Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I highly doubt US leaves *A if the merger doesn't happen.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
I booked a US award flight using my UA miles for May 2014. Is there any clarification how this will be handled?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WIRunner
This is news. Do you have a press release?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...march/2901149/
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:08 pm

Was this post inspired by the 1.1 cpm share miles offer?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:54 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
I am also deciding between UA and US for a flight I'll make in early November. The former guarantees me 50% mile accrual on my other *A program while the latter allows 100%.

Wondering if anyone knows if it is safe to go for US? Will it most likely remain in *A next month?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hub-captive
Was this post inspired by the 1.1 cpm share miles offer?
Huh? This was originally posted in the Star Alliance thread and someone moved it over.

Originally Posted by wethereyet
I booked a US award flight using my UA miles for May 2014. Is there any clarification how this will be handled?
I guess the questions are 3 fold:

1 - will the tickets be honored or UA has to reroute you? -> I wonder what the precedence / *A rule has been in other case (thus it makes more sense for this thread to be in the *A Forum but someone moved it)

2 - what happen if you need to make a change? -> I am guessing if you change after they leave *A, then you can't fly on them

3 - will your *A benefits be honored? -> I am guessing no

Originally Posted by tya
I am also deciding between UA and US for a flight I'll make in early November. The former guarantees me 50% mile accrual on my other *A program while the latter allows 100%.

Wondering if anyone knows if it is safe to go for US? Will it most likely remain in *A next month?
No chance US will leave *A November 2013. The trial is mid November. They can't merge until there is a verdict approving the merger (or settlement). Even before the DOJ suit, US was targeting 1/1/2014. It won't be earlier than that for sure.

Last edited by username; Oct 5, 2013 at 11:08 pm
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:21 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by username
Huh? This was originally posted in the Star Alliance thread and someone moved it over.

I guess the questions are 3 fold:

1 - will the tickets be honored or UA has to reroute you? -> I wonder what the precedence / *A rule has been in other case (thus it makes more sense for this thread to be in the *A Forum but someone moved it)

2 - what happen if you need to make a change? -> I am guessing if you change after they leave *A, then you can't fly on them

3 - will your *A benefits be honored? -> I am guessing no

No chance US will leave *A November 2013. The trial is mid November. They can't merge until there is a verdict approving the merger (or settlement). Even before the DOJ suit, US was targeting 1/1/2014. It won't be earlier than that for sure.

Oh thanks for the note. Wasn't really following the news since I don't fly U.S. domestic often. But now since it's secured I will set off on US!
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
June is winter in South Africa, so you might prefer to travel in 2015 when you can plan the trip better and save money and miles for it. You might also want to go to Cape Town as well as Johannesburg.

The award chart is only part of the story. In addition to the number of miles needed, other factors to consider are fuel surcharges and award availability, plus equipment type and schedules (to maximize enjoyment of the flights).

One option would be to wait until 2015, and book flights on Cathay Pacific using AA miles (assuming the merger goes through). Especially if you can spring for first class, Cathay is very nice, and award availability is usually much better than on AA or BA. As an AA agent reminded me yesterday, Etihad Airways is available (I haven't tried them yet.)

If you take your time and plan everything well in advance, you have the best chance of grabbing the awards you need. For example, Cathay usually makes two first class seats available 11-12 months ahead, and then more seats a few days ahead.

You can also use the time to take advantage of various credit card bonus offers to get miles in US and AA. Also, the Starwood cards earn points that can be transferred to most airlines at a 25% bonus (for increments of 20k).
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anabolism
The award chart is only part of the story. In addition to the number of miles needed, other factors to consider are fuel surcharges and award availability, plus equipment type and schedules (to maximize enjoyment of the flights).
I agree that availability, equipment, and YQ are important considerations. Furthermore, I prefer CX to almost all *A carriers.

BUT, AA's premium (in terms of miles required) over US between the USA and Africa is non-trivial:

-40k for business class
-50k for first class

With US miles, you can forget about flying SQ in a premium cabin, but there are a few other options from which to choose: LH/Swiss, TG, TK, and SAA. Among these, LH and Swiss can be challenging with respect to F redemptions, but TG if is not especially hard to snag, and I really like it. I've never flown TK or SAA so I can't comment on their services first hand, but I've heard nice things. They are two class only... so no F option.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
So in preparation of US moving to OW, I will be doing the US share miles promo to acquire more miles in hoping they will become AA miles next year, AA has awful bonus promo compare to the sharing promo.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I have an award booking through AC's Aeroplan for a PHL-FRA on US in J next summer.

Would it be reasonable to assume that my confirmed booking and baggage allowances will be grandfathered should the OW switch occur as others have mentioned?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
It cracks me up that a lot are assuming US is moving to OW. There is no indication of that if the merger doesn't go thru. All we know is that US will move to OW IF the merger goes thru. They have given no indication of any plans if it doesn't, and certainly have made no indication that they will leave *A if the merger collapses.

I wouldn't be making any plans on any moving miles, changing alliances, etc, until we know for sure whether or not the merger goes thru. But hey, it's not my miles or status, so do what you will. Just don't come back crying if US remains in *A.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by yqtyyz
I have an award booking through AC's Aeroplan for a PHL-FRA on US in J next summer.

Would it be reasonable to assume that my confirmed booking and baggage allowances will be grandfathered should the OW switch occur as others have mentioned?
I'd presume the booking would be ok. I wouldn't presume any status/baggage allowance carrying over outside of what your class of service entitles you too, assuming US leaves *A.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by yuel
How are you coming up with this logic?

UA awards flts is about equal to AA, both have there positives!
US awards is higher then UA and AA by looking at the award charts, meaning less valuable to me, plus AA has one way flights
I took a look at the AA partner awards chart to see what a trip to Africa would cost. The 14,000 to 20,000 miles tier indicated I would need 100k for coach, 130k for business and 180k for first - so it's definitely a bit higher than *A according to what I'm seeing.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by VLtone
I took a look at the AA partner awards chart to see what a trip to Africa would cost. The 14,000 to 20,000 miles tier indicated I would need 100k for coach, 130k for business and 180k for first - so it's definitely a bit higher than *A according to what I'm seeing.
You are looking at the distance-based explorer awards, which are great to some areas and offer lots of flexibility. Try http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp 37500 miles each way U.S.-Africa in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.