Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
...LCC does have Airbus as a shareholder and did make some quite aggressive deals. ....
Minor point: AFAIK, Airbus was never a shareholder of LCC. They loaned $250m for the HP-US merger (and got US as the A350 launch customer in USA), but the loan was repaid the following year in a debt restructure.

I agree that if the merger happens, both B787s and A350s will be used widely. If the merger fails, I see Parker as an Airbus man who'd stick with Airbus in a standalone US.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: US CP, DL PM
Status choice change?

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about delay/change in merger affecting what status they go for?

I'm CP and when the merger was definite (and fast approaching), I was planning to go again for CP to ensure being EXP on the new american...seemed like in light of merger, bloated ranks, and the currently better benefits for EXP than lower tier AA preferred that this was a no brainer...

However, if the merger is off, or even postponed a little, starting to think platinum vs. CP is not that huge of a difference. Main differences are certs, upgrades, and accruing higher % bonus. The % bonus does nothing for me because I have a large excess of miles and seldom spend, I could get envoy award tickets instead of using CP certs if I'm plat, and I'm not so sure that plats really miss UGs that often that it's worth it to be CP based on what people say on the boards.

If I don't go for CP this year, I'd probably travel less or fly a little more on delta, where I am trying to requalify for platinum or gold there.

Anyone else been thinking about this? Got pros and cons to add to my list?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:46 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't think the delay will impact me one way or the other in terms of what my status "plan" is for the year. I probably fly between 175-200k/yr and have lifetime Gold on AA, so I don't plan to chase Plat there.

I'll finish CP first, then load the rest onto UA and probably wind up either 1P or Plat. For my travel patterns, I either need XC (US/AA) or up and down the west coast (UA). The merger combines two big banks of miles for me, but that's about it.

From my experience, EXP is superior to CP but it's much more "painful" to get there due to the 500 mile "stickers" on AA for Plats.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by jondysse
Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about delay/change in merger affecting what status they go for?

I'm CP and when the merger was definite (and fast approaching), I was planning to go again for CP to ensure being EXP on the new american...seemed like in light of merger, bloated ranks, and the currently better benefits for EXP than lower tier AA preferred that this was a no brainer...

However, if the merger is off, or even postponed a little, starting to think platinum vs. CP is not that huge of a difference. Main differences are certs, upgrades, and accruing higher % bonus. The % bonus does nothing for me because I have a large excess of miles and seldom spend, I could get envoy award tickets instead of using CP certs if I'm plat, and I'm not so sure that plats really miss UGs that often that it's worth it to be CP based on what people say on the boards.
I can think of a few things.

1) CP gets to redeposit award tickets without fees. The ability to make changes or cancel award tickets outright without a fee is a great benefit - especially if plans are subject to change. $150 per ticket changes aren't fun.

2) Higher upgrade percentages. This is a YMMV, as it depends on routes flown. In my case, BWI is a fairly CP and plat heavy area. BWI-PHX is a difficult route as a platinum, but a lot easier as a CP. If you're in elite heavy areas, the extra status is helpful.

3) Priority during IRROPS. US is much more likely to accommodate a CP with the best routing possible, and accommodations if needed, without a whole lot of fuss. I've heard of US giving CPs hotel vouchers for weather related IRROPS - something you won't get at lower levels. I've had the CP desk work some miracles when things were bad. They were willing to go the extra mile to call inventory management to force seat availability in the event of an oversell.

PP isn't bad by any means. It's just good to be king - especially when it comes to IRROPS.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Fanjet
By the end of next year until the first 350 arrives, US will have 15 332s, 9 330s, and up to 10 762s. The amount of international expansion US can do is limited. Flights to Asia and South America require 2 aircraft per day. So the airline is basically confined to Europe. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. But any concept of "growing organically" needs to be put in perspective. US as a stand-alone carrier needs to stick to its core markets.
Speaking of this, does anyone know what US has done with the 2 or 3 A332's they've taken delivery of this year? I can't think of where those aircraft have ended up. I feel like CLT-GRU accounts for two net aircraft, but that's a 767 route right now--what route did those 767's come off of that are now being flown by 332's?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by DCdeacon
Speaking of this, does anyone know what US has done with the 2 or 3 A332's they've taken delivery of this year? I can't think of where those aircraft have ended up. I feel like CLT-GRU accounts for two net aircraft, but that's a 767 route right now--what route did those 767's come off of that are now being flown by 332's?
Today's 332 schedule. This accounts for 9 frames with 1 spare.
PHL-TLV
PHL-MAD
PHL-MAN
PHL-VCE
PHL-FRA
PHL-CDG
CLT-FRA
CLT-CDG
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
With fairly rare exceptions such as United and JAL most carriers are ordering a mix these days
Maybe you meant NH and JL? UA has 35 A350-1000XWB's on order with options for 40 more.

