FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Most room in coach (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1438201-most-room-coach.html)

rocket2247 Feb 13, 2013 11:17 am

Most room in coach

When flying USairways or United, which types of planes offer the most room in coach? If someone could direct me to a link that would show me this, that would be great.

Thank you.

Superguy Feb 13, 2013 11:26 am

Seatguru.com has comparisons of seating on most major world airlines and their planes. US and UA are in there.

UA hs Economy Plus, which offers 3-5" of extra legroom. However, as a non-UA elite, you'd have to buy into it, and the price varies depending on destination and length of flight.

thomwithanh Feb 13, 2013 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 20240040)
Seatguru.com has comparisons of seating on most major world airlines and their planes. US and UA are in there.

UA hs Economy Plus, which offers 3-5" of extra legroom. However, as a non-UA elite, you'd have to buy into it, and the price varies depending on destination and length of flight.

E+ on UA longhaul is not cheap (unless you're a UA elite and can get it free). For the extra you'll pay for E+ on a TATL, you could almost grab a real premium economy seat on the likes of BA or VS.

Superguy Feb 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by thomwithanh (Post 20240443)
E+ on UA longhaul is not cheap (unless you're a UA elite and can get it free). For the extra you'll pay for E+ on a TATL, you could almost grab a real premium economy seat on the likes of BA or VS.

That's true - even on Y fare. :td:

I would definitely take a look at other carriers in those circumstances. OZ, for example, has the same pitch all throughout Y on their 777's as UA does on their 747s, but has much better service.

It's definitely worth taking a look at.

thomwithanh Feb 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 20240718)
That's true - even on Y fare. :td:

I would definitely take a look at other carriers in those circumstances. OZ, for example, has the same pitch all throughout Y on their 777's as UA does on their 747s, but has much better service.

It's definitely worth taking a look at.

I've never understood that - AA comps Main Cabin ExtrAA to full fare pax, I believe DL also does the same with Economy Comfort.

I'm traveling on a UA award ticket in C, though my first segment is on a Q200 with no E+ or F. Oddly enough, were my first segment on an RJ with an E+ cabin (e.g. an E145 or CR2), I wouldn't be able to select a seat there as a non-UA elite - despite the fact I'm connecting to a TATL flight in a premium cabin.

EDIT: WE now comp Main Cabin ExtrAA to full fare pax. (R.I.P. US Airways... 1979-2013)

dtremit Feb 13, 2013 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by thomwithanh (Post 20241030)
I've never understood that - AA comps Main Cabin ExtrAA to full fare pax, I believe DL also does the same with Economy Comfort.

Despite having much smaller Y+ cabins, even.

thomwithanh Feb 13, 2013 3:34 pm

OP, are you flying domestically? If yes and miles aren't a major concern to you have you looked at any of the non-legacies/ low-cost carriers? Specifically I'm referring to JetBlue... their standard non-"Even More Space" coach seats have 33" of pitch (US and UA E- only have 31").

Frontier also offers upgrades to their "Stretch" seating starting at $15 per segment. Southwest has no assigned seating but you can get the exit row if your boarding position is high enough.

Superguy Feb 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by thomwithanh (Post 20241030)

I'm traveling on a UA award ticket in C, though my first segment is on a Q200 with no E+ or F. Oddly enough, were my first segment on an RJ with an E+ cabin (e.g. an E145 or CR2), I wouldn't be able to select a seat there as a non-UA elite - despite the fact I'm connecting to a TATL flight in a premium cabin.

I don't either. UA used to give E+ on Y/B tickets if you weren't an elite, but stopped doing that awhile ago.

Sad thing is, when you buy an international Y fare and add the cost of E+, you can often get a C fare for about the same. The C fare is just a pain for me as I have to expense the Y and pay the difference, so the paperwork gets fun. It's worth it, but it still sucks.

teese35 Feb 13, 2013 4:43 pm

United's Economy plus has by far the most room in coach, though you do have to pay for it if you are not preferred w/ united.

IflyonAA Feb 14, 2013 9:02 am

Main Cabin Extra is free of charge to all AA elites until 31st Dec 2013.

It is very good.