Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Last time I flew on AC (maybe less than 2 years ago), it was originating out of DCA. And we departed out of the old terminal rotunda. Is AC no longer flying out of DCA (where US/AA have to give up slots and perhaps gates)?
AC still serves DCA, but AFAIK, they don't have any US domestic flights. The idea behind giving up slots was to let ( domestic ) LCCs to move in and to keep ( domestic ) fares competitive ( aka low ). It's just difficult for me to understand how giving DCA slots to AC would accomplish this task.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by burlax
AC still serves DCA, but AFAIK, they don't have any US domestic flights. The idea behind giving up slots was to let ( domestic ) LCCs to move in and to keep ( domestic ) fares competitive ( aka low ). It's just difficult for me to understand how giving DCA slots to AC would accomplish this task.
Which is not what the conversation was about. It was about whether or not US/AA would have to give up any gates at DCA. It is pretty clear that B6 and WN will get a good chunk of the slot pairs. They both share the old terminal concourse with AC. Something's going to have to give to accomodate that. So AC moving over to the larger terminal, as opposed to B6 or WN relocating there, was floated as a possibilty.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: None
You are, of course, correct. I took the post/discussion more as "would AC move allows more gates near where LCC's currently have gates so that US wouldn't have to give up gates. Y'all keep up with such things as where carriers park and where available gates are more than myself, but it sounded as though available gates were a little scattered around at DCA.

As something of an aside in discussions about DCA, they mostly are just about total slots given up. Lost seems to be the requirement that the "commuter" gates must be used to provide service to smaller cities. Since US has a significant number of these slots, a larger portion of flights to/from DCA may have to be devoted to these smaller cities -which US promised when it was trying to keep all the US/AA slots.

Jim
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by Fanjet
. . . B6 and WN [ . . . ] both share the old terminal concourse with AC. Something's going to have to give to accomodate that. So AC moving over to the larger terminal, as opposed to B6 or WN relocating there, was floated as a possibilty.
Thank you for explaining.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...rades/3654575/

Can't say I'm particularly worried about this.
So it'll be similar to US's existing policy.

At least they won't pull a UA and sell it out from under an elite.

It also doesn't say it isn't subject to change when Dougie takes over either.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
It would seem that there'll have to be a grace period for those already having tickets (award or paid) to accrue US miles for their flights, although until US/AA puts something out nothing is guaranteed. I'd be tempted to credit the miles to whichever carrier you'd rather accrue them with, keeping in mind that you put off doing anything until the day of your trip so can wait a while to see what news comes out.

Jim
I wanted to follow up on this observation. Has there been any indications about a possible grace period with respect to US-AA? If not, have there been simlar grace periods in the past and if so, how did those work? I am thinking about buying AC tickets for June, but have been holding off and won't if I can't earn US miles.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PhillyFreedom
I am thinking about buying AC tickets for June, but have been holding off and won't if I can't earn US miles.
I think that's highly unlikely. I would definitely not bet on it.

I don't know of a situation in which passengers were able to credit flight miles to a program once that program has officially left the alliance.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: None
Good point. Miles distribution seems to be the sticky wicket in the transfer from *A to OW since the consensus seems to be that once booked the flights themselves are taken care of. Just from posts her that would seem to be a mistake, but it's hard to judge since the vast majority of award tickets don't get mentioned here as they are people flying on the carrier who they earned the miles on (US for this forum).

I think the advice to not book a *A ticket for after US becomes OW is good unless one can have the miles deposited with another *A carrier - UA for example.

Jim
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I think that's highly unlikely. I would definitely not bet on it.

I don't know of a situation in which passengers were able to credit flight miles to a program once that program has officially left the alliance.
That's what I assumed. But if so, I am not sure what the mention up-thread of a "grace period for those already having tickets ... to accrue US miles " would be referring to.

A good reference point might be TAM's shift from *A to OW. I assume that someone who has already booked a ticket on TAM but will not fly until after 3/31/2014 cannot book the miles to a *A carrier. Whatever is true for the TAM shift will also probably hold true for the US shift. Does anyone know for sure what the deal is re TAM?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Is there any word yet on what a US Gold Preferred member can expect to become on the new AA? Would basic privileges associated with this level still be delivered in the new program- things such as free checked bags, preferred seating, priority boarding, upgrades etc.?

