Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by KeithVertrees
My tickets to MEL would be T on UA so they will only earn 50% mileage on A3. I'll only get 10,200 miles for the whole trip.
Do you think you'd get the other 8800 by the end of the year?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Do you think you'd get the other 8800 by the end of the year?
No. I can't guarantee that I'll be on fares that earn 100%. I'm only going to fly another ~8000 miles this year outside of the MEL trip, unless I do an IAD to SFO just for the miles.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
No. I can't guarantee that I'll be on fares that earn 100%. I'm only going to fly another ~8000 miles this year outside of the MEL trip, unless I do an IAD to SFO just for the miles.
You can always check the Mileage Run forum for deals on that, and finalize your transition into a true FlyerTalker.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Superguy
You can always check the Mileage Run forum for deals on that, and finalize your transition into a true FlyerTalker.
Checking with a TA could be faster (though asking them so many questions can make some of them nervous on the phone.)
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:43 pm

Slightly off topic, but do you need to book through corporate onto a corporate card? Or any card you want? If it's a corp card, is it a points-earning Amex or something else?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Slightly off topic, but do you need to book through corporate onto a corporate card? Or any card you want? If it's a corp card, is it a points-earning Amex or something else?
If it is points earning on a corp card, does the company not keep the points?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:43 pm

It's one of the HR people's AMEX. I assume it's a corporate card and I don't know what happens with the points. My guess is that they forego points to get some discount on the Concur/AXO expense management solution.

So I spent some time reading the Mileage Run forum.... I'm planning an IAD -> DXB or BAH run in November now for ~14k miles. Unfortunately I can't find anything that gives me the mileage I need for less than $1k. But hey, $1k and a weekend from hell and I get Gold all next year
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Checking with a TA could be faster (though asking them so many questions can make some of them nervous on the phone.)
I was referring to the latter part of the statement with regards to the SFO-IAD run just for the miles.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
If it is points earning on a corp card, does the company not keep the points?
I suspect that varies. If the ticket is paid for using a corporate cc miles awarded by the carrier(s) go to the passenger - a pretty universal policy of U.S. carriers (and how a lot of the people that post here get most of their miles). If you're talking about points awarded by the cc issuer based on spend, they most likely go to the corporate holder. I just wonder how many corporations have a company cc that gives points.

Jim
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I suspect that varies. If the ticket is paid for using a corporate cc miles awarded by the carrier(s) go to the passenger - a pretty universal policy of U.S. carriers (and how a lot of the people that post here get most of their miles). If you're talking about points awarded by the cc issuer based on spend, they most likely go to the corporate holder. I just wonder how many corporations have a company cc that gives points.

Jim
With AMEX corporate cards if you as the employee pay an annual fee ($35 I think) you can have the points accrued by the corporate card credited to your personal AMEX account... If the employer allows it. I know some employers do no-points cards to lower other costs or keep the points for themselves to use to pay for corporate travel. I'm not sure what we do as I use my personal card for all business expenses except initial ticket purchase. If I make changes or paid upgrades I pay with my personal card and then decide if I will submit for reimbursement.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Sorry if this has already been discussed here - I can't find it....
Will flights on US in early November still earn on star alliance?
Thanks in advance....
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sam33
Sorry if this has already been discussed here - I can't find it....
Will flights on US in early November still earn on star alliance?
Thanks in advance....
Yes.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
Yes.
Thanks. Is there a definitive date in place yet for when the earnings no longer apply for *A?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Is there a definitive date in place yet for when the earnings no longer apply for *A?
Nope. Or if there is, it's not published anywhere.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nor is there any indication that they are leaving *A absent a merger.

I'd be a little nervous about anything past March at this point, but until that point, I'd assume that US will remain in *A until they announce otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.