Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
since I primarily fly DL and NK (out of DTW), part of me is slightly happy that my relatively small US mile balance will join my AA balance and the routes available on OW will increase for me for my avios and AA/US pts.

Is this naive?
Hopefully not, but both AA and US have vastly superior redemption charts --for now-- than DL and UA (as of 2/2014). In a 3 man race, logic suggests that the new AA will seize the opportunity to raise redemption rates. I would much rather have a small US balance and a large AA balance (or vice versa) locked in at the current levels than a combined account that features sky high prices.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
No, it's not. Every legal analysis of which I am aware says US/AA has a very steep hill to climb.
Well, my last US Airways flight is on Friday. Guess it will be my last visit to a US Airways Club as well. Maybe I should drink something nicer in there.

So long guys, it's been good to know ya - Not looking forward to having to go 100% United...
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:03 am

The cynic in me says the DOJ was only concerned about DCA.

The reductions at LGA just means paring down the slot holding flights to PHL, and a couple shuttle flights at off hours, none of which really amount to anything. Probably did the new airline a favor in that regard as prices on the remaining flights will go up.

OTOH, screw the consumer, so long as the politicians get better flights for themselves. The gate reductions elsewhere amount to "we got something out of them", nothing more.

Typical Washington enlightened self-interest.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
At the DOJ press conference today, Bill Baer said

There is no way in my opinion to draw a straight line from these concerns directly to the points mentioned by Baer later in the press conf. but he referred to the settlement as a “game changer” and said that it “opens up the marketplace as never before.”
+1

(I sat thru the press conferences today so I heard this all first hand…)
Sounds to me you guys were sitting up to your necks in BS.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:20 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Seriously???

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Of course, it's not the merger that was initially proposed...that merger was scrapped by the agreement with the DoJ...

Jim
Not sure which merger YOU are referring to BB...but the one I am referring to is the merger between US Airways & American. And THAT one is now a "done deal" sir!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Discussion of US / AA post-integration miles, awards, and preferred status thread

Sounds like January 7 will be the big day...
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:22 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Bye Bye...

Originally Posted by gglave
Well, my last US Airways flight is on Friday. Guess it will be my last visit to a US Airways Club as well. Maybe I should drink something nicer in there.

So long guys, it's been good to know ya - Not looking forward to having to go 100% United...
Hope you really ENJOY your UA experiance (-:
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Hey, be nice...they're not going voluntarily! I will certainly miss having AC as an option, too.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:44 am

Whoever said it'll be a drawdown match between PHL and JFK, I think I disagree there - both will probably remain major hubs. Some int'l feed will probably shift to JFK, but both are major O&D markets, and more importantly, both are pretty much at capacity with respect to airspace/ATC. New AA can't simply decide to shift 25% of its hub operations from PHL to JFK (or vice-versa) without causing major airspace problems. Rather, I think you'll see some of the international flights during prime hours move to JFK, with some of the off peak leisure timeslots heading to PHL.

Now, CLT vs MIA, I can see that being something - but if anything MIA probably shrinks. It just doesn't make sense to connect through MIA for most domestic flights when CLT is much closer. I've been pretty loyal, but there's no chance in hell I'm flying PWM/BOS-MIA-CHA for business, for example. Right now I can connect through CLT and DCA and I'm not looking to add another 2 hours to that route.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
since I primarily fly DL and NK (out of DTW), part of me is slightly happy that my relatively small US mile balance will join my AA balance and the routes available on OW will increase for me for my avios and AA/US pts.

Is this naive?
Do you really primarily fly NK, or did you mean only DL primarily? If the former, I just have so many questions.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:51 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Superguy
Sure you can. Just refrain from putting your MP in until after check-in. Then you can get a TOD and bypass every other elite waiting in line. THEN add your MP number in.
They fixed that glitch... now they'll sell TODs to elites who are on the waitlist at check-in. Monetization, baby.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
I don't think AC fliers have any choice but to say goodbye to US. If their primary routes are within Canada, they're not going to follow US to OW.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
They fixed that glitch... now they'll sell TODs to elites who are on the waitlist at check-in. Monetization, baby.
I never got offered a TOD! I've flown 3 segments on UA this year

Actually, my upgrade rate as a US Silver on UA is 33%. I was flying BOS-EWR-DCA (had time, was cheap). The inbound for my first segment was late, so I walked over one gate - flight also headed to EWR - and asked if they'd switch me. I guess I was nice because the GA put me in F for that 45 minute flight, when the guy in front of me who did the same thing got a coach seat.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
I don't think AC fliers have any choice but to say goodbye to US. If their primary routes are within Canada, they're not going to follow US to OW.
Depending on where in Canada they travel to, I could definitely see a Canadian (or a frequent Canada traveler) using AA/WS:

WestJet dollars® are awarded on American Airlines® marketed and operated flights (including American Eagle® and AmericanConnection® flights) based on distance flown, plus class of service bonus, when applicable.
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/rewa...airlines.shtml
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:02 am

The real hit to AC flyers is losing US as a partner - one of two where AC didn't charge TATL YQ on awards. Now you need to look for UA partner space, otherwise you're going to Europe on AC, LH, LX and basically paying a coach ticket in fees.

I bet where possible, folks who can pick WS will at least entertain the idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.