Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
So, here's the thing. I don't doubt that if I were flying to Asia and Australia and Europe all the time, that stuff would be nice.

But I don't do that. Practically all of my flying is domestic or to Canada -- I'll likely hit Europe twice in 2014, and that's it. Mostly, I care about:
  • Ability to consistently hit domestic upgrades. Telling me that I'm stuck with limited upgrade ability at anything except the highest tier is a non-starter. US is giving me an over-90% upgrade rate on my domestic segments, and unless I always hit EXP AA would not be able to match that.
  • For the times when I do fly outside North America, ability to easily redeem miles for travel. And US' award chart is pretty undeniably one of the best in the industry.

And I strongly suspect that I am not the outlier here; people who have the vast majority of their travel on domestic-only or US-Canada routes are probably the majority of US-based frequent flyers. And for that type of traveler, US' program is simply better than AA's.
Or anyone whose travel is concentrated out of the northeast, or especially within it. AA could have the best program in the world, but it's useless to me with how much I fly to Philly and the DC area, or to Canada. Most of my miles come from Phoenix and San Diego runs (and US flies to PHX from BOS).

As a bottom tier, I'm talking 25k level, I'm at probably a 75% upgrade rate on segments. The longer ones, I confirm with miles, since an SP isn't getting that seat at T-2.

AA's program is better if you can hit EXP or go to Asia a lot, but otherwise it's hard to beat US in the Northeast even with the occasional TATL. There are other bright spots like the RDM bonuses. I just hope the blended program is decent.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tom911

Can you give me 2-3 examples of the best US awards? I'm curious what they charge compared to AA for a similar award. AA's best Europe/South America award, for example, is 40K RT in coach. The season to Europe from North America runs six full months. Another is their 10K one way awards on Qantas within Australia or between Australia and New Zealand.

Originally Posted by moondog
Business class US to Asia for 90k RT (v. 110k on AA and A LOT more on UA/DL).
Actually, that's 90k to North Asia for US (includes HKG, also includes Atlantic routings).

Also, US allows Pacific routing to India (120k in C for US, 135k for AA, Atlantic routing only on AA, so unless you find QR/EY space, be prepared for BA fuel scamcharges). India is in the South Asia zone for US (which means you can do a trip, DEL-BKK-HKG-SIN-BOM on TG/SQ, for 30k in C, 40k in F for US).

US still allows stopovers in US destinations and OAL hubs on round-trip itineraries, and because they allow Atlantic and Pacific routing on the same award as well as a stopover in Europe on transit, you can do "mini"-RTWs; this is a legal itinerary I've done multiple times in F and C: SEA-HKG(dest)-FRA(stop)-SEA (leaving out the connecting segments). Oh, and I can route through BKK on that itinerary (higher priced region) without US blinking an eye (which helps since TG award space is easier to come by than others).

There's also no "published through-fare" nonsense on US awards.

Oh, and if you start a South Asia award in the Caribbean instead of the United States, it's 90k in C, 120k in F. US does not make anyone burn two awards (all locations in their chart have a single award level).

People have routed SPN-ICN-SYD-ICN-SPN for 30K in C (intra-South Pacific award).

So, other than that...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 21, 2013 at 8:24 am
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Actually, that's 90k to North Asia for US (includes HKG, also includes Atlantic routings).

Also, US allows Pacific routing to India (120k in C for US, 135k for AA, Atlantic routing only on AA, so unless you find QR/EY space, be prepared for BA fuel scamcharges). India is in the South Asia zone for US (which means you can do a trip, DEL-BKK-HKG-SIN-BOM on TG/SQ, for 30k in C, 40k in F for US).

US still allows stopovers in US destinations and OAL hubs on round-trip itineraries, and because they allow Atlantic and Pacific routing on the same award as well as a stopover in Europe on transit, you can do "mini"-RTWs; this is a legal itinerary I've done multiple times in F and C: SEA-HKG(dest)-FRA(stop)-SEA (leaving out the connecting segments). Oh, and I can route through BKK on that itinerary (higher priced region) without US blinking an eye (which helps since TG award space is easier to come by than others).

There's also no "published through-fare" nonsense on US awards.

Oh, and if you start a South Asia award in the Caribbean instead of the United States, it's 90k in C, 120k in F. US does not make anyone burn two awards (all locations in their chart have a single award level).

People have routed SPN-ICN-SYD-ICN-SPN for 30K in C (intra-South Pacific award).

So, other than that...
+1. I am US CP and have been AA EXP. AA EXP gets pretty good royal treatment for sure, but to say that AAdvantage as currently instituted is so much better than Dividend Miles is just not accurate IMHO.

Safe Travels
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:54 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Too much travel
Being HKG-based, I'm probably a bit blase about the F lounges here. No, hands down it's the Qantas F lounge in the Sydney international terminal that is the best.
Note to self: Book flight to SYD. See you there!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by GTITAN
+1. I am US CP and have been AA EXP. AA EXP gets pretty good royal treatment for sure, but to say that AAdvantage as currently instituted is so much better than Dividend Miles is just not accurate IMHO.

Safe Travels
If comparing top tier to top tier, I can see the argument that AA is better. But I do think AA is better by virtue of comparing against what the lower tiers don't get. Given what USDM does at SP/GP/PP, it's incrementally less generous at the CP level but still pretty solid even compared to AA EXP.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
If comparing top tier to top tier, I can see the argument that AA is better. But I do think AA is better by virtue of comparing against what the lower tiers don't get. Given what USDM does at SP/GP/PP, it's incrementally less generous at the CP level but still pretty solid even compared to AA EXP.
Agree with you that AA EXP is generally better than US CP and alot which has to do not so much with "published benefits" (i.e. lounge access, etc), but rather that the (current) culture of AA tends to value its elites and certainly its top tier elites more. AA PLT and GLD which I have been really don't vary that much in level of treatment from the other legacies mid-tier levels. I was a NW PE at the time of the NW-DL merger and was a CO PE and UA1K at the time of integration, of one thing, I am sure that we can be certain based on my experiences with them. How DM and/or AAdvantage look today will not be how they look within 15 months or so from now, both for the better and the worse I reckon.

Safe Travels
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Trashing it's FFs? Please. Stop being so over sensitive. I have never trashed them. I'm absolutely trashing its management. If you were used to flying a premium-oriented airline and it suddenly merged with a low fare carrier, you'd be upset too. I'll stick with AA for now because I'm confident it will take steps to up US' game, like sending current FAs through a training course and introducing meals on US F in the coming months. If it doesn't, yes, I'll leave.
Whatever. No US airline is a "premium oriented carrier" - especially compared to other foreign airlines in their respective alliances.

That's like saying UA's a premium oriented carrier because they're big and have 3 cabin configs.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Ability to consistently hit domestic upgrades. Telling me that I'm stuck with limited upgrade ability at anything except the highest tier is a non-starter. US is giving me an over-90% upgrade rate on my domestic segments, and unless I always hit EXP AA would not be able to match that.
I'm PLAT. I'm at around 80% for upgrades over the past six years.

The trade off - actual service in first class - is worth it, IMO.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GTITAN
Agree with you that AA EXP is generally better than US CP and alot which has to do not so much with "published benefits" (i.e. lounge access, etc), but rather that the (current) culture of AA tends to value its elites and certainly its top tier elites more. AA PLT and GLD which I have been really don't vary that much in level of treatment from the other legacies mid-tier levels. I was a NW PE at the time of the NW-DL merger and was a CO PE and UA1K at the time of integration, of one thing, I am sure that we can be certain based on my experiences with them. How DM and/or AAdvantage look today will not be how they look within 15 months or so from now, both for the better and the worse I reckon.

Safe Travels
The biggest advantage I see with AA EXP is the 8 SWUs that can be used on any flight. My international travel the last 2 years has been to Asia where US doesn't go. The CP certs have been useless to me as I can't use them domestically to guarantee upgrades.