If the merger does not go through I really would not hazard a guess because i do not believe either airline now has a Plan B in place. Even so wide body fleet renewal will certainly end out being some mix of those two types, as it is for most carriers.
AA does indeed have Plan-B in place (implementing their pre-merger plan), can't say about Parker and his team.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
.......AA does indeed have Plan-B in place (implementing their pre-merger plan), can't say about Parker and his team.
And how well was Horton's Plan B received by the financial community and AA creditors?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perseus11
And how well was Horton's Plan B received by the financial community and AA creditors?
The standalone plan was Plan A, not B, but I don't think it was ever fully discussed for approval by the creditors as Parker boycotted the process mid-stream. As far as the financial community is concerned, it will always take an M&A deal over a no-deal. The former gives them tons of free money fees for work done, the second doesn't.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Well, if the merger is rejected, what other choice do they have but to go with Horton's plan (in some form)?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:15 am

Sorry if I've missed this, but what is the timeline on when it will be known whether the merger is a definite go or no-go? In one article, I saw mention of mid-December, but with a comment that even that date could be renegotiated.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Sorry if I've missed this, but what is the timeline on when it will be known whether the merger is a definite go or no-go? In one article, I saw mention of mid-December, but with a comment that even that date could be renegotiated.
It'll probably take either some court hearings (to determine whether the DOJ case will proceed, set trial dates) and whether the DOJ might drop the case after getting concessions to have a better sense of this. A lot up in the air right now.

Barring a negotiated settlement or AA and US deciding to not proceed with the merger, I'd be really surprised if we knew anything else concrete this year.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Well, if the merger is rejected, what other choice do they have but to go with Horton's plan (in some form)?
Exactly. Well, there's a possibility that they'd rather liquidate AA instead of exiting Ch 11 as an independent airline, but the odds of that are fairly remote. AA is much larger than UA, DL or NW when they emerged from bankruptcy and AA's financial performance since it filed for Ch 11 is, IMO, more impressive than the performance of those three when they were in Ch 11 protection.

The stand-alone plan called for AA to expand by 20% over five years (which is 3.7% a year), cost reductions of $2 billion annually plus revenue improvements of $1 billion. The cost reduction target was achieved in 2012 and during 2012, AA achieved 88% of the five-year revenue target.

This week, Holly Hegeman of PlaneBusiness incorrectly said in her PlaneBusinessBanter column (more than once) that the stand-alone plan called for 20% annual growth. If Horton's plan had actually called for 20% annual capacity growth, then her childish and facile mocking of the plan would have been appropriate. Emily Litella has nothing on Holly Hegeman.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Actually "revert back to Plan-A" which was happening for >12 months after BK. How it was received by the financial community & creditors can't say but certainly AA has started to "right the ship" and started to have positive earnings. In fact, record earnings for 2Q 2013. Impressive!

Originally Posted by hillrider
The standalone plan was Plan A, not B, but I don't think it was ever fully discussed for approval by the creditors as Parker boycotted the process mid-stream. As far as the financial community is concerned, it will always take an M&A deal over a no-deal. The former gives them tons of free money fees for work done, the second doesn't.
+1.

Originally Posted by phlwookie
It'll probably take either some court hearings (to determine whether the DOJ case will proceed, set trial dates) and whether the DOJ might drop the case after getting concessions to have a better sense of this. A lot up in the air right now.

Barring a negotiated settlement or AA and US deciding to not proceed with the merger, I'd be really surprised if we knew anything else concrete this year.
AFAIK, since AA entered BK back in Nov 2011, its cost AA about $150 million in legal fees and with the current daily legal fee at $500,000.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:48 am

According to AA's general counsel, there is no Plan B:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...fails/2681345/

But I guess that could be PR rhetoric to try to convince the DOJ that AA would not survive without the merger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.