Wiki Posts
Search

No upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Silver, Fantasy Football Champ
No upgrade??

I was on a flight on 2/7 from PIT to LGA. There were 2 first class seats that were empty for the flight. I noticed that the guy next to me in coach has Star Alliance Gold member on his boarding pass. I am very new to this upgrade thing, but why wouldn't he or someone else with status be upgraded to the empty first class seats?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
They might have been Star Gold from another airline. They are not entitled to first class. Must have status with US for upgrade. However, a GA might upgrade another elite member from another program, but they do not have to provide the upgrade.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
*G are definitely not entitled to free ug's. And most carriers would indeed prefer to have F seats go out empty than give them away. If people get too many of them without meeting the requirements, they will work less hard to meet the requirements and the carriers will lose the revenue.

I hate a lot of what the airlines do, but I agree with this one. It's like a restaurant throwing away the uneaten desserts at the end of the night. If you happen to be the last table to leave, does that mean they should give you a dessert for free?

However, I've only been flying a lot since December, but I don't remember an empty F seat on any of my flights.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Lightbulb I know the answer

Nobody eligible wanted row 1 in F.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by rocket2247
...why wouldn't he or someone else with status be upgraded to the empty first class seats?
After all US Preferreds (and companions) are upgraded, the GA may sell the FC seats (probably $50 for PIT-LGA) to anybody, though it's not unknown that an elite from a partner airline may be upgraded gratis last-minute by a kind GA.

The GA is under time pressure to resolve issues, get the paperwork done and move the flight out on time; sometimes standby upgrades may not be a front-burner priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.