Just curious, as I am an AC 75K (platinum level) *G, and am considering doing the US Preferred Gold trial to get status on US and eventually OneWorld. If I go for gold level I'll easily be able to fly the 15,000 miles in 90 days so that won't be an issue. If, however, the benefits once American/OW takes effect will be drastically reduced (I'm thinking reduced to at or below what is currently *Silver on US), then I wouldn't be so interested in doing this. Any ideas? I'm just very unfamiliar with OneWorld elite status and what their comparable levels deliver compared to Star.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACA321
Is there any word yet on what a US Gold Preferred member can expect to become on the new AA? Would basic privileges associated with this level still be delivered in the new program- things such as free checked bags, preferred seating, priority boarding, upgrades etc.?
There is no definitive word yet.

AA has three levels: Gold (25k/30 segments) that doesn't confer many benefits. 25k miles or points is fairly easy to obtain and doesn't require "frequent" flying. 25% bonus miles for Golds.

Platinum is the mid-tier at 50k/60 segments. Plat gives lounge access when flying internationally on any fare in any cabin and gives 100% bonus miles. Plats can actually expect to get domestic upgrades.

Executive Platinum is top-tier at 100k/100 segments. EXPs get unlimited domestic upgrades (including all 50 states, Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Plus 8 systemwide one-way upgrades good on any published fare. 100% mileage bonus and a dedicated phone desk that provides unparalleled service to EXPs.

Don't know if new AA will go with the US elite system or AA's system. As the much bigger, higher-yielding airline with lots more elites, moving the US elites to the AA system should be less disruptive, but who know what Parker and Kirby have up their sleeves for us. When Parker last worked for AA, Gold was the only elite status, as Plat and EXP hadn't yet been developed.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by FWAAA
There is no definitive word yet.

AA has three levels: Gold (25k/30 segments) that doesn't confer many benefits. 25k miles or points is fairly easy to obtain and doesn't require "frequent" flying. 25% bonus miles for Golds.

Platinum is the mid-tier at 50k/60 segments. Plat gives lounge access when flying internationally on any fare in any cabin and gives 100% bonus miles. Plats can actually expect to get domestic upgrades.

Executive Platinum is top-tier at 100k/100 segments. EXPs get unlimited domestic upgrades (including all 50 states, Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Plus 8 systemwide one-way upgrades good on any published fare. 100% mileage bonus and a dedicated phone desk that provides unparalleled service to EXPs.

Don't know if new AA will go with the US elite system or AA's system. As the much bigger, higher-yielding airline with lots more elites, moving the US elites to the AA system should be less disruptive, but who know what Parker and Kirby have up their sleeves for us. When Parker last worked for AA, Gold was the only elite status, as Plat and EXP hadn't yet been developed.
My guess, and it is only a guess, but based on "the market" (i.e. DL, UA and the current US), the new AA will do away with the three tier approach and go to the four tier approach. YMMV of course.

Safe Travels
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for the info. While no official details have been made known, I do think it would be safe to assume however that SOME form of elite status would be retained on the new AA. I'll be needing to fly US a lot domestically next year so I think it would make sense for me to give it a shot if for nothing other than a free checked bag, priority boarding and seating.

I'd just hate to invest in the status challenge and associated flights only to find out that relatively soon in the year the benefits would be slashed or completely worthless. Doubt that would happen, but given what UA has recently done, nothing is out of the equation in the overall race to the bottom....
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ACA321
Thanks for the info. While no official details have been made known, I do think it would be safe to assume however that SOME form of elite status would be retained on the new AA. I'll be needing to fly US a lot domestically next year so I think it would make sense for me to give it a shot if for nothing other than a free checked bag, priority boarding and seating.

I'd just hate to invest in the status challenge and associated flights only to find out that relatively soon in the year the benefits would be slashed or completely worthless. Doubt that would happen, but given what UA has recently done, nothing is out of the equation in the overall race to the bottom....
Unfortunately, that's a risk these days with the current market conditions.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PhillyFreedom
. . . I am not sure what the mention up-thread of a "grace period for those already having tickets ... to accrue US miles " would be referring to.
Wishful thinking?

I don't know either, given that I'm unaware of any precedent for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.