The other benefit cited as being able to use international F lounges is "meh" to me. Granted, my experience is limited to UA and OZ, but I haven't really seen much difference between C and F lounges. UA's was a little nicer in SFO, but not really anything to write home about. In ICN, the only difference I noticed between the OZ F and C lounge is the F lounge was quieter. The food and liquor options weren't any different, and the furniture wasn't either. As long as the lounge gives me a place to sit, has power and WiFi, and has something to snack and drink, I'm good.

I'm not saying some airlines' lounges aren't better than others, just that I don't see a huge difference between C and F lounges other than the crowd.

As far as elite treatment goes, I've only been elite on UA and US. UA used to be pretty good before the merger. That went down the tubes once CO came into the picture. US on the other hand, has always made me feel valued and taken care of. If I send an email in and asked to be called, they actually call me within 24 hours (sometimes same day). I've never had to fight for compensation, and agents have bent over backwards to ensure I was taken care of.

US may be a bit stingy compared to some other carriers (to me, it's just who they are), but I've never felt under-valued.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm PLAT. I'm at around 80% for upgrades over the past six years.

The trade off - actual service in first class - is worth it, IMO.
If you define service as whether you get a meal or not, AA does better there.

But if you're talking about service in general, all US airlines are hit or missed. You can have great service on one flight, and crap on another. It all depends on the crew you get.

None of them have been consistent. So consider me skeptical of the claims of AA walking on water. Or should I be disappointed by them when they don't live up to the hype?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by Fanjet
BTW, do they have to relinquish any gates at DCA? I didn't see that.
The DOJ order is for slots, plus "rights and interest in other facilities at the airport necessary to support the use of the slots" like gates, ticket counters, etc. (Not that US has any shortage of ticketing space there -- there's the one in National Hall, the one by the Metro bridge, the one upstairs...)

That said, I don't know if there are many new entrants to DCA among the bidders. Would this end with, say, B6 moving to the middle pier?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Admiral's Club is already part of the lounge program, no reason that will go away.

The chances of Centurion Elite's getting EXP status is, IMO, zero. AAdvantage is a high end program with useful benefits. AA won't be giving it away like US. US could afford to give it away because it doesn't attract nearly as many high-earning clientele. Giving card members EXP would seriously devalue and dilute the program.

You can offer Centurion card holders AA EXP, and everybody will bite; but giveaway US Airways Chairman Preferred, and nobody cares. It's a pretty useless benefit.
Since your profile states you are not a US CP, your opinion on the US DM program and it's benefits in regard to CP's carries very little sway with me until you fly 100,000 miles or 120 segments on US and earn the right to make judgments on the program from your personal experience. I have been very happy with US Airways the last 10+ years as a CP and I hope to find the new program as good or better in the future. If it isn't then I'll move on to a program I think will be better for me.

It might surprise you to know that it was HP FF's (not US FF's) that were the most negatively effected by the HP/US merger the last go around. So if history is any indication of how current Management handles mergers, AA Elites should be less worried than US Elites about things getting screwed up in the transition. Hope that makes you feel a little better
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by coswellnc
Since your profile states you are not a US CP, your opinion on the US DM program and it's benefits in regard to CP's carries very little sway with me until you fly 100,000 miles or 120 segments on US and earn the right to make judgments on the program from your personal experience.
Why would anyone do that when all you have to do to pick up CP is pay $200 and fly 30k miles in 90 days? That's two months of normal flying for me and many other EXPs, I know a fair number of AA and DL elites who pick up and drop US CP for individual work projects or other temporary reasons. ...and that assumes you're not being given CP for free with a credit card or as a job perk as the prior poster was discussing...
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
I just reached platinum status this week.. any guess how this will translate after merger since there is no tier equivalent on American.?? also how does the first class upgrade work on US and which program for upgrades will be adapted?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Speaking as a 25K level elite on both airlines, there are very few facets where the US program seems superior. And two of these we know will be going away (Star, and Barclays). Unlimited free domestic upgrades are nice, but consensus is that these would be difficult to get, post-merger, and maybe the e500 system would be better for us bottom tier folks.

Other than that, it all tilts in favor of AA. Fewer fees, more fee waivers at my level, more flexible same day changes, one way awards, better domestic low level award availability...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.