Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 8, 13, 9:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 14, 13, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
I guess we'll see how this shakes out as time goes on.

I'm in a similar situation ... I fly enough for platinum but only made CP this year due to the DPQM promotion in Q4. I'm thinking a buy up could be good for that very reason, but also to give me more leverage with another carrier should I decide to status match out.

Now if you only qualify for platinum at the end of the year, do you have to wait until March to buy up, or can you top off your status for the following year after October?
Excellent question... if you hit Platinum in Oct and have no other activity planned for the remainder of the year not sure you can BuyUp immediately and it qualify you for CP for the remainder of the year and the next. Additionally, I don't even see that AA has option for BuyUp in its program.
Old Feb 14, 13, 5:06 pm

American would probably want to to keep rates low to compete with Southwest at BWI,
Old Feb 14, 13, 5:07 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred
Originally Posted by bsbaumeister View Post
Excellent question... if you hit Platinum in Oct and have no other activity planned for the remainder of the year not sure you can BuyUp immediately and it qualify you for CP for the remainder of the year and the next. Additionally, I don't even see that AA has option for BuyUp in its program.
Under the current US rules, you can buy up in October have it count for the rest of the current year and all of the next year. However, it obviously remains to be seen whether this will still be an option come this October.
Old Feb 14, 13, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA, AS
Sooooo what will happen with my miles?

Sadly I have been hoarding my US dividend miles trying to get enough for a RTW in FC. I have no plans to do that this year. Any speculation, possibly from historical reference as to what will happen with our dividend miles at the end the 3rd quarter 2013? Is there any way to find out if our miles will just be converted to AA/Oneworld miles?

Moderator please move this post if it would be more appropriate elsewhere.
Old Feb 14, 13, 5:12 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Hey!!!

Originally Posted by psychoandy View Post
If you're all about tying status with money spent, maybe you should start working on some skypesos.
I maybe stupid, BUT I AM NOT AN IDIOT (-;
Old Feb 14, 13, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by finster869 View Post
Under the current US rules, you can buy up in October have it count for the rest of the current year and all of the next year. However, it obviously remains to be seen whether this will still be an option come this October.
I bought up to CP on 01Oct2012 and I will do it again this fall assuming the benefits are worth the price ... and that is a big IF and a big UNKNOWN. But with Doug Parker at the helm, perhaps AA will introduce buy-ups.
Old Feb 14, 13, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Alamo Insiders, Hertz #1 Gold
Any chance US is going to maintain any of their codeshare agreements with *A carriers?
Old Feb 14, 13, 5:41 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan View Post
Any chance US is going to maintain any of their codeshare agreements with *A carriers?
I wouldn't hold my breath, no.
Old Feb 14, 13, 6:10 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by louie-m View Post
Yes. All tickets will be honoured. Problems may arise if you need to change the tickets or there are changes in schedules etc after US leaves *A though, but personally I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
I wondered about that as well: if I booked award flights with US Airway miles for a later time after the merger of frequent flyer schemes, and there is a schedule change ater the merger causing a misconnection, would US Airways still fix it??
Old Feb 14, 13, 6:21 pm

Other than for having Doug run the new airline, I have no complaints. I just hope my Lifetime AA Gold status remains after all is said and done.
Old Feb 14, 13, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM for 15 years, SkyClub: Lifetime, Delta Million Miler
I wonder how this merger affects Alaska Airlines relationship with American ...

US Airlines covers some of the same West Coast routes as Alaska Airlines, and USAir is their competition.

Both American and Delta code-share with Alaska

We are able to choose if I want to collect Miles on OW or ST with Alaska tickets
Old Feb 14, 13, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, PC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I have been AA Gold or Plat for the last 8 years, mostly on segments as i do a lot of short runs out of DCA/BWI. I just switched from AA to US last year when i found out that the US challenge program gave me status benefits instantly, instead of making me waiti until i completed the challenge like AA.

I stuck to US because as a "Low-roller" FF, i still got a decent amount of bumps to first. in AA, i would travel 50-70 legs a year, and all that flying would barely get me enough stickers for one cross-country upgrade for my wife and I in a whole year.
In the first 6 months i have been US, as a lowly Silver, i got upgraded on 3 cross-country flights and at least 50% of my other flights out of BWI. Maybe i got lucky, maybe i fly less-traveled routes. But i know that got my attention quick.

I don't understand why upper level elites would be worried about lower level elites competing for upgrades, as lower level elites don't get upgraded until all higher level elites' requests have been fulfilled.

Funny thing, in the last 4 months, i have received 2 different "challenge offers" from AA, where they deposited a bonus of 20 stickers in my account, and bumped me back from gold to platinum for 3 months (with a challenge to fly 10k miles and retain plat status for following year)

That's a total of 40 stickers i got. I haven't earned that many stickers in the last several years combined. I wonder if they really want my business, or if they are giving out a ton of stickers because they may be doing away with them soon? (fingers crossed)
Old Feb 14, 13, 7:15 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
ugh, reading through all these posts, it's clear we need a sub-forum just to address all the different topics being covered in just this one thread. Or perhaps a sticky like they have in the AA forum addressing what has been CONFRIMED so far so the same questions don't keep popping up in the thread.
Old Feb 14, 13, 7:23 pm
GAC
Suspended

Lets look at the bright side kids, at least we are not joining Skyteam.
Old Feb 14, 13, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Alamo Insiders, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath, no.
Someone mentioned Africa earlier - that is going to hurt now with OW. To get to South Africa, you now have to go through LHR I believe. No more direct service from US on SAA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: