Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No service in F on CLT-RDU

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:51 am
Original Poster

No service in F on CLT-RDU

I recently flew in F CLT-RDU on a 737-400 (A fare).

I was a bit disappointed that there was zero service in F. No PDB of any kind, and no drinks or snacks in-flight. Boarding and flight time seemed average, and there were no weather issues that I noticed.

Now I realize this is a very short flight, so I expected very little. I would have been happy with a bottle of water and a pack of peanuts.

Is it normal for US to have zero service in F on these types of flights?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did you ask for that they refused?

I have never been refused a request made to a FA in F. On super short-hauls, neither US nor most domestic carriers offer service. But, in F it's almost always on request. The only time I've been unable to obtain service is when it's just not possible due to turbulence and the like.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I beg to differ. I've been offered a PDB, plus two drink runs and two snack basket passes on a PHL-DCA flight of similar distance. I think it all depends on the crew.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
I've flown the route a few times but always on express carriers. I've always gotten PDB and as many drinks as I wanted on the flight. You were on mainline and I'm not surprised they did nothing. I've found the express FAs go above and beyond on short flights.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I beg to differ. I've been offered a PDB, plus two drink runs and two snack basket passes on a PHL-DCA flight of similar distance. I think it all depends on the crew.
This.

I've flown CLT-RDU many times, and have always received great F service. Usually the FA takes drink orders before takeoff, and is out of their seat right after the wheels are off the ground.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: US PP
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I agree. I was on a turbulent BOS-DCA flight where I was offered a PDB and 2 drink runs (for F only).
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by USFlyer26
...I've flown CLT-RDU many times, and have always received great F service. Usually the FA takes drink orders before takeoff, and is out of their seat right after the wheels are off the ground.
My experience is similar (the few times I've flown CLT-RDU lately).

I've always declined PDB on this short flight ... with US Clubs in both RDU/CLT, there's only so much my bladder can hold
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by will2288
I recently flew in F CLT-RDU on a 737-400 (A fare).

I was a bit disappointed that there was zero service in F. No PDB of any kind, and no drinks or snacks in-flight. Boarding and flight time seemed average, and there were no weather issues that I noticed.

Now I realize this is a very short flight, so I expected very little. I would have been happy with a bottle of water and a pack of peanuts.

Is it normal for US to have zero service in F on these types of flights?
It's a 130 mile flight, which means the aircraft may not even get above 10,000 feet - i.e. flight attendants would not be able to get up and have a service run even if they wanted to.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
For comparison, I've had great service in First on an even shorter hop from PHX-TUS. PDB, two passes for drinks in-flight. I couldn't keep up That route is serviced by US Airways Express (Mesa), which I've generally had good experiences with regardless of flight duration.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:40 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation Here's The Funny Thing...

Originally Posted by Camarones
For comparison, I've had great service in First on an even shorter hop from PHX-TUS. PDB, two passes for drinks in-flight. I couldn't keep up That route is serviced by US Airways Express (Mesa), which I've generally had good experiences with regardless of flight duration.
On mainline flight between PHX>TUS, NO SERVICE what so ever! But on express jets (CRJ900) pre-departure, & 2 more offerings during the flight!!!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
It's a 130 mile flight, which means the aircraft may not even get above 10,000 feet - i.e. flight attendants would not be able to get up and have a service run even if they wanted to.
At least two posters here have been served drinks on this flight.

For comparison, LH manages to serve a small meal on the even shorter FRA-DUS, so it certainly is possible (I understand why US doesn't serve a meal, and certainly didn't expect it).

Thanks for the responses. It looks like I got a bad crew. Glad to hear they usually serve at least one drink.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:50 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Here's the skinny. This is the procedure for CLT-RDU-CLT:

FC~ PDB
In air- Bev and snack mix
Coach- small water bottles or juice.

There is no longer any such thing as a "no serve". Anyone that does that short of severe turbulence or some medical emergency should be written up. Complaining here accomplished NOTHING.

Here. I'll make it easy for you:

http://www.usairways.com/Forms/CustomerRelations.aspx

Sorry, don't mean to be snarly. It's that darn prednisone steroid I'm taking for the cancer and it sometimes makes me feel less than kind, but I do mean it with the best of intentions. PLEASE PLEASE, write these things up!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by flight62

FC~ PDB

There is no longer any such thing as a "no serve". Anyone that does that short of severe turbulence or some medical emergency should be written up. Complaining here accomplished NOTHING.

Sorry, don't mean to be snarly. It's that darn prednisone steroid I'm taking for the cancer and it sometimes makes me feel less than kind, but I do mean it with the best of intentions. PLEASE PLEASE, write these things up!
+1
Complaining here is great for a stress relief, but does nothing to actually get things fixed. I've been told by a couple different mid-tier managers at US that, while their staff does read this site frequently, it's not a corporate-sanctioned intake for complaints. So complaining here doesn't register it with US even if US staff reads it.

Please, please write it up. They can't fix it if they don't know it's broken, and like many companies, if it doesn't come in through proper channels, your complaint doesn't exist.

Flight62 as always, thanks for your presence on this board!!! Still sending you the healing vibes and wishes for a smooth recovery!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:34 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by flight62

FC~ PDB

Point of order on this statement. On MAINLINE this is the service. On Express there is no service in economy on certain routes such as CLT-RDu and DCA-PHL. We are not given those little bottles of water or juice cups. Its a request only service.

Another thing many of my mainline friends have all been complaining about the amount of turbulence yesterday and today. So maybe the captain said to stay seated and not do a service.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your insights. I will send a note to US, now that I know service should have been done.

The flight was a few weeks ago and the weather seemed fine (but, of course, the pilots might have known of some issues). Even if there was weather, a PDB would have been nice, but no I didn't make any requests that went unfilled.

On a positive note, the first leg BOS-CLT had a great FA with full PDB and friendly service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.