Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 8, 13, 9:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 14, 13, 8:22 pm

Programs: USA CP, AA, UAL, BA, DLTA
One upside for those of us in PHX is the fact that British Airways flies non-stop to London. As part of OW, we will be able to use our USA miles eventually to fly BA.
Old Feb 14, 13, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by Paso Fino View Post
One upside for those of us in PHX is the fact that British Airways flies non-stop to London. As part of OW, we will be able to use our USA miles eventually to fly BA.
On BA there are some quite pricey YQ surcharges on award tickets. For my "F" tickets from LHR to YVR; they cost me 62,500 miles plus about $475 - one way.

I think it's worth it (BA has a a great F product including access to the Concorde lounge); but purists howl at paying $1K for an award ticket.
Old Feb 14, 13, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by renhelm View Post
I wonder how this merger affects Alaska Airlines relationship with American ...

US Airlines covers some of the same West Coast routes as Alaska Airlines, and USAir is their competition.

Both American and Delta code-share with Alaska

We are able to choose if I want to collect Miles on OW or ST with Alaska tickets
Being relocated to YVR (where there's pitiful coverage by AA and US); this one worries me a lot.

The AS/AA partnership is FANTASTIC for AA fliers. I hope they manage manage to make it continue to work.
Old Feb 14, 13, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by fishferbrains View Post
Being relocated to YVR (where there's pitiful coverage by AA and US); this one worries me a lot.

The AS/AA partnership is FANTASTIC for AA fliers. I hope they manage manage to make it continue to work.
I also hope they continue. The combined airline still won't be strong in the Pacific NW, and US doesn't bring much in the way of new route competition to AS, though AS did recently start PHL-SEA.
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by fishferbrains View Post
I think it's worth it (BA has a a great F product including access to the Concorde lounge); but purists howl at paying $1K for an award ticket.
Purists? Please. It's deceptive marketing to offer an award for X miles and then charge a quarter of the airline's retail fare as a fee. A round trip BOS-LHR on BA in J is $3,310 before real taxes; the award is 100k miles "sAAver" plus $828 YQ.

LH has a great F product too, and they don't charge YQ on award flights.
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan View Post
Someone mentioned Africa earlier - that is going to hurt now with OW. To get to South Africa, you now have to go through LHR I believe. No more direct service from US on SAA.
Perhaps, unless the new AA begins flying MIA-JNB, which could happen with all the new planes on the way plus the talk of more international flights.

And if not, connecting at LHR equals lots more miles.
Old Feb 14, 13, 10:18 pm

Programs: LH, DL/NW, US, HHon, SPG
Originally Posted by jbcarioca View Post
Remember all the vendors too. It will certainly be harder for them, but the BMW commitment seems to be growing. All you need is more Bavarians in the Carolinas.

Sadly Wachovia is no more, so you've no bank of the region, assuming Wachau can be considered related because it was once Bavarian property.
I think loss of LH at CLT is a serious possibility. BMW is far from the lone German (or Bavarian) in the area. There are more than 100 German and Austrian firms located in five counties around Charlotte, and just last week there was groundbreaking for another new one. But still the majority of LH passengers at CLT are transiting. Sadly, I think we've just traded LH for BA at CLT.

As for Wachau being Bavarian...
The Wachau region is northwest of Vienna, along the Danube, between the towns of Melk and Krems.

They’re already running a slick ad on Charlotte TV showing an airport coming to life in the morning with US & AA aircraft and “The new American is arriving.”
Old Feb 14, 13, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
You are safe. USAir will continue to be in Star Alliance for many months still.
That's comforting.

I had to cancel a flight on US last October, so I'm stuck with the balance and looking for a chance to use it up.

Now that the merger is official, I'll have to use the balance ASAP if I want the miles to credit to UA.
Old Feb 14, 13, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I personally have a large six-figure balance of US miles and will be using them to book award travel into the start of next year; however, sometime before midsummer I will be booking that award travel for next year.

Originally Posted by MetricFlyer View Post
No, the US government will reject the AA-US merger.
That's a dream.

This merger will almost certainly be approved by the USG and have an easier time to get approved than DL-NW or CO-UA. I don't see AA and US having to give up a whole lot for approval absent perhaps some adjustments at DCA and minor things elsewhere.
Old Feb 14, 13, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeoulMan View Post
I think loss of LH at CLT is a serious possibility. BMW is far from the lone German (or Bavarian) in the area. There are more than 100 German and Austrian firms located in five counties around Charlotte, and just last week there was groundbreaking for another new one. But still the majority of LH passengers at CLT are transiting. Sadly, I think we've just traded LH for BA at CLT.
BA has long flown to cities where AA maintains but a token presence (PHL, SEA, DEN, IAH, etc) so I wouldn't rule out the LH flight at CLT. I doubt the German auto exec business travelers and all the other German corp customers would leave LH/Star - they'll likely buy connecting flights from CLT-Wherever from the new AA before they'd fly across the ocean on the new AA.

Since US wasn't part of the TATL immunized alliance, all US was getting out of the arrangement were the connecting passengers from CLT-Wherever, so no revenue loss to the new AA.
Old Feb 15, 13, 3:56 am

If there's really that much demand to CLT, maybe AB would consider it.
Old Feb 15, 13, 4:56 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by masonuc View Post
If I'm US CP are there any airlines that will match my status? I'd love to switch to United since I am in DC area. I also am not a fan of AA's frequent flier program at all.
After CO/UA merger AA run status match for 1K.

After BMI takeover, BA matched my card plus AC, TK and one more airline (A3?) run status match.
Old Feb 15, 13, 5:17 am

American always had a reputation as an arrogant airline ( AA),
US always has a reputation as a bad airline ( useless Air

I have never seen mergers achieving a higher status and reputation.

So the merger will result in a lousy airline with old US service standards becoming the norm and American's behaviour during IROPS.

In addition they will have a patchy network in Europe ( dreadful hubs Hellrow and chaotic strike prone Madrid bar a bass ). In the other direction Transpac I also see no necessity to switch over.

My estimate is that we will see another (bigger) chapter 11 mess in 2015.
Old Feb 15, 13, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by Fendant View Post
American always had a reputation as an arrogant airline ( AA),
US always has a reputation as a bad airline ( useless Air

I have never seen mergers achieving a higher status and reputation.

So the merger will result in a lousy airline with old US service standards becoming the norm and American's behaviour during IROPS.

In addition they will have a patchy network in Europe ( dreadful hubs Hellrow and chaotic strike prone Madrid bar a bass ). In the other direction Transpac I also see no necessity to switch over.

My estimate is that we will see another (bigger) chapter 11 mess in 2015.
Really?!?! Take your dribble and post it elsewhere.

Like DL/NW, CO/UA, WN/FL are any better?? I've seen plenty of complaints about those airlines/combinations. And the European network as well as the Asian networks in One-World while not amazing by no means are patchy.
Old Feb 15, 13, 6:36 am

I still have a bunch of US miles and want to use it on United this summer for EWR-PEK/PVG. Does US/AA merger mean that my US miles can no longer be used on Star Alliance? Does the US-Star Alliance allegiance end immediately, or do you think it will take some time?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: