US adds non-stops for Super Bowl

Old Jan 29, 13, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, Marriott Gold LT, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
It wouldn't surprise me if those one-off outbound flights did fill up (or close to it). Not all locals are fans of the big events that take pace in their hometown and they use these events as an excuse to get out of town.

As a DC-area resident I know several friends who specifically left town over the long weekend of MLK/Inauguration to avoid the crowds and the hassles. I supect NoLa could be the same for the likes of the SB, Mardi Gras and JazzFest.
Old Jan 29, 13, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, Marriott Gold LT, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mileshound View Post
Leaving the SB is always more difficult than getting there. People arrive on different days during the week but most leave on Monday. Some may stay a little longer in NOLA if they think their liver and GI track can handle it.
Hey! look who's here! Nice to see you post mileshound.
Old Jan 29, 13, 1:37 pm

On a related note, it is wonderfully cheap to fly OUT of MSY this weekend. I'm doing a long-weeknd-escape-the-insanity trip to New York for $200 RT. Upgrades cleared easily as the 321s are coming in full and turning back at most half-full. This may have implications for profits being made, in addition to the weird positioning mentioned above.
Old Jan 29, 13, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EXP, SPG-Plat
Lets go 9ers! I think flights arent the issue for the bowl... hotels are very difficult
Old Jan 29, 13, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by McGowan06 View Post
US has added a couple of direct flights from BWI and SFO to/from MSY for the Super Bowl:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/specials/thebiggame.html
The last thing I would ever want to do personally is fly off to a football game. Now, a baseball game, that's another matter. But, it is always good to see airlines demonstrating agility and adding sections.

Originally Posted by phlwookie View Post
Yes, and they're particularly noticeable at CLT and PHX, where the airports can vary from nearly empty to mobbed when the gates are full and people are heading to their connections.
The best US bank operations were at PIT. Of course, traffic was so high there at times one couldn't tell when one bank ended and the next started.
Old Jan 29, 13, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
Mardi Gras is a huge vacation time for New Orleanians, since all of the schools in the area are closed the whole week. Many people fly or take one of the cruises out of town for the week. We skipped out of town and hit up Jamaica one year.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: