Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:28 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan
I am only SP - by reciprocal benefits... do they mean:

1) Will I still get priority seating, check-in, security, and first bag free when flying AA?

2) Would I have a shot at an UG? I am not going on a high-volume, elite-heavy route, so my chances even as US SP would be good if it was a US flight.
They say "reciprocal benefits" but haven't defined what that will mean specifically. My bet is that it'll include reciprocal earning RDMs and PQMs at a minimum and anything else will be gravy.

For upgrades, US SP translates to AA Gold. Even if reciprocal upgrades are a benefit, you can pretty much forget about seeing the front of the bus at that level on AA.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Reciprocal benefits would mean that you would qualify for elite benefits similar to what you get on US.

Not sure how u/gs would work as we require everybody below EXP to purchase 500 mile stickers. Does US give comp UDU to everybody?
Ideally it would work initially by allowing AA elites free upgrades on US and US elites to buy stickers on AA. But there is a lot of IT involved that might make it difficult to simply implement at the flick of a switch.

Here's hoping the AA sticker system stays. I can't imagine the merged carrier giving up all that revenue.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by jdvoigt
So I have an international itinerary leaving January 4th on Air Canada to CPH, and I return on January 18 on Austrian into IAD. Will I still accrue US miles, or should I switch mileage credit to my UAL FF#?
If you definitely want miles usable on *A carriers, crediting to UA is the safest bet. However, since US apparently is still going to be in *A through February you should be able to get US miles although no guarantees at this point.

Jim
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:14 pm

wrong section

wrong section
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
I got in on the UA YQ dump tickets to Milan...problem is traveling late March. Hoping I can still credit to US and have the EQM count for the US/AA entity.

Originally Posted by jdvoigt
So I have an international itinerary leaving January 4th on Air Canada to CPH, and I return on January 18 on Austrian into IAD. Will I still accrue US miles, or should I switch mileage credit to my UAL FF#?
if you're flying in Y be careful and check the fare class; a lot of cheap AC fares credit 50% on US.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Answered upthread.
Yes, while some answers had been posted already, it would have been nice to hear more about the best redemptions on US. I can't believe I've read all 2,421 posts in this thread, having followed it regularly since February 14th! If only I were being paid for it

As an AA flyer, I'm quite happy with the award chart, and in particular the fact that all awards are one-way. Will be staying tuned to see what changes await.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
As an AA flyer, I'm quite happy with the award chart, and in particular the fact that all awards are one-way. Will be staying tuned to see what changes await.
You're happy paying YQ on awards (and pretty much making the 20K AA offpeak coach award to Europe completely useless if all you have access to is BA metal)?

I'm not saying there aren't good points to the AA award chart, but that sticks out like a sore thumb, and given how stingy AA has gotten with Europe own-metal awards, and US's track record (even more stingy), I'm not convinced it will be an unmitigated blessing to lose the US award chart.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You're happy paying YQ on awards (and pretty much making the 20K AA offpeak coach award to Europe completely useless if all you have access to is BA metal)?
But US doesn't offer 20k off peak to Europe at all, so at the end of the day having the option - even if limited - would be a win.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've redeemed millions of miles for award tickets and upgrades since 1981 and I've never taken advantage of the cheap off-peak economy tickets. I play the miles game so I can sit up front on long-hauls.

But everyone's mileage varies.

I'm not saying there aren't good points to the AA award chart, but that sticks out like a sore thumb, and given how stingy AA has gotten with Europe own-metal awards, and US's track record (even more stingy), I'm not convinced it will be an unmitigated blessing to lose the US award chart.
I've heard that there are other good points about the US award chart, as some markets are 10k or 20k miles cheaper (premium classes) than on AA.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by psychoandy
I got in on the UA YQ dump tickets to Milan...problem is traveling late March. Hoping I can still credit to US and have the EQM count for the US/AA entity.

if you're flying in Y be careful and check the fare class; a lot of cheap AC fares credit 50% on US.
It might be worse in some cases if part of the segments are already use (in my case, a 1x.)
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I've heard that there are other good points about the US award chart, as some markets are 10k or 20k miles cheaper (premium classes) than on AA.
The North Asia and South Pacific awards in J/F are quite a good deal on US miles at 90/120 and 110/140 respectively (especially with all the *A availability and multiple ways to route to Asia/Australia). Award seats on AA/CX/JL/QF/MH will probably be stretched thin post-merger if there are a lot of people with remaining USDM. Is QF even realistically attainable as an award in J?

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
But US doesn't offer 20k off peak to Europe at all, so at the end of the day having the option - even if limited - would be a win.
Doesn't US still have off peak 35k RT coach tickets to Europe? Not as flexible as having 20k one way, and shorter "off peak" period, but still useful for traditional award flight.

And it wasn't that long ago where US had 60k RT offpeak J tickets to Europe...
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Doesn't US still have off peak 35k RT coach tickets to Europe? Not as flexible as having 20k one way, and shorter "off peak" period, but still useful for traditional award flight.
They do, and quite a bit of remaining availability on them too in some markets such as CDG in Jan/Feb.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:35 pm

And it wasn't that long ago where US had 60k RT offpeak J tickets to Europe...
I thought both of those went away a while back... but if there's a 35k to Europe, I might actually do that for a shorter crossing like Ireland.

AA also used to have 7,500 mile shorthaul non stop awards, but those are gone now as well.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I'm happy with the AA award chart.* Although I don't normally redeem for Y travel myself, I usually have no problems redeeming the 20k awards for others. In my experience, they are not difficult to get and are great value. And at my home airport, I have access to a lot of AA and BA flights. Being an AA flyer in OW is perfect for my travel patterns and having a good award chart is an excellent bonus.

Of course, different airlines, alliances and award charts suit people differently. I'm sure there are others who have travel patterns better suited to other airlines, alliances or travel patterns. I encourage them to switch their loyalty as they wish.

* Caveat: I'm not happy with copays on upgrade awards.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I'm happy with the AA award chart.* Although I don't normally redeem for Y travel myself, I usually have no problems redeeming the 20k awards for others. In my experience, they are not difficult to get and are great value. And at my home airport, I have access to a lot of AA and BA flights. Being an AA flyer in OW is perfect for my travel patterns and having a good award chart is an excellent bonus.

Of course, different airlines, alliances and award charts suit people differently. I'm sure there are others who have travel patterns better suited to other airlines, alliances or travel patterns. I encourage them to switch their loyalty as they wish.

* Caveat: I'm not happy with copays on upgrade awards.
The thing is... the US award chart is equally as excellent at a lot of things. As mentioned.

Since you're into reading long threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ad-merged.html

Originally Posted by djrez4
DEN-NRT-PEK-ICN-IST-FRA-YYZ-DEN booked for 90k.

Priced at 100k first, so I had to remind the agent that our destination, Beijing, was in North Asia. Then it dropped to 90k. I have confirmation numbers for each flight except ICN-IST, but I'll be calling around to each airline to double check and maybe get a seat assignment.

EDIT - seats assigned except on TK for IST-FRA. They see the reservation, but won't let me get seats until March.
Just this month, I booked SEA-TYO(stop)-HKG(destination)-SEA for 90,000 US miles +$150 in taxes and fees. That same award on AA? 115,000 (as a OW explorer J award).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 25, 2013 at 1:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.