.

Your continued loyalty is very important to us, and we will be working hard in the coming weeks and months to deliver a world class travel experience. Look for additional communications from our new American team on these and other benefits headed your way. You also can stay up-to-date on the latest developments by visiting aa.com/arriving, as well as following our social channels.

I'm excited to start this journey and look forward to building a stronger airline for you.

Sincerely,
Scott Kirby
President
American Airlines

And more details at the "New American" web page: http://www.aa.com/arriving
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:26 am

Leaving Star

They also announced leaving Star on March 30th and joining One World on March 31st.
So no month without an alliance as had been previously rumored.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:35 am

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
"Customers can immediately combine rewards miles from the two airlines"

http://business.time.com/2013/12/09/...rgest-airline/
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:03 am

Was really hoping for more info about what reciprocal FF benefits means. Still needing to book a couple transcons for January and American is far cheaper...
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
I find this snippet from the integration page interesting:

We plan to continue relationships with the following airlines, which means you’ll be able to earn miles on these select partners even after we’ve exited Star Alliance: Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP and Turkish Airways.

That's half of the Star Alliance right there, including the African carriers (very useful)...
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:07 am

I'm still not 100% on when AAMRQ and LCC shares will exchange for AAL. I saw someone else post that my brokerage (Fidelity) will exchange on Thursday. I hope that's true, I'd like to be able to close my position eventually.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by superweak

We plan to continue relationships with the following airlines, which means you’ll be able to earn miles on these select partners even after we’ve exited Star Alliance: Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP and Turkish Airways.

That's half of the Star Alliance right there, including the African carriers (very useful)...
I missed that part. So anyone sweating crediting miles to A3 might not have to worry
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:30 am

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.

I assume that you'll be able to book awards on those airlines using US Airway miles? That would be great.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat

I wonder whether those Miles would be Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) ...

Presently, miles earned from non-*A US partners (Jet, Hawaiian, Qatar, Jordanian) are not EQMs.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:06 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Can I start putting my AA FF number in my US flights starting on Jan 1 2014?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
The AA version of an email going to all FF members of both airlines arrived a few minutes ago:

Dear Shareholder,
AAdvantage Executive Platinum Number: XXXXXXX

Today is a big day for American and US Airways.

Our merger has legally closed, which means we're taking an exciting step toward building the new American. We're combining to form a stronger airline with an extensive network, greater schedule options and a modern and fuel-efficient fleet.

It's important to note that there is no impact to any existing reservations you may have with American Airlines or US Airways at this time, and any mileage balance or elite status you have earned in either frequent flyer program is completely safe.

We'll continue to function as two separate airlines for quite some time, and very few changes will happen immediately. For now, you won't see any changes to your travel experience as we will be focusing completely on delivering a superior operation during the busy holiday travel season. But, beginning in early January, we'll announce exciting new benefits such as the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers and reciprocal lounge access.

Your continued loyalty is very important to us, and we will be working hard in the coming weeks and months to deliver a world class travel experience. Look for additional communications from our new American team on these and other benefits headed your way. You also can stay up-to-date on the latest developments by visiting aa.com/arriving, as well as following our social channels.

I'm excited to start this journey and look forward to building a stronger airline for you.

Sincerely,
Scott Kirby
President
American Airlines

And more details at the "New American" web page: http://www.aa.com/arriving
Interesting that he mentions earning miles across both airlines with reciprocal lounge access, but NO MENTION of reciprocal upgrades or elite status mapping.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by saranyc
I assume that you'll be able to book awards on those airlines using US Airway miles? That would be great.
That would be great, but I highly doubt we'll be able to book awards on *A partners if AA is not in *A (unless Kirby has a trick up his sleeve).
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...st-airline.ece

Jan. 7 will be “our first big day” for customers, Kirby said. On that day, each airline will recognize the other’s elite frequent fliers. In addition, a passenger on one airline will be able to earn frequent-flier miles on the other airline if they choose.

“You can earn and burn [miles] on each other’s metal,” he said. “If you’re an American flier flying on US Airways, you can get your credit counted toward your American miles, etc.”

To gain the $1 billion in merger synergies that Parker and Kirby have promised, the airlines need to begin linking their networks as soon as possible. The first step comes in mid-January.

That’s when American and US Airways will begin putting their AA and US codes and flight numbers on each other’s flights, a practice known as code-sharing. American, for example, would be able to sell a US Airways flight from Philadelphia to Rome as an American flight.

Kirby said the airlines will begin selling tickets with code-sharing in mid-January for flights beginning in early February.

“If that goes well, by the beginning of March we’ll have the whole systems combined so the American code will be on all the US Airways flights,” he said.

The next major step will come at the end of the first quarter, when US Airways switches global airline alliances. The plan is for it to leave the Star Alliance on March 31 and join Oneworld, the alliance led by American Airlines and British Airways.

“From there, the milestones: Getting into a single frequent flier program is late 2014, early 2015. Getting to a single operating certificate is probably the second half of 2015. At that point, we’re a single airline,” Kirby said.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Interesting that he mentions earning miles across both airlines with reciprocal lounge access, but NO MENTION of reciprocal upgrades or elite status mapping.
From the FAQ section of http://www.usairways.com/en-US/about...wamerican.html :

2. How will complimentary upgrades be affected?
Upgrades will remain the same for Preferred members when flying US Airways. Preferred members will not be eligible for upgrades on American operated flights at this time.

3. Will automatic upgrades continue?
Yes. Automatic upgrades will continue as usual and there is no change for Preferred members when flying US Airways. Upgrades are not available on American operated flights at this time. We’re working toward an integrated upgrade policy between the two carriers and will keep you updated when such benefits are available.
I would imagine/hope it works in reverse too...
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
"Currently, we won’t match elite status levels between the two programs. Beginning in early January 2014, Dividend Miles Preferred members will receive select benefits when traveling on American and vice versa. Decisions about elite status under a combined program have yet to be made, but we’ll keep you updated and will provide plenty of notice for any decisions that impact our members."

So much for buying up to CP to also get EXP benefits...for now. Well, I suppose that helps US travelers in not having AA EXP flood our small F cabins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.