Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways award travel chart change

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by pitflyer
They were within their right to do it, but it still shows how bad an airline this is to put this change in without any advance notice. Big devaluations have occurred at many programs, but ones that come to mind like Starwood, etc, announce it and give at a least a month under the old rules before they cut over.
Well, for me coming from AC where they dropped the YQ bomb on award redemptions without notice, this devaluation almost seems like a minor blow. *knock on wood* Starwood is usually excellent at communications and social media presence, which is why I think they have such a fanatically loyal following. Most airline programmes pale in comparison...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by Santander
The LH F disclaimer has been there for a while already and the SQ stuff is really old news.
I had not seen it and am disappointed. I really wanted to try it with the wife before US leaves the *A.... Maybe I'll get lucky and find one on Swiss....
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Alphaguy
I had not seen it and am disappointed. I really wanted to try it with the wife before US leaves the *A.... Maybe I'll get lucky and find one on Swiss....
If you're interested in Asia at all, OZ and NH are both excellent in F too.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:22 pm

Sell me miles then devalue them

Let's see...I luckily get targeted to buy miles with a 50% bonus (hurry offer ends 2/28/13)...sounds great...I buy 50k for $1,800+....so much for my bonus.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by jmcbride383
Let's see...I luckily get targeted to buy miles with a 50% bonus (hurry offer ends 2/28/13)...sounds great...I buy 50k for $1,800+....so much for my bonus.
Just make sure that you have a flight in mind - and have availability for it. Then buy and book.

The trick of the mileage game is to have nothing in your accounts more often than 10000000000 in your accounts.....thus avoiding these mishaps
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I guess their new business class is selling well enough to justify taking away the 60k award level...
Not from what I saw this past week. Flew into CDG, out of MAD, and both ways had 5-6 Envoy seats available. Actually, both flights were only about 2/3 full.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:03 pm

Lesson learned.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by jmcbride383
buying miles is rarely a good deal.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by grahampros
buying miles is rarely a good deal.
I am confused by your statement. For international long haul premium awards buying miles is fantastic value.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
When they offer the 'double miles' purchase and your plan is international long haul premium I've found it a good deal.

Over the years my wife and I have gotten rather spoiled -- for the long haul flights we simply don't do coach. I recall a few years ago my wife was an invited speaker at a conference in Tel Aviv. The conference could not afford the business class flight -- used miles to upgrade for that. It made a huge difference (miles well spent). Of course in that scenario it was something of an 'over and back' -- outbound on Saturday, return on Thursday.

Because of our work schedules, we've never been able to tap into the off peak fares. At best we get the 100K Envoy round trips. I still look at those as a reasonable deal.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I am confused by your statement. For international long haul premium awards buying miles is fantastic value.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by dcpatti
It's been a really long time since they adjusted that chart, so I don't think any of us should be surprised.

As for business ethics.... testing vaccines on babies in third-world countries without their parents' informed consent is unethical. Highly unethical. Changing the price you charge for your product or service is not unethical at all.
I'm surprised. The earing rates for flying Envoy haven't gone up recently, why does one need to spend more in miles for such a flight? They should instead drop the rate of miles earned for partner transactions. Seems like you get more reward value for partner transactions than flying.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
So I guess I am the idiot. Decide that this is the weekend I was going to look at dates for my off-peak envoy to Europe for spring, and its gone. How in the heck did I miss this thread 7 months ago
Old Aug 25, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by etsmyers
So I guess I am the idiot. Decide that this is the weekend I was going to look at dates for my off-peak envoy to Europe for spring, and its gone. How in the heck did I miss this thread 7 months ago
To add insult to injury, even "low" Envoy tickets seem hard to find to places like LHR and FRA -- in late January and February. I'd be bummed to have to spend 100K miles instead of 60K, but 200K to London in the middle of winter? That's a huge downgrade of what, to me, was the biggest perk of I got from putting all my miles with US.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they've been keeping those levels high until the merger with AA gets sorted out, since after that there will probably be some readjustment of flights into hubs like LHR and FRA after that.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
but I can get the low fares on United, with my miles, go figure
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
IMO, its a coin toss between US and UA for Europe travel in business class.I prefer the Envoy suites on US but living in DC I would not make a connection to get them vs a nonstop out of IAD. The UA flat-beds are just fine for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.