Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 8, 13, 9:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 14, 13, 3:02 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I'd already been starting to funnel more of my business to Delta anyway (they simply have a better product). A US exit from Star Alliance would mean my losing access to Star Alliance Gold lounges for my occasional Lufthansa trips to Germany and accruing miles + status on those trips on my "home airline".

Most likely I go from US Gold/Delta Silver to Delta Gold/US Silver.
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:03 pm

Programs: US Chairman
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
I had some questions regarding the US-AA Merger.
1. Currently I have access to the US Airways Clubs with Priority Pass and I was wondering with the new merger would these clubs turn to Admirals Clubs or would all the Admiral's Clubs become US Airways Clubs? If so would we get more Priority Pass lounges or would it go the way of United Clubs where members who get their Priority Pass access from a financial institution have no access.
I think this is TBD on Priority Pass. However, both US and AA clubs both allow access via Amex Platinum (which is how I got my Priority Pass card, which means domestically it is actually meaningless).
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
The line in the email that worries me is 'in the meantime existing miles will continue to be honoured'. It almost sounds like existing miles won't be honoured at sometime in the future.

But if I read that with the FAQ is seems as though even existing miles will be honoured in the future - they'll just be mergerded somehow right? And I'm worried about nothing??
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:11 pm

Programs: US1
Wait until AA has to move over to SHARES. That day is going to be really fun.
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN View Post
The new airline will be part of oneworld which is already integrated with SABRE. For that reason wouldn't you expect SHARES to go away?
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by deltaflyinglawyer View Post
In order to exit voluntarily from the Star Alliance, an airline should have a mininum 6 months ultimatum. So, it seems like US already has told Star Alliance that they are leaving this fall, or 3rd Qtr. I thought this will be long process to become one with several bumps on the way. government approval, bankrupcy court's approval, to name a few.
I still have approximately 300,000 miles to burn. Still enough time to do it.

Originally Posted by grahampros View Post
That's not really what that says from US Airways. The "completed" part means that the deal is expected to officially closed in the 3rd Q, not that that is the target date of leaving Star. We just dont know that yet.
+1. Putting aside that 6 months is extremely ambitious for completing this transaction, I have a very hard time believing that the alliance changeover will be immediate upon closing of the merger, without any transition period that would allow crediting of US flight mileage to UA or another *A partner.

For that matter, under antitrust rules the companies should not even be discussing which alliance to remain with until the deal is complete. Of course, they inevitably have had some discussions about how to merge operations and rationalize their hubs and network, but they can't make joint business decisions at this point and are required to continue to operate as two separate companies. So we may not see an announcement regarding FF plans until after the merger is in fact complete, and then a transition period to avoid all kinds of consumer complaints will no doubt ensue.
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:23 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN View Post
It's highly likely that this will not happen. AA is on SABRE, and they actually designed/built that GDS back in the 60's (AMR sold it off about 10 years ago, though AA continues to use it).

US was also on SABRE from about 1998 until the HP-US merger when they migrated to SHARES (which was a huge fiasco).

At any rate, I expect to see SABRE survive the merger in favor of SHARES.
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
The line in the email that worries me is 'in the meantime existing miles will continue to be honoured'. It almost sounds like existing miles won't be honoured at sometime in the future.

But if I read that with the FAQ is seems as though even existing miles will be honoured in the future - they'll just be mergerded somehow right? And I'm worried about nothing??

I take this as a response to the concern that because AA is emerging from bankruptcy it could cancel all those miles as a liability. But they won't because they would instantly lose a massive number of customers.

I agree, though, that it's not well-phrased.
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:32 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post

Well at some point, what we currently refer to as "US miles" will indeed go away. But they will have been replaced by a more or less equal number of "AA miles" or some weird hybrid FF program name, and "US Dividend Miles" will no longer exist.

Of course the powers that be could always decide to reset EVERYONE'S miles to 0 and wipe out any existing balances, but that would be very bad for business. You would have a mass exodus of travelers who have already proven themselves loyal, and they would abandon ship and never look back.

The existence of my miles is one of the things I feel pretty un-worried about. Yes there will be devaluation at some point in the future, maybe as part of the merger, maybe not. But gone to zero? Highly unlikely unless the combined carrier wants to start all over with a purely kettle customer base.
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by phisher4 View Post
Does anyone really think they will be fully integrated by late 2013 like the letter said this morning?
No, the US government will reject the AA-US merger.
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:39 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by MetricFlyer View Post
No, the US government will reject the AA-US merger.
WRONG!!
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by dcpatti View Post
Of course the powers that be could always decide to reset EVERYONE'S miles to 0 and wipe out any existing balances, but that would be very bad for business. You would have a mass exodus of travelers who have already proven themselves loyal, and they would abandon ship and never look back.

What will UA and DL do to lure current US members who are planning to
stop flying on the new AA-US airline? (voluntarily or involuntarily)
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by flight62 View Post
WRONG!!
I was only kidding... the US government almost never make
such decisions to benefit consumers.
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:41 pm
GAC
Suspended

As I posted before the mouse just ate the eagle.

Like many here i dread losing *A but I'm wondering now that the new AA will be the big dog in the industry does it not make sense that others will want to join OW? If so, maybe OW can someday be even better?

I'm thinks better partners to Asia and Europe.

Anyways, I know we have many haters here but congrats to Doug Parker who did what he always wanted and what everybody else thought impossible.

Hope they don't screw it up!
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by MetricFlyer View Post
I was only kidding... the US government almost never make
such decisions to benefit consumers.
Except I'm not sure rejecting the merger would benefit consumers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: