Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 8, 13, 9:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 15, 13, 6:53 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by agp423 View Post
I still have a bunch of US miles and want to use it on United this summer for EWR-PEK/PVG. Does US/AA merger mean that my US miles can no longer be used on Star Alliance? Does the US-Star Alliance allegiance end immediately, or do you think it will take some time?
General consensus dictates that you have 6 months with star, so you will be safe to book flights for a trip this summer if you can find availability.
Old Feb 15, 13, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Silver, Fantasy Football Champ
2 questions:

1. I do not currently have status with any airline, but I was attempting to get status with USairways this year as I have 10 segments currently and will be on pace for 30+ by end of year. Will this merger effect me getting status for this year? I have trips in Sept-Dec that will get me to the 30+ segments.

2. Am I better off changing which airline I go with now to someone like Delta or United or should I stay with US/AA? I fly out of PIT and mainly want status for free checked bags and an opportunity to get upgraded.

Thank you.
Old Feb 15, 13, 9:51 am

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by rocket2247 View Post
2 questions:

1. I do not currently have status with any airline, but I was attempting to get status with USairways this year as I have 10 segments currently and will be on pace for 30+ by end of year. Will this merger effect me getting status for this year? I have trips in Sept-Dec that will get me to the 30+ segments.

2. Am I better off changing which airline I go with now to someone like Delta or United or should I stay with US/AA? I fly out of PIT and mainly want status for free checked bags and an opportunity to get upgraded.

Thank you.
1. The US and AA FF programs will continue to run independently and as-is for some time, with the merger deal not expected to close until 3Q and integration of the airlines and their programs happening sometime after that (exactly when is TBD). Therefore, this merger will have no impact on your quest to gain US status this year.

2. That depends on your priorities, flying habits, airline preferences, etc. If you gain and maintain status on US, that status will transfer into the new AA at some point when the FF programs merge (date TBD, but probably no earlier than sometime in 2014), though the eventual changes to that combined program are unknown at this time.
Old Feb 15, 13, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch View Post
Really?!?! Take your dribble and post it elsewhere.
I think you mean drivel.

I'm not confident that AA trimmed its costs enough in Ch 11 and when added to the raises that US employees will get (to bring them up to AA's labor costs plus the raises that Parker is giving the AA employees (undoing some of the cost reductions just achieved in Ch 11), the synergies will have to be out of this world to pay those higher costs with the lower-revenue hubs that US brought to the table. But not to worry; if costs weren't trimmed enough and the costs are too high, there's always the possibility of another Ch 11 case down the road.
Old Feb 15, 13, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP (from US CP); SPG Plat; Cunard Plat
Wow, talking about costs ...Horton in line to get $20m severance package
Old Feb 15, 13, 10:50 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
Wow, talking about costs ...Horton in line to get $20m severance package
Yeah when I worked for the PBGC it was absolutely mind-boggling how many of these nice, fat payouts were being handed out whilst the pension-drawing employees were getting their benefits hacked. Not just UA as they pretty much all went through bankruptcy whilst I was there (except AA).

The army of government lawyers brought on to work the UA BK was pretty massive. 3 full floors of them. With that kind of payroll on the government side, you'd imagine UA's side had similar legal costs just for the questions over handling of the pensions. Why not just fire all the lawyers and pay your pensions?

I know it's not an apples-for-apples comparison but it truly is shocking how many people get fat off of mergers and bankruptcies, and how painfully the frontline workers get screwed. We had a few benefits reps at a UA employee meeting whilst that BK was going on, and a really angry close-to-retirement FA got into such a heated debate with one of the benefits reps, to the point that the FA had to be physically restrained. Really tweaks me to see anyone pull in a $20m severance package when a 30-year FA is so pissed about her withered-up benefits that she wants to throw punches.

But I guess that is a rant for another thread....
Old Feb 15, 13, 11:43 am

As this unfolds, I found a good tutorial for Doug and Tom to read

How to Integrate an Airline: Addressing the Challenges Faced by American Airlines and US Airways

When US Airways CEO Doug Parker and American Airlines CEO Tom Horton look back at the fruits of their labor in a year from now, they’ll both think that the yearlong courtship and somewhat acrimonious negotiations were the easy part. All they have to do is ask Jeff Smisek, United Airlines’ CEO, who just last month on the airline’s earnings call called 2012 “the toughest year of our merger integration” and said, “We are absolutely not satisfied with the financial results we produced last year.” United merged with Continental in 2010.

The two men and their teams face quite a challenge. The fruits of their labors will determine what passengers will experience before, during, and after a flight...
Old Feb 15, 13, 1:09 pm
In memoriam

Programs: United
Originally Posted by pb3623 View Post
The camps split between AA and US, DL and UA, etc. are just as passionate about their sides as Chevy vs Dodge or Apple vs Android.

I am, however, looking forward to a native iOS app with Passbook.
Having scanned all 200+ posts so far, I think #76 summarizes all we really know for sure at this point.
Old Feb 15, 13, 1:35 pm

Where there any emails other than the one from Parker in the OP?

(On the AA side, I got three emails.)
Old Feb 15, 13, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by DCann View Post
As this unfolds, I found a good tutorial for Doug and Tom to read

How to Integrate an Airline: Addressing the Challenges Faced by American Airlines and US Airways
Jeff should tell Tom and Doug what will happen when you piss off your elites and you have an arrogant "XX knows best" attitude. AA took advantage of a lot of disgruntled MP FFs and is trying to poach from DL too. It would be a shame if all that was wasted on gutting Advantage and pissing off their elites.

UA's been struggling hard on its financials when everyone else was posting a profit. You can only blame "integration" issues so long, and the 787 and network aren't the reasons to overlook UA's issues.
Old Feb 15, 13, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
So at some point (far in the future at some TBD date) we know the FF programs will be merged. Which makes me realize I don't remember what my US FF number is. Of course, any miles in it expired, but I flew US sporadically in the 90s and would have Program-To-Date Miles to merge into AAdvantage.

Is there any way to retrieve my FF number?
Old Feb 15, 13, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
So at some point (far in the future at some TBD date) we know the FF programs will be merged. Which makes me realize I don't remember what my US FF number is. Of course, any miles in it expired, but I flew US sporadically in the 90s and would have Program-To-Date Miles to merge into AAdvantage.

Is there any way to retrieve my FF number?
I had this late last year when I was booking a flight on BA and wanted to credit it to AA thinking there may be a merger (good idea now). I couldn' find my AA number and called up customer service and they retrieved it for me. I imagine you can do the same.

On a side note, when CO/UA merged it was done automatically.
Old Feb 15, 13, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA ExePlat
First post merger flight Tonight DCA-BOS. Celebrating () in club.
Old Feb 15, 13, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Will PHL-TLV continue post merger?

With AA's inability to fly to TLV because of something reportedly due to TWA will the flight be able to continue? Possibly is it that AA can't operate from NYC-TLV but could continue via PHL?
Old Feb 15, 13, 11:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Has anyone else seen the new commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68xF-j9h6us

Just saw it on local tv, youtube says it was posted yesterday. Looks like there's snippets from some of the US safety video.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: