Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by 360guy
I can not find any post, if the AA/US merger will honor the US Airways Club Lifetime membership.
AA did not honor the TWA Lifetime memberships.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I think some of these merger details have been in interviews before, some may be news. From today's Dallas Morning News (h/t to superweak in the AA forum for the link):

- Recognition of elite status across US/AA begins January 7
- Reciprocal earn and burn begins January 7
- Codeshare sales start mid-January for flights in February. Full codesharing by March
- Single FF program late 2014 or early 2015
- Single operating certification second half of 2015

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...st-airline.ece

Last edited by ty97; Dec 8, 2013 at 10:36 am Reason: added link
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: Continental Airlines
I can not find any post, if the AA/US merger will honor the US Airways Club Lifetime membership.
Doug Parker, USair is the new CEO, I suspect everything will be honored. I went through the Continenal/United merger and they have taken care of the top level elite's very well.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: Continental Airlines
Originally Posted by Fanjet
You will be Star Gold until the end of February. Beginning in April, you will be OneWorld Sapphire.
I'm star gold through United, flying mainly Usair (with UA number, lifetime gold status) I'm looking for a pull through campaign that moves us to OneWorld, Sapphire.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: None
I wouldn't count on a UA FF with *Gold automatically getting OW anything, only US FFs. It would be US status determining the AA status, not * status. There could be a status match program offered but since neither AA nor US currently offer one I wouldn't count on that either.

Jim
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

Out of curiosity, when will we no longer be able to book *A awards through US? Will existing F awards be able to switch into OW F? I'm thinking of an oceanic award, and QF F sounds nice.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:44 am

There's a thread just getting going about someone not being able to book *A J awards in October. Whether in indication of the transition date or a website glitch no one knows for sure.

There will absolutely be a date that you'll be unable to book *A awards beyond, but nobody knows what that date will be.

The safest course of action would be to wait for an official announcement with specifics. If you must book now, just hope that you can and at worst the award will be valid (with possible different routing) on OW if not *A. Pray such an award isn't cancelled on *A and you have to rebook on OW.

Jim
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by pewpew
Out of curiosity, when will we no longer be able to book *A awards through US? Will existing F awards be able to switch into OW F? I'm thinking of an oceanic award, and QF F sounds nice.
Full details are not out yet, but US is expected to leave *A in March and it is a pretty safe assumption that you will not have access to *A awards after that time. However, I'm sure previously ticketed awards will be honored.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by sdix
AA purchased (cherry picked) some parts of TWA, they did not purchase or merge with the entire company outright.

Since this is a merger it's a different situation.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by sdix
I was lifetime TWA Ambassador Club and got a 3 year Aadvantage Club only during that merger. TWA was really left in the dust with that one!
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
US Airways Club Lifetime Membership

Originally Posted by nutripro
Doug Parker, USair is the new CEO, I suspect everything will be honored. I went through the Continenal/United merger and they have taken care of the top level elite's very well.
Yes, Doug, is a "Class Act" and he did honor my American West Lifetime membership when he merged with US Airways.:
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A coworker is about 3000 miles short on DM for Chairman. He did fly on AA in 2013. Any possibility that the EQMs will be combined for 2014 status? It does not look like the programs will combine the 2015 year....

Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:26 pm

Personally I'd doubt that miles would be combined for 2014 status since that status is determined by the end of Feb. At some point the miles will be combined and the combined status level would be based on the combined miles I'd think, but whether that happens some time in 2014 or 2015 is anyone's guess at this point. For the US/HP merger I think it took over a year to actually combine the FF programs but maybe AA's IT department can do better. One has to just remember that while US &
AA will be marketed as a single carrier, they will operate separately for 15-24 months according to the last estimate I saw.

Jim
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:32 pm

I've seen early January as the date for that - Jan 7 I think. For trips this month I wouldn't hold out much hope. If you aren't a member of AAdvantage I'd sign up so you could credit miles on AA somewhere in the interim.

Jim
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've also seen January 7th published numerous times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.